Potheads beware...

No, you're not. THC stays in your system for about a week. If you test positive for THC when you go to work, you can be fired. If you smoke a joint tonight, you won't test clean until Thursday or Friday of next week.

I know before you said that you could fire someone if they do something against your company or your personal beliefs (I just jumped to the end so sorry if you changed that and I don't know) but I feel like that should only be to the company. Getting your personal feelings is almost never a good thing to do when you're running a company. So long as the company has no contradictions with itself it should be fine.

As for the stuff being in your system; even though you can still trace it it isn't making an effect anymore. I don't think people should drink or smoke pot or do anything that has a lasting effect during break time or right before going to work. I'm just saying that if whatever they did on their free time is no longer effecting them (basically they are sober when they are at work) then it should be ok. If it's legal where you are.

I don't know why it can't be as simple as performance; on-the-job.

If someone's getting their job done, who's business is it, what(ever) their vice might be. I've known plenty of engineers who were functioning-alcoholics.

lol. Yeah I'm surrounded by them and I know what you mean. I just go by proper company etiquette though. It looks bad for the company if someone is at work and visibly drunk/high/etc. Even if the person can handle themselves 100% fine it still gives a risk for the owner and they shouldn't have to face that while working. Small businesses that people don't want to expand is a different story I'd figure (since you wouldn't care about what other companies care) but the ones that want to make deals with the other companies to expand and whatnot is probably a whole different ballgame. That's when you gotta play it classy and win them over with soberness first and then the booze after-hours.

No, you're not. THC stays in your system for about a week. If you test positive for THC when you go to work, you can be fired. If you smoke a joint tonight, you won't test clean until Thursday or Friday of next week.

I know before you said that you could fire someone if they do something against your company or your personal beliefs (I just jumped to the end so sorry if you changed that and I don't know) but I feel like that should only be to the company. Getting your personal feelings is almost never a good thing to do when you're running a company. So long as the company has no contradictions with itself it should be fine.

As for the stuff being in your system; even though you can still trace it it isn't making an effect anymore. I don't think people should drink or smoke pot or do anything that has a lasting effect during break time or right before going to work. I'm just saying that if whatever they did on their free time is no longer effecting them (basically they are sober when they are at work) then it should be ok. If it's legal where you are.

I don't know why it can't be as simple as performance; on-the-job.

If someone's getting their job done, who's business is it, what(ever) their vice might be. I've known plenty of engineers who were functioning-alcoholics.

Sure, as long as they're not under the influence or high on the job and placing the company or other employees jobs in a liability situation.

Your want for that buzz, even if your state says it is 'ok', can still get you fired...

Colorado Court: Pot smokers can be fired - UPI.com

IMHO, this is a good ruling... As an employer, you don't want people who engage in illegal activity or who are potheads... as an employer, if you don't want employees who choose to engage in detrimental activities, that is a right you should have

Thanks for the lecture.

Forum List

Back