Popeyes manager fired for refusing to pay back $400 taken in armed robbery

I disagree. It is a very dangerous occupation. One study shows that working in a convenience store is second in danger to driving a taxi. Especially at night. Taxi drivers are assaulted in the States often. You want to say there is no danger, but that is ridiculous as this thread itself is based on an incident when a clerk was held up a gun point. It's ridiculous to be posting in a thread that proves how dangerous this job is and then say it isn't dangerous.

You have a far greater chance of being struck by lighting if you don't avoid the risk. For example, if you stand under a tree during a lighting storm, you have a far better chance of being struck by lighting. You may not live in an area that has a lot of lightening storms. If you work in a convenience store, you choose to put yourself under that tree, to be in a place where there are a lot of lightening storms. Your risk increases.

I bet you're a shut in.

So typical, when losing an argument....start the snark.

Being the victim of a crime is not risking your life for a job.

Walking into a burning building is risking your life.

See the difference?
Both risk their life

One voluntary.....one not

Risk is not involuntary.

Risk is the potential of losing something of value. Values (such as physical health, social status, emotional well being or financial wealth) can be gained or lost ...

She could have lost her life, which is something of value, ergo, at risk.

Being at risk and saying she was "risking her life" are two entirely different things

She was at risk..........ergo risking her life......only someone devoid of comprehension would think that is not the same thing.

She stood with a gun in her face for a $10 an hour job. She coolly emptied the cash drawers and prevented the incident from escallating and injuring customers and employees

Her actions leading to $400 in the cash drawers were more important to the owner than her actions during the robbery

It's not hyperbole at all. People who work in those stores are at risk. The situation in the OP is a perfect example. You were just lucky.

Yeah OK.

Instances of robbery are pretty rare. And believe me if I thought working the counter at 7 11 was "risky" I sure as shit wouldn't have dome it for the $6 an hour I was getting back then
Convenience store clerks have been shown to be at high risk for assault and homicide, mostly owing to robbery or robbery attempts.
A matched case-control study of convenience store robbery risk factors. - PubMed - NCBI

In the early 1990s, federal studies showed that grocery and convenience store workers had the fourth highest mortality rate of retail workers (after employees of liquor stores, gas stations, and jewelry stores).
Convenience Store Clerks
Homicide ranks as one of the leading types of occupational injury in the United States, accounting for over 1100 worker deaths in the most recent year. In the period 1980 -1989, the rate of employee homicide was reported as 8.0 per 100,000 with 75 percent of these homicides resulting from gunshots. After taxicabs, convenience stores have the highest prevalence of workplace homicide
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/173772.pdf

As of 2012:
Statistics from the U.S. Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation show convenience store robberies continue to account for about six percent of all robberies reported to police.
Convenience Store Injuries in Atlanta - Robbery Risks are Real - Georgia Workers Compensation Attorney Blog

I repeat: you were lucky.

I don't believe in luck.

I can't remember the last time any convenience store within 20 miles of me was robbed.

And a 6% incidence rate counts as pretty rare.

You have a 94% chance of not being robbed while working at a convenience store.

Those are pretty damn good odds that your life is not at risk

"Risk" doesn't work that way. It's not like an electoral vote where "winner takes all". :lol:

It's a question of how much risk. In your example the risk would be 6% -- six out of a hundred. Or about eight hundred times more likely than being struck by lightning.

I have never worried about being struck by lightning have you? if you base all possibilities of being at risk on lightning strikes you must never leave your home

No, but I said 800 times MORE likely -- not AS likely.

Saying that working at a convenience store is "risking your life" is naught but hyperbole.

Is it?
How 'bout working as a cop? Or a soldier? Or an Ebola doctor in Guinea? NASCAR driver? Coal miner?

You''re still stuck on trying to draw a distinction between dative and accusative. I told you, English gave up that distinction so unless you're six hundred years old it no longer functions. Risk to one's life doesn't have to be self-induced.

Pregnant restaurant manager fired after armed robbery

"By the back of my shirt, he pulled me up and he pushed me to the front," she said. "He told me to give him everything out of my safe."
“I told them I'm not paying nothing. I just had a gun to me. I'm not paying the money.”
But the only thing Holcomb could open were the registers. The gunman got away with nearly $400.
After the robbery, Holcomb claimed that one of her managers gave her a choice: Pay the money back or be fired. Less than 36 hours later, she was fired.
"I don't think it's right because now I'm struggling for my family," she said. "What I had to do (was) keep my life."

However, a spokesman in the company's human resources department said Holcomb was fired because she didn't follow company policy, leaving too much money in the cash register. And this wasn't her first offense.

Holcomb said that Tuesday was busy: The restaurant offers a two-piece chicken meal for $1.19, and she moved money into the safe as fast as she could.
"They got what they got because that's what we made within one hour," she said

A manager often has to keep business flowing during a busy period rather than stopping to move cash

A manger has to do his job and if that job is bleeding the registers then that has to be done too.

I see no problem with her getting canned

Let me guess? You're a conservative and you have no empathy for people, right?

How many times do you let a person fuck up before you fire him?

Multiple instances of not bleeding the registers according to company policy ended up costing the company more than it should have.

The termination was justified
When a person risks her life for your business, that is not the time to add up her demerits.

She wasn't risking her life.

She was being robbed at gunpoint. That's risking her life.

Duh.

I would say that a $10 an hour employee who gets a gun pointed in her face is risking her life

The $10 an hour employee was there protecting the store. The owner was nowhere near the place

She had no security function other than keeping the till money dropped into the safe....a job she forgot to do and lost her job for it. Sure, she can have her job back but when the news dies down, she'll get the boot. If she's smart she'll take the $2K and skedaddle.

How do you know she "forgot"?

He doesn't. He's one of these many dolts who never managed a fast food restaurant and doesn't know how things get put on the back burner during busy times.

OMFG The robber had her at gunpoint. That is not risking your life? You're beyond anything reasonable or logical. You're scum. I wonder what you would do at gunpoint. Probably pee your pants.

See the difference?
Both risk their life

Risk is not involuntary.

Risk is the potential of losing something of value. Values (such as physical health, social status, emotional well being or financial wealth) can be gained or lost ...

Being at risk and saying she was "risking her life" are two entirely different things
No they are not.

I bet if somebody dug down into this incident they'd find that her manager fired her and she asked if there was any way she could keep her job. He probably said yeah if she paid back the $400 that was stolen. I doubt that was his first reaction.

First reaction? Second reaction? It doesn't matter. There's federal laws in place that prohibit employers from charging employees such amounts as to create a de facto slavery. This is where they fucked up and why corporate legal moved quickly to rectify the situation. Had she simply been fired, they might have stuck to their guns.

I disagree. It is a very dangerous occupation. One study shows that working in a convenience store is second in danger to driving a taxi. Especially at night. Taxi drivers are assaulted in the States often. You want to say there is no danger, but that is ridiculous as this thread itself is based on an incident when a clerk was held up a gun point. It's ridiculous to be posting in a thread that proves how dangerous this job is and then say it isn't dangerous.

You have a far greater chance of being struck by lighting if you don't avoid the risk. For example, if you stand under a tree during a lighting storm, you have a far better chance of being struck by lighting. You may not live in an area that has a lot of lightening storms. If you work in a convenience store, you choose to put yourself under that tree, to be in a place where there are a lot of lightening storms. Your risk increases.

I bet you're a shut in.
That's really, really, really hilarious. I live over seas. I have lived in 5 different countries on 3 different continents. I have traveled to about 40 countries, many of them several times, as an independent traveler--no tour groups, etc. I have back packed on my own throughout Spain and the Greek Islands. In fact, this summer, I am going to Greece again, to back pack around the islands, as a single woman. I have traveled all over Europe on my own without any tour groups. I have been to Asia a few times, on my own. No, I'm not a shut in. And I do put myself at some risk, I suppose, traveling independently like that, but I research what I do and I don't go to dangerous areas, especially at night. However, that is not the same as working in a dangerous setting day in and day out, evenings, night time, etc. People rob convenience stores, period.

Women working in those stores are especially at risk. I once dated a man whose ex-wife had worked at such a store. She was raped. It ruined their marriage. I have never spoken to anyone who has worked in that kind of store who hasn't been in a situation that is risky. Tell me, if it isn't risky, why do many stores have the cashiers inside a booth, so they cannot come into contact with patrons?

I suppose you also don't think being a bank teller is an occupation that is high risk. You are really an idiot.

It's not a righty or a lefty issue, it's an issue of right and wrong. Firing a pregnant woman after she had a gun stuck in her face was wrong. Offering her job if she coughs up $400 made it illegal.

Sounds like a staffing issue to me; she should only be obligated for the part she would have put at risk had there been sufficient employees to meet any Standard fixed by that Firm for cash on hand and realistic staff requirements during peak periods.

Sounds like a staffing issue to me; she should only be obligated for the part she would have put at risk had there been sufficient employees to meet any Standard fixed by that Firm for cash on hand and realistic staff requirements during peak periods.

Actually, the company is able to recover some of the loss from the IRS, no need to force an employee to pay it, especially in a situation where a person is held at gun-point.

She needs to hire a good lawyer that can sue the hell out of the company for having such an idiot manager that would demand an employee pay for the loss.

If you suffer a theft in the course of your business or trade, you may be entitled to a tax deduction equal to your loss. The theft can be anything from embezzlement to robbery, as long the action is illegal and you report it as a crime. The lost property can be money, equipment, supplies or even items owned by an employee for use on the job.
IRS Rules for Stolen Business Property Business Entrepreneurship - azcentral.com

See the difference?
Both risk their life

Risk is not involuntary.

She was at risk..........ergo risking her life......only someone devoid of comprehension would think that is not the same thing.

Wrong.

I have never worried about being struck by lightning have you? if you base all possibilities of being at risk on lightning strikes you must never leave your home

Right, so when it is thundering and lightning you purposely go find the biggest tree and stand under it. Or, you purposely go outside to the middle of the street with a lightning rod in your hand and point it at the sky.......:eek:
I've been backpacking in the Rockies during thunderstorms and never really worried about getting hit by lightning

You seem to worry about it all the time

I bet you're a shut in.

So typical, when losing an argument....start the snark.

If you think that a 6% chance of being robbed at work is "risky" how can you ever leave your house ?

If we listen to you we could say that simply getting out of bed is "risking your life"

It's hyperbole period

Yeah OK.

Instances of robbery are pretty rare. And believe me if I thought working the counter at 7 11 was "risky" I sure as shit wouldn't have dome it for the $6 an hour I was getting back then
Convenience store clerks have been shown to be at high risk for assault and homicide, mostly owing to robbery or robbery attempts.
A matched case-control study of convenience store robbery risk factors. - PubMed - NCBI

In the early 1990s, federal studies showed that grocery and convenience store workers had the fourth highest mortality rate of retail workers (after employees of liquor stores, gas stations, and jewelry stores).
Convenience Store Clerks
Homicide ranks as one of the leading types of occupational injury in the United States, accounting for over 1100 worker deaths in the most recent year. In the period 1980 -1989, the rate of employee homicide was reported as 8.0 per 100,000 with 75 percent of these homicides resulting from gunshots. After taxicabs, convenience stores have the highest prevalence of workplace homicide
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/173772.pdf

As of 2012:
Statistics from the U.S. Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation show convenience store robberies continue to account for about six percent of all robberies reported to police.
Convenience Store Injuries in Atlanta - Robbery Risks are Real - Georgia Workers Compensation Attorney Blog

I repeat: you were lucky.

I don't believe in luck.

I can't remember the last time any convenience store within 20 miles of me was robbed.

And a 6% incidence rate counts as pretty rare.

You have a 94% chance of not being robbed while working at a convenience store.

Those are pretty damn good odds that your life is not at risk

"Risk" doesn't work that way. It's not like an electoral vote where "winner takes all". :lol:

It's a question of how much risk. In your example the risk would be 6% -- six out of a hundred. Or about eight hundred times more likely than being struck by lightning.

No, but I said 800 times MORE likely -- not AS likely.

Saying that working at a convenience store is "risking your life" is naught but hyperbole.

Is it?
How 'bout working as a cop? Or a soldier? Or an Ebola doctor in Guinea? NASCAR driver? Coal miner?

You''re still stuck on trying to draw a distinction between dative and accusative. I told you, English gave up that distinction so unless you're six hundred years old it no longer functions. Risk to one's life doesn't have to be self-induced.

Sorry but no burger flipper is risking his life at his job.

If you think that a 6% chance of being robbed at work is "risky" how can you ever leave your house ?
I don't work at a convenience store nor a fast-food restaurant........:)

If we listen to you we could say that simply getting out of bed is "risking your life"
Listening to you, crime never happens......:)

It's hyperbole period
Just admit it.....your reasoning sucks.

The second that the robber entered the restaurant, she was risking her life
Any mis-step on her part could lead to her death or the death of a fellow employee or customer

All for $10 an hour

I've been backpacking in the Rockies during thunderstorms and never really worried about getting hit by lightning

You seem to worry about it all the time

No, I don't worry about it, but I don't stand under a tree with a lightning rod in my hand during a thunderstorm.

There's a difference between being prudent and being foolish, and you have proven which one you are. Hope your luck holds out.

Forum List

Back