Pope Francis: No hell, and some of the Bible is obsolete

Really? Jesus hasn't done shit for me.

He died on the cross to pay for your sins, now you're free to sin all you want, because Jesus already picked up the tab. :D

That's why the pope realized that there's no hell, because nobody has to pay for their sins, jesus already took care of it.

Just to clarify, this thread's OP story seems to have originated on a satirical website similar to The Onion. The quotes attributed to the Pope are false, and the very story is being called a hoax everywhere.

I believed it was true initially because given the other stuff the Pope has definitely said, it seemed consistent. Plus, I guess I wanted to believe it too. :) Alas.

Last edited:
I saw a different story that was satire.

Too good to be true? Probably. But that is good satire, when it's believable. And it does fit with other things he has said.

I continue to find this Pope a breath of fresh air.

Thanks for the head's up. :)

I saw a different story that was satire.

Too good to be true? Probably. But that is good satire, when it's believable. And it does fit with other things he has said.

I continue to find this Pope a breath of fresh air.

Thanks for the head's up. :)

No problem. I too believed it given the other things he's said - it seemed consistent. Why it's such a good story. And of course, I wanted to believe he said it. :)

Discovered the satire googling for more information and wondering why it wasn't a major story with only a couple hundred thousand hits instead of tens of millions like you'd think it would be. :)

Catholic Encyclopedia says there's no literal hell as well (or at least explains the various ideas about it none of which explaining where it is in time/space.)
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Hell

Hell didn't exist until Catholicism did and said it does. The idea doesn't exist in Judaism. The eternally punished in Judaism just don't get ressurected, while the good people do.

Then how do you interpret this verse in Daniel? It seems that the good and bad will be resurrected from the sleep of death, the righteous will rise to eternal life and the others will rise only to hear their doom.

Then many of those that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to the shame of eternal abhorrence.." Daniel 12:2

Last edited:
Catholic Encyclopedia says there's no literal hell as well (or at least explains the various ideas about it none of which explaining where it is in time/space.)

Hell didn't exist until Catholicism did and said it does. The idea doesn't exist in Judaism. The eternally punished in Judaism just don't get ressurected, while the good people do.

Then how do you interpret this verse in Daniel? It seems that the good and bad will be resurrected from the sleep of death, the righteous will rise to eternal life and the others will rise only to hear their doom.

Then many of those that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to the shame of eternal abhorrence.." Daniel 12:2

Can be shamed in death and not exist any more just as we do Hitler and Stalin. Both dead, but shamed for the rest of time. Nothing in that verse suggesting the sinners are resurrected into an anti-heaven like realm.

I think with how much people want to believe if they're good they get heaven leads inexoribly to thinking the not-good must get some kind of anti-reward like hell. But there's no such concept in Judaism. Christian version of the Jewish Tanach are HIGHLY edited to perpetuate these beliefs. Wanna know what the Tanach REALLY says, learn Hebrew and see for yourself.

If this was from a Catholic publication, I might come closer to believing it. However, it is from a blog called Diversity Chronicle maintaintained by Naijourban who is Nigerian and maintains an entertainment and news blog in Nigeria. He also posts friendly observations about Boko Haram.

There Is No Hell Fire; Adam & Eve Not Real - Pope Francis Exposes

“Through humility, soul searching, and prayerful contemplation we have gained a new understanding of certain dogmas. The church no longer believes in a literal hell where people suffer. This doctrine is incompatible with the infinite love of God. God is not a judge but a friend and a lover of humanity. God seeks not to condemn but only to embrace. Like the fable of Adam and Eve, we see hell as a literary device. Hell is merely a metaphor for the isolated soul, which like all souls ultimately will be united in love with God.”
Further;

“God is changing and evolving as we are, For God lives in us and in our hearts. When we spread love and kindness in the world, we touch our own divinity and recognize it. The Bible is a beautiful holy book, but like all great and ancient works, some passages are outdated. Some even call for intolerance or judgement. The time has come to see these verses as later interpolations, contrary to the message of love and truth, which otherwise radiates through scripture. In accordance with our new understanding, we will begin to ordain women as cardinals, bishops and priests. In the future, it is my hope that we will have a woman pope one day. Let no door be closed to women that is open to men!”
I don't care what anybody says, nor that I am not Catholic. I love this pontiff.

A lot of what he is now saying addresses the doubts that I have faced over the past ten years or so. I cannot place my faith in some spiritual bully. I see too much ugliness in those who call themselves by his name. The things they say and do repel people from God, not draw them closer.

Did you look at the site Betty?

I love this one.

Video: Man Stuck Inside Another Man's Wife After Husband Uses Black Magic On Her

I'm not going to try to mix it up with anybody here.

My perceptions stand. I understand that you are in disagreement.

Feel free to dispute the existence of Hell, I do myself, just don't believe any site that claims the Pope said it.

Especially the one you found.

Can be shamed in death and not exist any more just as we do Hitler and Stalin. Both dead, but shamed for the rest of time. Nothing in that verse suggesting the sinners are resurrected into an anti-heaven like realm.

I think with how much people want to believe if they're good they get heaven leads inexoribly to thinking the not-good must get some kind of anti-reward like hell. But there's no such concept in Judaism. Christian version of the Jewish Tanach are HIGHLY edited to perpetuate these beliefs. Wanna know what the Tanach REALLY says, learn Hebrew and see for yourself.

It does no say anything about being shamed in death it speaks of being shamed after rising from the sleep of death.

That implies knowledge of their fate and a deliberate choice to not be purified and refined even if it means they will have no place in the next world, which further implies the dead that will rise are not biologically dead yet..

"Many will be purified and refined making their clothes shining white, but the wicked will continue in wickedness and none of them shall understand."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back