President Obama Overrules War Machine on Arming Syrian Rebels

Procrustes Stretched

This place is nothing without the membership.
Dec 1, 2008

He overruled his whole national security team over concerns weapons would fall into the wrong hands.

This is leadership. He has learned on the job. :clap2: JFK had tyo learn this the hard way after the Bay of Pigs fiasco. It also saved the world...JFK overruled everyone on bombing Cuba and starting a 3rd World War

This is leadership.
I am so proud to have supported Obama in 2012.

The Obama administration’s two top defense officials publicly acknowledged a policy disagreement with the White House over whether to send U.S. arms to the rebels in Syria.

In congressional testimony today, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, who is retiring, and General Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, both said they supported a plan last year by then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and then-CIA Director David Petraeus to provide weapons to the rebels fighting to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...ift-with-obama-over-arming-syrian-rebels.html

Their comments before the Senate Armed Services Committee came in response to questions from Republican Senators John McCain of Arizona and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, who have been a leading critic of the Obama administration for failing to do more to help the Syrian rebels who are heavily outgunned by Assad’s forces.

“We did,” said Dempsey, responding to McCain.

“That was our position,” Panetta said to Graham. “I do want to say, senator, that obviously there were a number of factors that were involved here that ultimately led to the president’s decision to make it non-lethal.”

This means the president “overruled the senior leaders of his own national security team, who were in unanimous agreement that America needs to take greater action to change the military balance of power in Syria,” McCain said in a statement after the session.

Last edited:
Um he's been arming them for months. Just like he armed the Libyan rebels. Which is conveniently being ignored since they likely murdered our ambassador with our own weapons.

Um he's been arming them for months. Just like he armed the Libyan rebels. Which is conveniently being ignored since they likely murdered our ambassador with our own weapons.

This is what leadership looks like. I wasn't sure President Obama had it in him.

President Barack Obama has expressed concern that arms sent to the rebels might fall into the hands of Islamic radicals.

“We have seen extremist elements insinuate themselves into the opposition, and you know, one of the things that we have to be on guard about -- particularly when we start talking about arming opposition figures -- is that we are not indirectly putting arms in the hands of folks that would do Americans harm, or do Israelis harm or otherwise engage in, in actions that are detrimental to our national security,” Obama said in a November news conference.
Panetta Exposes Rift With Obama Over Arming Syrian Rebels - Bloomberg

you do realize dante that what hes done is kind of dumb. he armed them way late, then thinks hes going to have some kind of seat at the table when Assad goes down, wrong. we waited to long, so he screwed that up.

Even if he were to come down full bore now, theres to many other factions that are beholden to AQ et al....you cannot buy people in bite size pieces. his chance ot gain influence so as to try and keep the next gov. friendly, has been lost. You gain influence by leading people to depend on you, not by playing a waiting game and then going in half hearted. The time to amr them was at the beginning. But he hesitated....*shrugs*

He overruled his whole national security team over concerns weapons would fall into the wrong hands.

This is leadership. He has learned on the job. :clap2: JFK had tyo learn this the hard way after the Bay of Pigs fiasco. It also saved the world...JFK overruled everyone on bombing Cuba and starting a 3rd World War

This is leadership.

The Obama administration’s two top defense officials publicly acknowledged a policy disagreement with the White House over whether to send U.S. arms to the rebels in Syria.

In congressional testimony today, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, who is retiring, and General Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, both said they supported a plan last year by then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and then-CIA Director David Petraeus to provide weapons to the rebels fighting to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad. Panetta Exposes Rift With Obama Over Arming Syrian Rebels - Bloomberg

Their comments before the Senate Armed Services Committee came in response to questions from Republican Senators John McCain of Arizona and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, who have been a leading critic of the Obama administration for failing to do more to help the Syrian rebels who are heavily outgunned by Assad’s forces.

“That was our position,” Panetta said to Graham. “I do want to say, senator, that obviously there were a number of factors that were involved here that ultimately led to the president’s decision to make it non-lethal.”

This means the president “overruled the senior leaders of his own national security team, who were in unanimous agreement that America needs to take greater action to change the military balance of power in Syria,” McCain said in a statement after the session.
Wha.....!?!?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

You mean Obama is NOT War Machine?!?!?

iron-man-war-machine.jpg

I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell you!

This is leadership.

In congressional testimony today, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, who is retiring, and General Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, both said they supported a plan last year by then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and then-CIA Director David Petraeus to provide weapons to the rebels fighting to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad. Panetta Exposes Rift With Obama Over Arming Syrian Rebels - Bloomberg

Wha.....!?!?!

You mean Obama is NOT War Machine?!?!?

iron-man-war-machine.jpg

I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell you!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

oh he is, from 10,000 feet.....:rolleyes: hes dancing around the shitpile and Syria will be just another Egypt when its over and done....then Jordan will go down etc etc etc ...

Modern democrat administrations seem support the muslem brotherhood and what do we get for it?

you do realize dante that what hes done is kind of dumb. he armed them way late, then thinks hes going to have some kind of seat at the table when Assad goes down, wrong. we waited to long, so he screwed that up.

Even if he were to come down full bore now, theres to many other factions that are beholden to AQ et al....you cannot buy people in bite size pieces. his chance ot gain influence so as to try and keep the next gov. friendly, has been lost. You gain influence by leading people to depend on you, not by playing a waiting game and then going in half hearted. The time to amr them was at the beginning. But he hesitated....*shrugs*

Arming anyone in that region is a deal with the devil. Only time will tell...and then again maybe not.

I support what Obama has done and I didn't think he had it in him to be a JFK type who would learn not to knee jerk go along. That is real leadership:clap2:

I am not a huge fan of how Obama worked domestically on policy questions...but he has displayed leadership on defense

Last edited:
oh he is, from 10,000 feet.....:rolleyes: hes dancing around the shitpile and Syria will be just another Egypt when its over and done....then Jordan will go down etc etc etc ...

We are not responsible for what happened in the Arab and Muslim countries in that region. How we react can be debated, but there is NO way of knowing what would have worked out that we didn't do.

Arming anyone in that region is a deal with the devil. Only time will tell...and then again maybe not.

I support what Obama has done and I didn't think he had it in him to be a JFK type who would learn not to knee jerk go along. That is real leadership:clap2:

I am not a huge fan of how Obama worked domestically on policy questions...but he has displayed leadership on defense

You and I clearly have different definitions of leadership

uh huh. ever hear the saying;" if you're not at the table you're on the menu?"

jfk didn't knees jerk? dude please.....theres a wall with a shitload of names on it that says different, and he screwed it up too, but I digress...

You and I clearly have different definitions of leadership

Decision to take out bin Laden? Leadership

This is leadership.

How quickly you forget Fast & Furious in regards to weapons falling into the wrong hands. And your mentioning Obama and JFK in the same sentence just goes to prove what an ingnorant anus you truly are.

uh huh. ever hear the saying;" if you're not at the table you're on the menu?"

jfk didn't knees jerk? dude please.....theres a wall with a shitload of names on it that says different, and he screwed it up too, but I digress...

JFK didn't escalate the war...LBJ did. And half of all those names on the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Wall came from Henry Kissinger and Richard Nixon's peace plan. Look it up. About half. frigging criminals

Forum List

Back