Poll, The Third Amendment: Was it intended to protect you from ...

The Third Amendment Protects us Against...

• Our Government, and I'm a liberal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Foreign Governments, and I'm a conservative

• Foreign Governments, and I'm a liberal

• Total voters
Of course it is. The 3rd was written in the spirit of the old British people's distrust and somewhat disgust of their British military. Remember, those red coats did some bad shit on our land also. They wanted to be sure that US citizens didnt have to house troops, and their reason........to prevent troops from "living amongst" the citizens, and thus, enabling tyranny.

In fact, the earliest days of domestic police came from England. They wore blue to contrast the British military's red. The Brits wanted to be SURE there was no mix up there. Red troops stayed ONLY on military barracks. Blue police did domestic stuff, "amongst the citizens".

So the 3rd was to ensure that troops didnt live "amongst the citizens", but instead only in barracks, to ensure no tyranny could creep in. It did this by saying the citizens couldnt be forced to house troops. And with the troops low pay of the time, they wouldnt be able to afford housing, and with free barracks housing available, the Founder's felt certain this would keep military tyranny at bay.

BUT in 2013, YOUR tax money goes to pay for the off base housing of troops "amongst the citizens". Yep. YOU pay for the rent of private apartments and homes for US troops to live amongst you. It directly goes against the spirit of what the Founders were trying to prevent.

So, I expect the right wing to begin to rally against the off base housing of troops being paid with tax dollars.

Of course it is. The 3rd was written in the spirit of the old British people's distrust and somewhat disgust of their British military. Remember, those red coats did some bad shit on our land also. They wanted to be sure that US citizens didnt have to house troops, and their reason........to prevent troops from "living amongst" the citizens, and thus, enabling tyranny.

In fact, the earliest days of domestic police came from England. They wore blue to contrast the British military's red. The Brits wanted to be SURE there was no mix up there. Red troops stayed ONLY on military barracks. Blue police did domestic stuff, "amongst the citizens".

So the 3rd was to ensure that troops didnt live "amongst the citizens", but instead only in barracks, to ensure no tyranny could creep in. It did this by saying the citizens couldnt be forced to house troops. And with the troops low pay of the time, they wouldnt be able to afford housing, and with free barracks housing available, the Founder's felt certain this would keep military tyranny at bay.

BUT in 2013, YOUR tax money goes to pay for the off base housing of troops "amongst the citizens". Yep. YOU pay for the rent of private apartments and homes for US troops to live amongst you. It directly goes against the spirit of what the Founders were trying to prevent.

So, I expect the right wing to begin to rally against the off base housing of troops being paid with tax dollars.

You seem to be forgetting that any place troops live today, it is with the consent of the owners of the property, quite unlike what it was like then.

So I had this liberal adamantly deny that the Third Amendment was meant to protect us from our own government, I thought I'd get the global response, both left and right.

You’re obviously a liar, since you weren’t talking to any ‘liberal.’

The Third Amendment protects us from government in the context of privacy rights; in conjunction with other Amendments, the Third Amendment prohibits the state from invading one’s home, private places, and anywhere there’s a reasonable expectation of privacy. See: Griswold v. Connecticut (1965).

The prohibition of quartering solders in one’s private home addressed more than just the inconvenience and financial burden the homeowner might consequently incur; the ‘soldier’ represents any manifestation of the state, including listening devices.

In addition to reinforcing the doctrine of privacy rights, the Third Amendment also addresses the right to freely assemble and associate codified in the First Amendment. Clearly one could not conduct a meeting in his private home of opponents to the government if indeed an agent of the state was always present, always reporting to the government – whether that agent of the state be analog or digital.

As technology continues to advance and grow, further diminishing one’s zone of privacy, off limits to the state, the Third Amendment will be an important Constitutional ally in defending each citizens’ cherished zone of privacy and individual liberty.

So I had this liberal adamantly deny that the Third Amendment was meant to protect us from our own government, I thought I'd get the global response, both left and right.

You’re obviously a liar, since you weren’t talking to any ‘liberal.’

You're right, it's impossible that I'd ever talk to a liberal in the State of New York at Stony Brook University.

:clap2:

Forum List

Back