Politically correct discrimination

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/01/opinion/caplan-smokers-hospitals

Hospital systems in Florida, Georgia, Massachusetts, Missouri, Idaho, Virginia, Ohio, Tennessee, and Texas are all joining forces and refusing to hire people who have smoked in the last 6 months. Many other businesses are also doing it.

As with most things, it comes down to money. Workers who smoke cost employers $3,391 more per year than those who do not smoke.

Is this legal? Is this right?

Smoking is legal. As is having babies, boxing, drinking beer, eating junk food and alot of other things that might have a negative impact for an employer.

I'm not smoking, can't say I am very fond of the habit, but the procecution of people who smokes seems rabid.

Barring smokers from hospital jobs unfair - CNN.com

Hospital systems in Florida, Georgia, Massachusetts, Missouri, Idaho, Virginia, Ohio, Tennessee, and Texas are all joining forces and refusing to hire people who have smoked in the last 6 months. Many other businesses are also doing it.

As with most things, it comes down to money. Workers who smoke cost employers $3,391 more per year than those who do not smoke.

Neither in my opinion I feel it falls under discrimination given the people have broken no laws and smoking does not make one unqualified for a job it seems to me the better idea would be to hire them and offer them work related incentives to quit.

If anyone should be denied a job due to the prospect of increased health costs, it is the gay male.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/statistics/basics/ataglance.html

Gay men account for only 4% of the population, but they account for well over 78% of the new HIV cases that have been documented.

Last edited:

They should have the right to discriminate based on any characteristic. Sexuality, race, politics, habits, etc. Doesn't mean it's right, but it is their right do so in a free country.

They should have the right to discriminate based on any characteristic. Sexuality, race, politics, habits, etc. Doesn't mean it's right, but it is their right do so in a free country.

So why does the law allow discriminating against smokers but not blacks or gays?

So why does the law allow discriminating against smokers but not blacks or gays?
Smoking is no longer P.C.

Because they’re not perceived as a protected class. And whether it’s legal or not depends on what state the company is located in:

[T]here’s no federal law that protects smokers or entitles them to equal protections when it comes to hiring, promotions, etc. That’s because the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission doesn’t recognize smokers as a protected class.

That said, there are 29 states (along with the District of Columbia) that do offer protections for smokers.

If your company is in one of those states, you can’t refuse to hire people just because they smoke (although you can turn them down for other, legitimate reasons).

A ban on hiring smokers? It?s not that simple

I do not smoke, but this and other nonsensical agendas are the reason I had my own show for may years.

I wonder how many people whining about this support those "right to work" states...

nice try but it's in union states too...so dont get too wet. The fact is it's the liberal concept of perfection and we all must have it, therefore anyone who isnt perfect will suffer.....good luck in that arena!

Forum List

Back