Post Office orders 44,000 new trucks!!

So here are a couple simple suggestions related to snail mail delivery. Stop daily delivery and go to every other day. Secondly, put mailboxes in pairs in between houses instead of at the head of the driveway of each house. In my neighborhood alone that would eliminate 100 stops. It would save a lot of fuel, speed delivery times and save wear and tear on the vehicles.

My understanding is that the mail piles up too fast upstream in their system if they aren't processing it 24/7 so every other day delivery might make that situation worse. I personally would be fine with no Saturday delivery and them doing away with their extra parcel deliveries. I have seen as many as 3 different trucks in my hood on Sundays delivering packages. Why a single truck couldn't do it like a mail route is beyond me. Why they even bother kowtowing to amazon/UPS with sunday deliveries is beyond me.

My understanding is that the mail piles up too fast upstream in their system if they aren't processing it 24/7 so every other day delivery might make that situation worse. I personally would be fine with no Saturday delivery and them doing away with their extra parcel deliveries. I have seen as many as 3 different trucks in my hood on Sundays delivering packages. Why a single truck couldn't do it like a mail route is beyond me. Why they even bother kowtowing to amazon/UPS with sunday deliveries is beyond me.
already been explained post 15.....and the PO won a billion dollar contract to deliver Amazon even on Sunday....im sure Amazon will take over their own deliveries when the contract expires...

10% of the fleet EV.....

jersey-buffalo-ghee-779117_l.jpg

So here are a couple simple suggestions related to snail mail delivery. Stop daily delivery and go to every other day. Secondly, put mailboxes in pairs in between houses instead of at the head of the driveway of each house. In my neighborhood alone that would eliminate 100 stops. It would save a lot of fuel, speed delivery times and save wear and tear on the vehicles.
Hey Mike your lack of understanding in regards to the postal system is huge. First of all, we are more of a parcel service these days, which often requires getting out of the vehicle and going to the door. Each time that happens the carrier is required to shut the vehicle off and lock the LLV. You wouldn't want your package to get stolen from the truck right? No one wants to walk to their mailbox. Placing them further from the house is not a winning concept with customers.

Your idea of every other day delivery is laughable. Sunday is not a delivery day for our particular location. Although it is required from Thanksgiving to Christmas. Parcel volumes are tremendous. With just the Sunday nondelivery our staff is overwhelmed every week. It creates delays in getting carriers to the street. That in turn creates massive overtime and overworked staff. I doubt many people would work for the postal service that worked them that hard and cut their hours. It is very hard to find people now.

People's habits have changed, probably permanently, with ordering things online. They get irate quite easily with even a one or two day delay. Your every other day concept doesn't fit most people's needs.

Hey Mike your lack of understanding in regards to the postal system is huge. First of all, we are more of a parcel service these days, which often requires getting out of the vehicle and going to the door. Each time that happens the carrier is required to shut the vehicle off and lock the LLV. You wouldn't want your package to get stolen from the truck right? No one wants to walk to their mailbox. Placing them further from the house is not a winning concept with customers.

Your idea of every other day delivery is laughable. Sunday is not a delivery day for our particular location. Although it is required from Thanksgiving to Christmas. Parcel volumes are tremendous. With just the Sunday nondelivery our staff is overwhelmed every week. It creates delays in getting carriers to the street. That in turn creates massive overtime and overworked staff. I doubt many people would work for the postal service that worked them that hard and cut their hours. It is very hard to find people now.

People's habits have changed, probably permanently, with ordering things online. They get irate quite easily with even a one or two day delay. Your every other day concept doesn't fit most people's needs.
I was suggesting in terms of reduced fuel costs and reducing junk mail volume, but I acknowledge I do not know the mechanics of the post office. I still think that simple ideas like condensing the locations of mailboxes would make a big difference. I watch our mail deliverers racing to each mailbox, skidding to a stop, then drive100 feet and stopping again. Eliminating 150 of those stops would be significant and that's just my neighborhood.

i dont know how many new people would come in and think ...how hard can it be to deliver mail.....that attitude changed the first time they had to put a route up, pull it down,load up the truck and deliver it in supposedly in 8 hours on a route you have no idea what is like on the street....so many times the regulars are leaving at say 9 and these people are still getting the route ready.....then the panic starts.....a lot of people quit after the first week.....

i dont know how many new people would come in and think ...how hard can it be to deliver mail.....that attitude changed the first time they had to put a route up, pull it down,load up the truck and deliver it in supposedly in 8 hours on a route you have no idea what is like on the street....so many times the regulars are leaving at say 9 and these people are still getting the route ready.....then the panic starts.....a lot of people quit after the first week.....
They sure do. We have two distinct groups in the office. People with well over 15 years and those with less than 5. Few make it past 5.

And yet those Amazon and UPS trucks seem to do okay even though they are much larger and heavier than U.S. post office vehicles.
Which is why they stick to the roads and driveways. We don't have that luxury. By the way, we do a tremendous amount of business in delivery for both those companies. Basically they give us the hard stuff.

That won't work here! Our houses are on approximately 1 acre lots.

Also, every other day? Our newspaper did away with their delivery completely and now my paper comes in the mail. It's already a day late when we receive it. Stupid me, paid for a year's subscription right before they changed to mail delivery. Had I known, I could have saved myself some money by dropping it entirely.

Just a quick tidbit. Our carriers use lights worn on their heads to see in the trucks after dark. Inside the trucks. Do we need a new fleet? You decide.

The current mail delivery vehicle in my area is a Mercedes Sprinter van with right-hand drive.. They just removed the Mercedes badge and replaced it with a USPS logo. That kept the drivers from using their own cars. Our carrier drove a Chevy S-10 pickup by sitting on the right side and driving with her left foot and hand.

The current mail delivery vehicle in my area is a Mercedes Sprinter van with right-hand drive.. They just removed the Mercedes badge and replaced it with a USPS logo.
Most likely we will get the best of the old ones. It will be years before the new style shows up here.

And yet those Amazon and UPS trucks seem to do okay even though they are much larger and heavier than U.S. post office vehicles.
in the Anaheim hills many of the streets are to narrow for those guys to be on it...so the PO delivers their stuff for them or they have to go pick it up themselves...

Amazon to bolster delivery fleet with all-electric Ram ProMaster vans

Amazon will add Stellantis’ all-electric Ram ProMaster van to its fleet when the vehicle launches in 2023 as the e-commerce giant pushes to meet its pledge to be carbon neutral by 2040 . . . Amazon pledged in 2019 that it would become carbon-neutral by 2040 — 10 years earlier than is outlined by the United Nations Paris Agreement. To help hit that target, Amazon ordered 100,000 electric delivery trucks from electric startup-turned publicly traded company Rivian.

Amazon to bolster delivery fleet with all-electric Ram ProMaster vans | TechCrunch

Oil-industry apologists keep running out of excuses.

Forum List

Back