President Trump announces new tariffs: 25% for steel, 10% for aluminum

So, the stock market is tanking, which is going to hurt his buddies at the country club, and the millionaire c congressman and senators, as well as retirees living on their investments. Meantime, the price of everything goes up, which, again, hurts American consumers, but help steel manufacturers. The price of new cars goes up, which hurts auto manufacturers, and dealers. China decides to start a trade war, which hurts everybody.

This is the beginning of what I predicted when he was elected. The trashing of our economy.

If China starts a trade war, the main people they will be screwing are the Chinese. The stock market isn't tanking. Even if it was, what does that have to do with tariffs? T

LOL tell me you're really not that dumb.
You're making it apparent that you're the one who is stupid. China is totally dependent on exports to the USA. A trade war is that last thing they want.

In greater detail, let’s summarize the outcomes from protectionist trade policy in the form of steel tariffs: 1) Domestic steelmakers will win with higher steel prices, higher profits and share prices (U.S. Steel’s stock has nearly doubled since January 1), and greater market share, but 2) Domestic steel-using manufacturers will lose because of higher input prices, lower profits, and possibly reduced sales and market share) and 3) Millions of American consumers and businesses will lose when they now pay higher prices for everything that contains steel, including cars, appliances, tractors, tools, construction materials, wind turbines, forklifts, pipelines, and airplanes.

US steel tariffs: A case study in protectionism, economic losses on net, and 'legal plunder' - AEI

Say goodbye to the gains from that swell $1200 tax cut. :laugh:
I hardly think anyone is going to cry over $35.

So you think it's that simple? $35? Man, you must have bathed in that koolade.
It turns out that the price of steel is actually around $500/ton, so the cost increase would be 25% of $500, or about $125.

Yeah, all we have to do is look around our homes to see how many things we count on to live are made with steel or aluminum and their bi-products. The list is never ending. Not to mention the things we buy that come packaged in those materials and we just dispose of like cans etc. The idea that trump sees this as a way to leverage China is ludicrous.

Especially since we get next to none of our steel from China. Trump just declared a trade war with Canada and Brazil and is too stupid to know it.

Yeah, but is this just another bad idea from him ad hoc or is there something of personal value for him in this move? With Trump, it's always a factor. I'm sure the press will weed it out. Thank goodness for the fourth estate. He tries every day to disgrace them and to erode people's confidence in them but they keep pluggin' along. In the end they will play a pivotal role in his downfall. He can hate on them all he wants and it only serves to strengthen their resolve. Same is true of Mueller and his team. I just hope moves like this latest blunder won't take us all down first. Stupid ass. "Let's alienate all of our allies!"

In greater detail, let’s summarize the outcomes from protectionist trade policy in the form of steel tariffs: 1) Domestic steelmakers will win with higher steel prices, higher profits and share prices (U.S. Steel’s stock has nearly doubled since January 1), and greater market share, but 2) Domestic steel-using manufacturers will lose because of higher input prices, lower profits, and possibly reduced sales and market share) and 3) Millions of American consumers and businesses will lose when they now pay higher prices for everything that contains steel, including cars, appliances, tractors, tools, construction materials, wind turbines, forklifts, pipelines, and airplanes.

US steel tariffs: A case study in protectionism, economic losses on net, and 'legal plunder' - AEI

It turns out that the price of steel is actually around $500/ton, so the cost increase would be 25% of $500, or about $125.

This isn't just about one item, it's an accumulative effect of this terrible idea. You don't understand that?

Sure,dope. That is the only thing made from steel and aluminum. :laugh2:
That is the thing with the largest amount of steel in it. Appliances are made of steel, but they don't weigh anything near a ton. Let's say 100 lbs of steel were used to make your washing machine. How much would the tariff add to the cost? $500 x 25% / 20 = $5.00.

These tariffs just aren't going to have that big of an impact on the economy.

This isn't just about one item, it's an accumulative effect of this terrible idea. You don't understand that?
How does this "accumultive effect" work? Please explain.

That is the thing with the largest amount of steel in it. Appliances are made of steel, but they don't weigh anything near a ton. Let's say 100 lbs of steel were used to make your washing machine. How much would the tariff add to the cost? $500 x 25% / 20 = $5.00.

I guess you simply don't have the mental capacity to see the big picture.

A car is not the biggest thing with steel, dope. How about bridges and skyscrapers. How much cost do you imagine is added for those?

Trump wants to do infrastructure but just upped the price tag considerably. Truly dumb.

Things we all count on that contain steel or aluminum. Look around you and notice all the things in your home made from those materials. Every one of those items will rise in price. Even beer cans. The effect on folks budget will be felt. And, for what? To punish our allies?

Things we all count on that contain steel or aluminum. Look around you and notice all the things in your home made from those materials. Every one of those items will rise in price. Even beer cans. The effect on folks budget will be felt. And, for what? To punish our allies?

One of our strongest allies to be specific.

A car is not the biggest thing with steel, dope. How about bridges and skyscrapers. How much cost do you imagine is added for those?

Trump wants to do infrastructure but just upped the price tag considerably. Truly dumb.

Yeah, it's not only ourselves and what we consume but everything the govt consumes. It will be passed on to all of us. But narrow thinkers are his base and narrow thinkers will support this debacle.

It's the biggest thing that most consumers buy. Steel makes up a significant percentage of the composition of some buildings, but concrete is the major material used in building, and labor is the biggest cost. Most bridges are built primarily with concrete these days. The industry has moved away from steel because it needs to be painted constantly and is therefor a maintenance headache.

It's the biggest thing that most consumers buy. Steel makes up a significant percentage of the composition of some buildings, but concrete is the major material used in building, and labor is the biggest cost. Most bridges are built primarily with concrete these days. The industry has moved away from steel because it needs to be painted constantly and is therefor a maintenance headache.

You do understand that there is steel in the concrete, right?

Yeah, it's not only ourselves and what we consume but everything the govt consumes. It will be passed on to all of us. But narrow thinkers are his base and narrow thinkers will support this debacle.
A $5.00 price increase on a $1000 dollar washing machine? I think we'll survive it.

You do understand that there is steel in the concrete, right?
ROFL. Yeah, it's about 10% steel by volume.

Our allies are upset with the US becoming more of a isolationist country and these tariffs are going to cost the consumer big time in the pocketbook.

Your measly tax cut was just voided, Trumpsters. Ha!

Tipsy: That’s why I voted for him.

5B6656C4-10A1-49FB-85D2-59E75E3EC951.jpeg
This is reminiscent of Herbert Hoover’s policies which led to the Great Depression and the rise of fascism around the world.

More importantly most steel and aluminum used in the US is recycled and the tariff affects Canada and Mexico the most so it is the best way to renegotiate NAFTA.

A $5.00 price increase on a $1000 dollar washing machine? I think we'll survive it.

20180302_140907.jpg

Forum List

Back