Power Plant Closures

bripat9643

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2011
When the price of electric power triples just wait for the environmental wackos to blame it on "corporate greed."

Power Plant Closures

Impact of EPA’s Regulatory Assault on Power Plants: New Regulations to Take More than 72 GW of Electricity Generation Offline and the Plant Closing Announcements Keep Coming…

Our utility has jacked up our residential rates by 40% in the six years Obama has been in power and they're talking another 17% increase next year. I'm gradually going solar. I have no choice. Of course the 1200 watt power supply here in my gamer, and all the 200 watt bulbs I use everywhere, probably won't get me many alligator tears from the eco crowd. ; - )

Obama said energy costs would necessarily sky rocket. The EPA is carrying out the cap and trade bullshit that couldn't get through congress.

As I think most people are aware, the cost of renewables are now dropping quite significantly as the initial investment costs are being repaid.

Any industry in transition requires investment, be it opening a new airport, building a new shipping port or a new football stadium. Ideally, those costs repay themselves over time, and the cost to taxpayers and users balances out over time.

The alternative is simply to continue to use laughably outdated methods and technologies, and in doing so lose thousands of jobs to countries more adept at innovation and design.

Prices for energy in the US will rise in the middle term, particularly as fracking becomes unsustainable. Prices will then drop again in the longer term.

When the price of electric power triples just wait for the environmental wackos to blame it on "corporate greed."

Power Plant Closures

Impact of EPA’s Regulatory Assault on Power Plants: New Regulations to Take More than 72 GW of Electricity Generation Offline and the Plant Closing Announcements Keep Coming…

''Over 94 percent these retirements will come from generating units at coal-fired power plants, shuttering over one-fifth of the U.S.’s coal-fired generating capacity''

Horrible? lol

WHEN have conservatives EVER been on the correct side pf history on ANY POLICY?

It must be miserable to be a conservative and time after time find your policies and ideals are wrong..

Conservatives, fought clean air, clean water and workplace rules.

Conservatives fought banking regulations and caused the great depression, the great recession and every single banking crises we've ever had. Every-time the conservatives talk about smaller government they've come into power and increased the size and cost of government..

Conservatives simply cannot learn from history.

Day in the Life of a Joe Six-Pack Republican

Joe gets up at 6:00 AM to prepare his morning coffee. He fills his pot full of good clean drinking water because some liberal fought for minimum water quality standards. He takes his daily medication with his first swallow of coffee. His medications are safe to take because some liberal fought to insure their safety and work as advertised.

All but $10.00 of his medications are paid for by his employers medical plan because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical insurance, now Joe gets it too. He prepares his morning breakfast, bacon and eggs this day. Joe’s bacon is safe to eat because some liberal fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry.

Joe takes his morning shower reaching for his shampoo; His bottle is properly labeled with every ingredient and the amount of its contents because some liberal fought for his right to know what he was putting on his body and how much it contained. Joe dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air he breathes is clean because some tree hugging liberal fought for laws to stop industries from polluting our air. He walks to the subway station for his government subsidized ride to work; it saves him considerable money in parking and transportation fees. You see, some liberal fought for affordable public transportation, which gives everyone the opportunity to be a contributor.

Joe begins his work day; he has a good job with excellent pay, medicals benefits, retirement, paid holidays and vacation because some liberal union members fought and died for these working standards. Joe's employer pays these standards because Joe's employer doesn't want his employees to call the union. If Joe is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed he'll get a worker compensation or unemployment check because some liberal didn't think he should lose his home because of his temporary misfortune.

It's noon time, Joe needs to make a Bank Deposit so he can pay some bills. Joe’s deposit is federally insured by the FSLIC because some liberal wanted to protect Joe’s money from unscrupulous bankers who ruined the banking system before the depression.

Joe has to pay his Fannie Mae underwritten Mortgage and his below market federal student loan because some stupid liberal decided that Joe and the government would be better off if he was educated and earned more money over his life-time.

Joe is home from work, he plans to visit his father this evening at his farm home in the country. He gets in his car for the drive to dad's; his car is among the safest in the world because some liberal fought for car safety standards. He arrives at his boyhood home. He was the third generation to live in the house financed by Farmers Home Administration because bankers didn't want to make rural loans. The house didn't have electric until some big government liberal stuck his nose where it didn't belong and demanded rural electrification. (Those rural Republicans would still be sitting in the dark.)
He is happy to see his dad who is now retired. His dad lives on Social Security and his union pension because some liberal made sure he could take care of himself so Joe wouldn't have to.

After his visit with dad he gets back in his car for the ride home.

He turns on a radio talk show. The host keeps saying that liberals are bad and conservatives are good. (He doesn't tell Joe that his beloved Republicans have fought against every protection and benefit Joe enjoys throughout his day)

Joe agrees. "We don't need those big government liberals ruining our lives; after all, I'm a self made man who believes everyone should take care of themselves, just like I have."

Day of a Republican

Our utility has jacked up our residential rates by 40% in the six years Obama has been in power and they're talking another 17% increase next year. I'm gradually going solar. I have no choice. Of course the 1200 watt power supply here in my gamer, and all the 200 watt bulbs I use everywhere, probably won't get me many alligator tears from the eco crowd. ; - )

Your rates never increased before Obama right? *shaking head*

Uhhh...no. Not by 40% in six years, or perhaps 57% in seven years. You should really try and do something about that head shaking thingie. Alzheimer’s? Do you drool a lot? Poor sap.

Power Plant Closures

''Over 94 percent these retirements will come from generating units at coal-fired power plants, shuttering over one-fifth of the U.S.’s coal-fired generating capacity''

Horrible? lol

WHEN have conservatives EVER been on the correct side pf history on ANY POLICY?

It must be miserable to be a conservative and time after time find your policies and ideals are wrong..

Conservatives, fought clean air, clean water and workplace rules.

Conservatives fought banking regulations and caused the great depression, the great recession and every single banking crises we've ever had. Every-time the conservatives talk about smaller government they've come into power and increased the size and cost of government..

Conservatives simply cannot learn from history.

Day in the Life of a Joe Six-Pack Republican

Joe gets up at 6:00 AM to prepare his morning coffee. He fills his pot full of good clean drinking water because some liberal fought for minimum water quality standards. He takes his daily medication with his first swallow of coffee. His medications are safe to take because some liberal fought to insure their safety and work as advertised.

All but $10.00 of his medications are paid for by his employers medical plan because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical insurance, now Joe gets it too. He prepares his morning breakfast, bacon and eggs this day. Joe’s bacon is safe to eat because some liberal fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry.

Joe takes his morning shower reaching for his shampoo; His bottle is properly labeled with every ingredient and the amount of its contents because some liberal fought for his right to know what he was putting on his body and how much it contained. Joe dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air he breathes is clean because some tree hugging liberal fought for laws to stop industries from polluting our air. He walks to the subway station for his government subsidized ride to work; it saves him considerable money in parking and transportation fees. You see, some liberal fought for affordable public transportation, which gives everyone the opportunity to be a contributor.

Joe begins his work day; he has a good job with excellent pay, medicals benefits, retirement, paid holidays and vacation because some liberal union members fought and died for these working standards. Joe's employer pays these standards because Joe's employer doesn't want his employees to call the union. If Joe is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed he'll get a worker compensation or unemployment check because some liberal didn't think he should lose his home because of his temporary misfortune.

It's noon time, Joe needs to make a Bank Deposit so he can pay some bills. Joe’s deposit is federally insured by the FSLIC because some liberal wanted to protect Joe’s money from unscrupulous bankers who ruined the banking system before the depression.

Joe has to pay his Fannie Mae underwritten Mortgage and his below market federal student loan because some stupid liberal decided that Joe and the government would be better off if he was educated and earned more money over his life-time.

Joe is home from work, he plans to visit his father this evening at his farm home in the country. He gets in his car for the drive to dad's; his car is among the safest in the world because some liberal fought for car safety standards. He arrives at his boyhood home. He was the third generation to live in the house financed by Farmers Home Administration because bankers didn't want to make rural loans. The house didn't have electric until some big government liberal stuck his nose where it didn't belong and demanded rural electrification. (Those rural Republicans would still be sitting in the dark.)
He is happy to see his dad who is now retired. His dad lives on Social Security and his union pension because some liberal made sure he could take care of himself so Joe wouldn't have to.

After his visit with dad he gets back in his car for the ride home.

He turns on a radio talk show. The host keeps saying that liberals are bad and conservatives are good. (He doesn't tell Joe that his beloved Republicans have fought against every protection and benefit Joe enjoys throughout his day)

Joe agrees. "We don't need those big government liberals ruining our lives; after all, I'm a self made man who believes everyone should take care of themselves, just like I have."

Day of a Republican

I'm still looking for the part where you explained why shutting down perfectly good power plants is a good thing.

BriPat -

Because they are not 'perfectly good'.

They are like any out-dated infrastructure that needs to be replaced by more effective, more cutting edge and more sustainable technologies.

Really - do you argue this bitterly everytime a bridge, an airport or hospital equipment is upgraded?

Too funny. We need more nuclear power plants. The improvements in nuclear plant design are nothing short of amazing. Nuclear is 24/7 production and carbon-free. Take a look at molten salt reactors:

Molten Salt Reactors

Technology revolution in nuclear power could slash costs below coal - Telegraph

THORIUM MOLTEN-SALT The Best Reactor You 8217 ve Never Heard Of Raw Science

Sadly many people will refuse to discuss clean coal burning options that presently exist simply because the fuel is coal. The same is true of nuclear. If it's not solar, wind or wave it can't be considered. Tragic that the well-meaning are so close-minded.

Decus -

Who do you mean?

A lot of Greens I know back nuclear energy all the way. Not all due, but then that is their choice. Personally I think nuclear is a big part of the solution, supported by tidal, solar thermal and wind where appropriate.

Decus -

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make - do you?

True, the Greens refused to back a nuclear project that was being funded by the Russian government. So what?

Too funny. We need more nuclear power plants. The improvements in nuclear plant design are nothing short of amazing. Nuclear is 24/7 production and carbon-free. Take a look at molten salt reactors:

Molten Salt Reactors

Sadly many people will refuse to discuss clean coal burning options that presently exist simply because the fuel is coal. The same is true of nuclear. If it's not solar, wind or wave it can't be considered. Tragic that the well-meaning are so close-minded.

The so called 'clean coal' options are far more expensive than the alternative energies. As is nuclear. Nuclear has the advantage of being clean in the short run, however, there are some rather toxic waste products created. And a Thorium reactor has yet to be built.

Decus -

Who do you mean?

A lot of Greens I know back nuclear energy all the way. Not all due, but then that is their choice. Personally I think nuclear is a big part of the solution, supported by tidal, solar thermal and wind where appropriate.

But most do not. The contrary: many hear the word "nuclear" and immediately shriek, "THE SKY IS FALLING!"

Molten Salt Reactors

Got some beach front property in Japan for sell , cheap?

Weird how the 'free market' can't provide for nuclear without the Gov't backing it up?

Uhhh...no. Not by 40% in six years, or perhaps 57% in seven years. You should really try and do something about that head shaking thingie. Alzheimer’s? Do you drool a lot? Poor sap.

Poor low info conservative

"commercial rates have increased 6-8% annually since 2000"

http://californiasolarelectric.com/...wnloads_pdf_White_Paper_Calif_Elec_Prices.pdf

October 7, 2014
Businesses rates will more than double and homeowners nearly that as temperatures drop, several state agencies say.

The cause of the increase is the high cost of natural gas delivered to New England in the winter. Half the electricity in the region is generated by natural gas-fired power plants. A lack of capacity in the pipeline system squeezes supply and sends prices skyward during the coldest days.

The coming rate shock will be felt throughout New England. In Massachusetts, rates for many household customers will climb 37 percent.

The market response to this bottleneck can be seen in average wholesale natural gas prices in New England. Those prices averaged $6.55 per million BTU during the winter of 2010-11. This winter, they will be $15.76 per million BTU, according to data tracked by Competitive Energy Services in Portland, which negotiates power contracts. That’s a 140 percent increase – and it doesn’t include sudden spikes on the so-called spot market, on the coldest days.

Maine electric rates to skyrocket - Central Maine

February 18, 2014
The Citizens Utility Board (CUB) joined with consumer advocates from 10 states and the District of Columbia to ask the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) to probe the root causes of historic wholesale energy price spikes in January that helped triple and quadruple energy bills.

Citizens Utility Board Press Room As Electric Gas Bills Skyrocket CUB and Consumer Advocates In 10 States Request FERC Review Of January Price Spikes

12/13/2011

Electric bills have skyrocketed in the last five years

Households paid a record $1,419 on average for electricity in 2010, the fifth consecutive yearly increase above the inflation rate, a USA TODAY analysis of government data found. The jump has added about $300 a year to what households pay for electricity. That's the largest sustained increase since a run-up in electricity prices during the 1970s.

"The industry as a whole is facing higher costs because we're retiring our aging fleet" of power plants

Household electricity bills skyrocket USATODAY.com

September 26, 2006

NYISO Costs Skyrocket, Benefits Questioned
'when electricity prices in New York City soared 43% despite it being a cool summer.'

NYISO Costs Skyrocket Benefits Questioned New York s Utility Project To help educate the public about its legal rights as utility consumers

Molten Salt Reactors

Weird how the 'free market' can't provide for nuclear without the Gov't backing it up?

Funny but I have to ask how much government backing goes into wind and solar? Grants, tax rebates, price subsidies, etc.? You gave to admit that solar and wind only exist because of government support in one form or another.

Molten Salt Reactors

It can, but government also obstructs nuclear power. Eco-Nazis like you are constantly suing to prevent the construction of nuclear power plants, thereby driving the price up to the point where it's not economical.

Forum List

Back