Potheads beware...

It's an idiotic ruling. Can I fire someone if they had a few beers in their off time? Can I fire someone if they're on medication for depression?

What people do in their time off is none of the concern of they're employer. If they're performance slips then fire them for that. But it's idiotic to fire someone just for having residue of a legal substance in their body.

Your want for that buzz, even if your state says it is 'ok', can still get you fired...

Colorado Court: Pot smokers can be fired - UPI.com

IMHO, this is a good ruling... As an employer, you don't want people who engage in illegal activity or who are potheads... as an employer, if you don't want employees who choose to engage in detrimental activities, that is a right you should have

Illegal activity understood. Potheads tho? How is weed detrimental? I'm guessing this "detrimental activity" outrage only extends to weed and not scripts and alcohol, correct?

Your want for that buzz, even if your state says it is 'ok', can still get you fired...

IMHO, this is a good ruling... As an employer, you don't want people who engage in illegal activity or who are potheads... as an employer, if you don't want employees who choose to engage in detrimental activities, that is a right you should have

Illegal activity understood. Potheads tho? How is weed detrimental? I'm guessing this "detrimental activity" outrage only extends to weed and not scripts and alcohol, correct?

I remember auto workers being fired for drinking on THEIR lunch hour. Then the libs sued and forced them to get their jobs back.

It's an idiotic ruling. Can I fire someone if they had a few beers in their off time? Can I fire someone if they're on medication for depression?

What people do in their time off is none of the concern of they're employer. If they're performance slips then fire them for that. But it's idiotic to fire someone just for having residue of a legal substance in their body.

Beer is not federally illegal.. but that is just one part of the issue

But if you have beer in your off time and you test for it during employment, you are getting minimum counseling and probably fired

Great story, I assume by libs you mean lawyers. Moving on, Dave would you fire someone who drank, fought MMA etc

We have the right to discriminate against choices...

Does a church want to hire someone that actively protests against the church on their off time?? Do you want someone with a huge gambling problem handling your cash or accounts??

IMHO, this is no different if you don't want a pothead working for you

Great story, I assume by libs you mean lawyers. Moving on, Dave would you fire someone who drank, fought MMA etc

Someone who tested positive for alcohol during work hours?? Yes
Fighting MMA and coming in hurt when they are supposed to be doing physical labor for me? Yes
Someone who's recreation activity is against what my business does or against my personal beliefs n activity against our mission statement? Yes

So whats the point of legalizing the Ganja if it gets you fired? :dunno:

That is why I said this who state legalization thing was nothing more than 'blowing smoke' (pun intended).. it is still illegal under federal law

If they fail a drug test, I don't have an issue with an employer having the right to fire them, as long as its not prescribed for a specific medical condition.

Ok I am baffled now, weed is supposedly legal in Colorado but I can still get fired for smoking it in my off time? Sweet Jesus, if I lived in Colorado I would definently refrain from smoking until all this red tape gets sorted out.

That is why I said this who state legalization thing was nothing more than 'blowing smoke' (pun intended).. it is still illegal under federal law

It does seem like theres too much red tape, the only people who can enjoy smoking are people who don't have jobs apparently.

Not at all an idiotic ruling. What people do in their time is none of my concern. If that employee is driving a company truck, has THC or alcohol in their system and causes a wreck, my company becomes liable. The company has a no tolerance policy.

See why states having separate laws is a bad idea?

No... separate laws is not a 'bad idea'.. it is fine when the law in state A makes it illegal to pick or harvest this plant and the law in state B has no such illegality.. it is fine when state C makes hippo riding illegal and state D does not...

But it is not ok when federal law says one thing and state law says another... and it is why federal law has a problem... over-reaching in many areas where it has no power to do so...

Forum List

Back