Police: We’re why ‘The Hateful Eight’ is bombing at box office

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
http://pagesix.com/2016/01/14/cops-take-credit-for-hateful-eight-bombing/

I'd like to give cops the credit for killing this movie, but that's not how it is.

My wife and I saw it and it just wasn't that good.

Like other Quentin Terantino movies it was violent, disgusting, and over the top with bad language and disgusting displays of blood.

But there wasn't really anything clever to offset the senseless violence.

Pretty much, it was one character getting killed off one by one until everyone was dead. That's the entire plot.

Kurt Russell and Samuel Jackson did what they could, and both came off as total bad-asses. But it wasn't enough to save the movie from its own mediocrity.

I'd like to give cops the credit for killing this movie, but that's not how it is.

Like other Quentin Terantino movies it was violent, disgusting, and over the top with bad language and disgusting displays of blood.

Pretty much, it was one character getting killed off one by one until everyone was dead. That's the entire plot.

Kurt Russell and Samuel Jackson did what they could, and both came off as total bad-asses. But it wasn't enough to save the movie from its own mediocrity.

I haven't seen the movie so based on your review I will just wait until it comes out on DVD. As an aside, I hope the cops don't think they really have the power to make or break a hollywood production.

I haven't seen the movie so based on your review I will just wait until it comes out on DVD. As an aside, I hope the cops don't think they really have the power to make or break a hollywood production.

They got me not to go. I doubt I'm alone. 1 person tells 2, who tell 4.

It adds up.

First weekend it was 9th, second weekend 3rd, now 6th.
Hopefully it turns out to be quite the stinker.

Not worth the price of admission. Better off waiting until a channel decides to broadcast it and you'll save yourself from the let down of expecting something better from Tarentino.

They got me not to go. I doubt I'm alone. 1 person tells 2, who tell 4.

It adds up.

Yep. They got me not to go also. There's a million cops in America. They all have 2 parents. Often a spouse or girlfriend. Kids. Siblings. Cousins.

Son for every 1 cop there are 9 or 10 people close to that cop who loves him. Those people often take the cop hate even harder than the cop does.

Of course the police boycott has been a part of this movie's failure. After this bomb, Tarantino will have to lower his funding expectations for his next project.

Of course the police boycott has been a part of this movie's failure. After this bomb, Tarantino will have to lower his funding expectations for his next project.

It'll probably do just a bit better than break even. But it's certainly not going to be a cash cow.

The cops might have played a small part but not that much adding to what the OP said the fact it's three hours long and opened against Star Wars didn't help I also think opening it during the holiday season likely to try and get oscar nominations was a bad idea. This is the type of movie that would do better with a summer opening date in my opinion.

Quentin Tarantino is a misguided fool, IMO, who delights in offending God and doing little to atone for his transgressions. It is a common theme found among mankind. I can never understand it. His latest episode of denigrating our police force is truly unforgiveable.

Personally, I cannot tell you how much I "love" violence and gore and gross scenes in movies. So cutting edge. So daring. So impressive. But seriously, a complete turn off. Hollywood has been a full throttle loser for many decades in my world.

Last edited:
excellent movie.....and the cops havent done a damn thing to hurt it...

What makes it "excellent?"

This IS a Tarantino movie, I'm not sure that is and adjective that fits with ANY Tarantino movies. Some are fun, some are entertaining, but "excellent?" Get real.

The more I read the more I thinkI WILL go see the movie in a theater. Tarantino shouldn't be penalized for telling the truth. Besides, cops are generally not real friends of anyone that is not a cop or a relative of theirs. If all the relatives of people who have been unjustly killed, maimed or brutalized by cops would initiate a counter strategy by supporting this movie that would be great.

The more I read the more I thinkI WILL go see the movie in a theater. Tarantino shouldn't be penalized for telling the truth. Besides, cops are generally not real friends of anyone that is not a cop or a relative of theirs. If all the relatives of people who have been unjustly killed, maimed or brutalized by cops would initiate a counter strategy by supporting this movie that would be great.
They probably are. There aren't that many cop haters.

What truth? He portrayed Michael Brown as an innocent guy murdered by a cop. Not a person who had JUST COMMITTED a violent felony, was stopped by a cop, attacked said cop, and was killed attacking said cop.

As you consider Quentin Terantino movies to be violent, disgusting and over the top with foul language and disgusting displays of blood....why spend your money to see them, only to bash them later???
My preference for movies is for there to be plenty of carnage and I can just ignore the language, as I served on ships and the snipes couldn't seem to complete a sentence without foul language inserted. You just get numb to it, so that doesn't bother me. Only use it myself when I get injured or really angry at someone/something.
As far as Hateful Eight was concerned, two-thirds of it was boring, that's what killed it at the box office.

The cops might have played a small part but not that much adding to what the OP said the fact it's three hours long and opened against Star Wars didn't help I also think opening it during the holiday season likely to try and get oscar nominations was a bad idea. This is the type of movie that would do better with a summer opening date in my opinion.

I think the police thing may have dropped it about 20%. 1,000,000 cops....all with 5-10 close relatives or friends who care. That's a lot of middle class movie going people.

But the other factors made a bigger impact. However....I'll join in the claim cops caused it all, just for fun!

Forum List

Back