Political Theatre, In the House, resumes 10:00 A.M.

Pretty much the entire House is in the House. Democrats are demanding Rep. Issa give a formal apology on the floor of the House for his behavior, on a number of occurrences. I thought the floor had an unusually high amount of background noise. Given the fact that all the Republicans are there also it there must have been some forewarning.

The was a nice speech about debt by Rep. Olson (TX) about national debt. So I am assuming the Republicans controlled House will take up one of those bills like unemployment benefit extension or immigration reform which have been passed by the Senate and will receive Obama's signature and, oh yeah, will bring down the debt. Nice little item Rep. Oslon threw in right at the end there. Repeal the "death tax", in other words the estate tax. Will that help reduce the debt? No. Just the opposite. And who does it benefit? Rich. Republican Representative in a Republican House blaming the President.

"The problem is is that the way Bush has done it over the past eight years is to take out a credit card from the bank of China in the name of our children driving up our national debt ..."
What Bush did was to push off the costs of his policies until after he was out of office. It would not show up one the books until Bush was out of office. Ever heard the term, "unfunded mandates"? In addition to that he pushed up the debt, a double whammie. I do hope you are not going to argue the Bushes policies were worth it.

It is obvious that you don't have a clue as to what is meant by "off the books" or "unfunded liabilities". Off the books, is a cute little term made up to obfuscate the validity of spending that is not included in the budget. That spending is not deferred, and is part of the national debt and annual deficit, when spent. Unfunded liabilities refers to mandated future spending, almost entirely caused by the entitlement programs. Since we do not currently put aside money to pay those future bills, they are unfunded liabilities.

Currently, we have well over $100 Trillion in legally mandated future spending that will occur over the next fifty years or so. These include SS retirement and disability, Military retirement and disability, Civil Service retirement, etc..

Last edited by a moderator:
The was a nice speech about debt by Rep. Olson (TX) about national debt.

He's the epitome of the teabagger idiot. When will he realize that a. The debt limit increase has already been passed, and b. Congress is required to pay the bills. These bills are already incurred as a result of laws passed by Congress. Thus, the debt ceiling needs to be increased.

So I am assuming the Republicans controlled House will take up one of those bills like unemployment benefit extension or immigration reform which have been passed by the Senate and will receive Obama's signature and, oh yeah, will bring down the debt.

Are you kidding me? Common sense laws like those benefitting the American people? Are you out of your mind????

They're too busy trying to repeal Obamacare for the millionth time!

Last edited:
Pretty much the entire House is in the House. Democrats are demanding Rep. Issa give a formal apology on the floor of the House for his behavior, on a number of occurrences. I thought the floor had an unusually high amount of background noise. Given the fact that all the Republicans are there also it there must have been some forewarning.

Back to one minute speeches, end of the day. Going to be good to see this plays out.

The was a nice speech about debt by Rep. Olson (TX) about national debt.

He's the epitome of the teabagger idiot. When will he realize that a. The debt limit increase has already been passed, and b. Congress is required to pay the bills. These bills are already incurred as a result of laws passed by Congress. Thus, the debt ceiling needs to be increased.

So I am assuming the Republicans controlled House will take up one of those bills like unemployment benefit extension or immigration reform which have been passed by the Senate and will receive Obama's signature and, oh yeah, will bring down the debt.

Are you kidding me? Common sense laws like those benefitting the American people? Are you out of your mind????

They're too busy trying to repeal Obamacare for the millionth time!

51st, but whose counting. ;)

Democrats are taking an hour to advocate for a vote on extending unemployment insurance in case anyone needs a refresher on despising Republicans.

I was reading through "How our Laws are Made" written by the Committee on the Judiciary of the House of Representatives. This was stated in the House Democrat's PRIVILEGED RESOLUTION AGAINST THE OFFENSIVE ACTIONS OF CHAIRMAN DARRELL E. ISSA but I will just repeat it here for good message. As stated in House Rule XI:
Each member of the committee is provided five minutes in the interrogation of each witness until each member of the committee who desires to question a witness has had an opportunity to do so. In addition, a committee may adopt a rule or motion to permit committee members to question a witness for a specified period not longer than one hour. Committee staff may also be permitted to question a witness for a specified period not longer than one hour. A transcript of the testimony taken at a public hearing is made.
How Our Laws are Made - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

This rule is clearly stated and there can be little doubt that Chairman Issa was aware of this rule when he ignored it. Has power gone so far to the Republican's heads that they don't believe the rules apply to them any more? They make a mockery of the House of Representatives. While it is Rep. Issa who broke the rule directly not a single Republican Representative will stand for the sanctity of the House over the unity of the party. This government was not established as a play thing for the Republican party.

Forum List

Back