Pot Farming Endangers A Species

That area has already been heavily logged- so pot farming is not exactly the first disruption. there.

But legalizing pot should help drive out all of the illegal farms up there as legal farmers with better land and lower costs drive them out of business.
It should, but it hasn't. The black market is thriving. They can get their medical cards and buy from a high school kid for half the price of the dispensaries.
To bad it's a couple of thousand miles away.
I lived there for 25 years. It was OK back then.
I was there in 1978 the last time and it was smoggy and full of people..
Pot was still illegal back then.
Didn't stop us..

It should, but it hasn't. The black market is thriving. They can get their medical cards and buy from a high school kid for half the price of the dispensaries.
Pot was still illegal back then.
Didn't stop us..
Before the invasion, too.

Different world.

Just a note! I don’t see anything that suggest this articles focus is on illegal pot farms. Sounds to me as if this is an unanticipated consequence of legalizing the farm and it’s product.

Well.....pot farms have been thriving in Humboldt for over 20 years- and were just California legalized. And the article doesn't quite make that clear- it does note that logging was the first culprit- and illegal pot farming somewhat replaced legal logging jobs as logging became less common.

But as redwood forests have shrunk in northern California, so has the marten population. There are two populations, with 100 in Oregon and an estimated 200 in three northern California counties – which, unfortunately for them, overlap with California’s Emerald Triangle, an epicenter of cannabis cultivation.

In one county alone, Humboldt, there are thought to be 4,000 to 15,000 cannabis cultivation sites on private property, in addition to illegal or “trespass grows” on public or tribal lands. Not only is forest habitat lost to cannabis crops, but many growers in Humboldt use anticoagulant rodenticides to keep rodents from chewing through irrigation lines or eating their food supplies.

Cute animal- and no reason for legal farmers to be using that poison. A reasonably easy fix for the legal farms would be for Humbold County to restrict the use of rodenticides on farms.

Marijuana farms are driving this adorable forest creature to extinction

A furry, cat-size carnivore called the Humboldt marten is struggling to survive in an area sprouted with marijuana farms, and now California wants to protect the adorable creature by declaring it an endangered species.

The state's declaration would apply only within state lines and wouldn't offer federal protections.

A member of the weasel family, the Humboldt marten (Martes caurina humboldtensis) lives deep inside the redwood forests of the Pacific Northwest, according to the Center for Biological Diversity. The elusive animal was once thought to be extinct, but it was rediscovered in 1996. The Center for Biological Diversity estimates that 95 percent of the marten's habitat has disap

This would be a shameful incident for humanity.

That area has already been heavily logged- so pot farming is not exactly the first disruption. there.

But legalizing pot should help drive out all of the illegal farms up there as legal farmers with better land and lower costs drive them out of business.
its got even more people now....

Just a note! I don’t see anything that suggest this articles focus is on illegal pot farms. Sounds to me as if this is an unanticipated consequence of legalizing the farm and it’s product.

Well.....pot farms have been thriving in Humboldt for over 20 years- and were just California legalized. And the article doesn't quite make that clear- it does note that logging was the first culprit- and illegal pot farming somewhat replaced legal logging jobs as logging became less common.

But as redwood forests have shrunk in northern California, so has the marten population. There are two populations, with 100 in Oregon and an estimated 200 in three northern California counties – which, unfortunately for them, overlap with California’s Emerald Triangle, an epicenter of cannabis cultivation.

In one county alone, Humboldt, there are thought to be 4,000 to 15,000 cannabis cultivation sites on private property, in addition to illegal or “trespass grows” on public or tribal lands. Not only is forest habitat lost to cannabis crops, but many growers in Humboldt use anticoagulant rodenticides to keep rodents from chewing through irrigation lines or eating their food supplies.

Cute animal- and no reason for legal farmers to be using that poison. A reasonably easy fix for the legal farms would be for Humbold County to restrict the use of rodenticides on farms.
Telling illegal weed farmers not to use rodenticides is like telling MS13 that guns are illegal.

Forum List

Back