Pope Francis: Even Atheists Can Be Redeemed

Glensather

Gothic Vampires
Nov 10, 2012
World 1-1
"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! 'Father, the atheists?' Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class. We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all. And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: We need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. 'But I don't believe, Father, I am an atheist!' But do good: We will meet one another there."

So... doesn't matter whether or not I believe, so long as I'm a good person, I'll get to Heaven if I die?

Well hot damn.

In all seriousness though, I'm posting this to get the forum's opinion on hearing these words. Now obviously Protestants and Catholics are entirely different denominations, and I seriously doubt any Protestant would take anything the Pope says seriously, but to me it sounds like this:

"Don't believe in anything, just be a good person."

I feel like that's the complete opposite of how you want to run your church? Just sayin'...

(If there are any Catholics here, please enlighten me to this. I don't want to insult anyone.)

"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! 'Father, the atheists?' Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class. We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all. And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: We need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. 'But I don't believe, Father, I am an atheist!' But do good: We will meet one another there."

So... doesn't matter whether or not I believe, so long as I'm a good person, I'll get to Heaven if I die?

Well hot damn.

In all seriousness though, I'm posting this to get the forum's opinion on hearing these words. Now obviously Protestants and Catholics are entirely different denominations, and I seriously doubt any Protestant would take anything the Pope says seriously, but to me it sounds like this:

I feel like that's the complete opposite of how you want to run your church? Just sayin'...

(If there are any Catholics here, please enlighten me to this. I don't want to insult anyone.)

The bible calls this the spirit of Anti- Christ. He is denying Jesus Christ is LORD. He is saying Jesus was a liar and as the Pope I'll speak for God so disregard what the bible says and listen to me.

Jesus said, Ye must be born again to enter the Kingdom of heaven. This man says, you don't need salvation, you don't need to be born again to enter heaven. You don't even have to believe in God. He is a mouthpiece for Satan and the Catholics should be making a mass exodus for the door right about now. The bible warns of such false teachers and we are to stay away from them. He is preaching a false gospel here. Very dangerous.

-Jeremiah

One of the prophecies of Fatima or some secret that was sealed was there would be 51 popes to serve the Roman Catholic Church and the last one would assist the Beast or anti - christ. I cannot remember the name of the prophecy but it actually came out of the RCC I believe.

Anyhow a Pastor friend of mine told me that this guy they just installed is the 51st pope. So this would be the one that would be working with the anti christ. Looks like he fits the description to a T. Wow. - Jeremiah

Well hot damn.

He is basically saying that what is important is that we do good, not how fervently or even what we believe. It is how you act in this life that matters. Who could possibly look at that philosophy and not call it evil?

Well hot damn.

While Catholicism has always stated that they are the "One True Church" when it comes to doctrine, they have never really been that vigourous in saying they are the only exclusive path to salvation. You get that more with "determinist" protestant churches, where they belief is that salvation ONLY comes from God, and man has not role in determining who is saved, and who is not. Catholics have always beleived that while savlation comes from God, it is a persons own CHOICE to accept that salvation, or to reject it.

The RCC has always had the goal of bringing the other churches back into the fold. It is why they allow certian areas of the Church to not follow 100% church doctrine (Eastern Rite Catholics and Celibacy for example)

Well hot damn.

While Catholicism has always stated that they are the "One True Church" when it comes to doctrine, they have never really been that vigourous in saying they are the only exclusive path to salvation. You get that more with "determinist" protestant churches, where they belief is that salvation ONLY comes from God, and man has not role in determining who is saved, and who is not. Catholics have always beleived that while savlation comes from God, it is a persons own CHOICE to accept that salvation, or to reject it.

The RCC has always had the goal of bringing the other churches back into the fold. It is why they allow certian areas of the Church to not follow 100% church doctrine (Eastern Rite Catholics and Celibacy for example)

I think what he is saying is that you can reject it and still be "saved". So long as you are a good person who does good acts, you are fine whether you believe in Jesus or not. Of course, the flip side of that is that if you are not a good person and do not do good acts, you're screwed whether you believe or not. I think that might be a sticking point for a lot of folks.

Well hot damn.

I think what he is saying is that you can reject it and still be "saved". So long as you are a good person who does good acts, you are fine whether you believe in Jesus or not. Of course, the flip side of that is that if you are not a good person and do not do good acts, you're screwed whether you believe or not. I think that might be a sticking point for a lot of folks.

If you look at Dante's Inferno, while evildoers of any faith ended up in hell (Brutus, Cassius, Mohammed) , pagans of righteous virtue ended up in Limbo, where the only punishment was not being with God.
Believers were held to a higher standard, so if a devout person broke the rules, BAM, into whatever circle of hell you deserve you went.

I realize the Divine Comedy is not a church doctrinal document, but it does give a window into the belief structure of catholicsm, (at least in Dante's view).

If you look at Dante's Inferno, while evildoers of any faith ended up in hell (Brutus, Cassius, Mohammed) , pagans of righteous virtue ended up in Limbo, where the only punishment was not being with God.
Believers were held to a higher standard, so if a devout person broke the rules, BAM, into whatever circle of hell you deserve you went.

I realize the Divine Comedy is not a church doctrinal document, but it does give a window into the belief structure of catholicsm, (at least in Dante's view).

I admit I pay little attention to CC doctrine. I'm just reading what the man had to say. While I personally don't belive in redemption - I don't believe any of us needs to be redeemed - I can certainly understand the idea that what you are is more important than what particular myths you hold. It definitely fits in with my myths - so it must be True.

If you believe in Jesus then you should know that according to the dogma he did redeem every human being. So yeah, saying an atheist is redeemed is consistent with Catholic teachings.

The pope said nothing regarding heaven and hell.

Well hot damn.

The bible calls this the spirit of Anti- Christ. He is denying Jesus Christ is LORD. He is saying Jesus was a liar and as the Pope I'll speak for God so disregard what the bible says and listen to me.

Jesus said, Ye must be born again to enter the Kingdom of heaven. This man says, you don't need salvation, you don't need to be born again to enter heaven. You don't even have to believe in God. He is a mouthpiece for Satan and the Catholics should be making a mass exodus for the door right about now. The bible warns of such false teachers and we are to stay away from them. He is preaching a false gospel here. Very dangerous.

-Jeremiah

He said nothing of the sort. If anyone is a mouthpiece for Satan it is you, you nasty little twit. You really have your work cut out for you if you wish to get into heaven.

Well hot damn.

And Judaism never taught you have to "Believe"

That is why Judaism or fundamentalist Christianity have nothing in common.

"My rabbi said, 'You know Maxim, God doesn't care whether you believe in him or not. All that he cares is that you do the right
thing.' Our action in the world is much more important."

Atheist Jews: Judaism Without God

Well hot damn.

"My rabbi said, 'You know Maxim, God doesn't care whether you believe in him or not. All that he cares is that you do the right

Did he also teach you to be a smug religous hating little prick?

Well hot damn.

Such an angry little pecker head when presented with facts :eusa_whistle:

An Jew can be an atheist and is never removes from the community. A Jew taking on a different religion such as following yeshu the mamzer is removed from the community. (another pesky fact):eusa_whistle:

Last edited:

Whoa, nice edit there. So now you are claiming to be Jewish after your previous post on banning people from teaching religion to thier children?

If you are going to be a troll, at least be a consistent troll.

Well hot damn.

Looks like the CC is moving to a more reality based thinking , hopefully it will even evolve further.

Whoa, nice edit there. So now you are claiming to be Jewish after your previous post on banning people from teaching religion to thier children?

No only literal fundamentalist religions , you would know that if you can comprehend the posts I made.

Fundamentalist Fervor Increases Child Abuse

Fundamentalist Fervor Increases Child Abuse - Humanism by Joseph C. Sommer | Humanism by Joseph C. Sommer

Last edited:

No only literal fundamentalist religions , you would know that if you can comprehend the posts I made.

Odd, because this is what you quoted in your original post in the above referenced thread:

Every person ever born on this planet was born an atheist. Without exception. Religion is a learned belief. Yet very few people end up being atheists. And even less people are atheists as a child. So what happens between birth and adulthood? What happens is children are indoctrinated at an early age, and by the time they are allowed to question their religion, they are often in too deep to question it.Forced into Faith: How Religion Abuses Children's Rights

Don't see any reference to fundamentalism there....

or in the title.

should children be exposed to religion at an age where they can’t make an educated de

Also, learn about the character limits in post titles.

Atheists can be redeemed. Everyone can be redeemed. They do so through faith in Christ and His Atoning sacrifice.

Forum List

Back