Press #1 For English?

Well, you see, that the U.S. has no official language is the major failing of any lines of complaint about extant bilingual/multilingual offerings and overtures organizations and individuals may make.

Huh?

Why the hell did we ever allow that? ... I say get rid of all the bilingual signs and phone messages....GONE. ...

"Allow"? Who the fuck is not going to "allow" private businesses to pander to whatever customer base they choose?

"customer base"? Who the fuck cares about people who are broke and don't belong here?
But didn't they take jobs away? There's got to be an income.

And you're attitudes are exactly like those of your American predecessors. Did they complain about Yiddish theater and newspapers? Did they say that the knife wielding Italian or the rowdy drunken Irishman or the swarthy Greek were ruining American culture?

You bet they complained! And they were as wrong as you are today. It's amazing how the behavior stays consistent given all the other changes.

C'est le guerre!

I never felt put out having to press "1" for English, but calling customer service and then having somebody in India answer is another story.

Why the hell did we ever allow that? ... I say get rid of all the bilingual signs and phone messages....GONE. ...

"Allow"? Who the fuck is not going to "allow" private businesses to pander to whatever customer base they choose?

"customer base"? Who the fuck cares about people who are broke and don't belong here?

And you're attitudes are exactly like those of your American predecessors. Did they complain about Yiddish theater and newspapers? Did they say that the knife wielding Italian or the rowdy drunken Irishman or the swarthy Greek were ruining American culture?

You bet they complained! And they were as wrong as you are today. It's amazing how the behavior stays consistent given all the other changes.

C'est le guerre!

Baloney....they learned to speak our language....the old world was left behind and the young ones knew they had to if they wanted to succeed. We should expect no less of these people.

C'est le guerre!

The Italians nor the Irish tried to turn our country into a bilingual nation. You didn't see signs written in Italian, you didn't have ballots printed in Italian or any other language. Today, thanks to these invaders, that has all changed.

From what I have seen, a lot of immigrants learn english language. Its key to their economic prosperity.

Why the hell did we ever allow that? Given that our new President and Homeland Security chief are tossing out the invaders in record numbers, how about we make it even more difficult for those still here to get by? I say get rid of all the bilingual signs and phone messages....GONE. Go to Mehico and see how many signs you see in English or Frog.....hint: outside the resorts, zero. Why? Because they don't want us there. Let border-jumpers Pedro and Rosita figure out what the hell is going on here in English.. or get out. Who's with me?
huh_zps297f809f.png

840b0f08ca4887c080f4f08f643a52c5_illegal-invaders-illegal-mexican-memes_554-488.jpeg
Why such anger? Did one of them take your job?

They have taken many jobs away from Americans. That's one of the many problems with these people.

C'est le guerre!

The Italians nor the Irish tried to turn our country into a bilingual nation. You didn't see signs written in Italian, you didn't have ballots printed in Italian or any other language. Today, thanks to these invaders, that has all changed.
Oh bullshit. There were Polish business signs in the Polish districts of most of our cities, same for German, Italian, Greek, and other languages. By the second generation the signs became mostly English. The same will happen with Spanish, Arabic, or whatever nationality becomes the next big group of immigrants.

The spanish speaking people are our next door neighbors to the south, so we will always have more of their language here than any other language. Remember, a very large chunk of Mexico was taken in 1848, and those people that came with the territory spoke Spanish. So you could say that Spanish already is an American language.

European and most Asian immigrants had a skill or trade...they were barbers, shoe makers, bartenders, etc. These waves of hispanics are mostly rural illiterates....little more than human livestock. They need to go back where they came from.

Maybe pressing 1 requires more strength than some of these whiners can muster.

Or maybe pressing 1 indicates a decay of our culture. How about 1 for Spanish, 2 for Arabic, 3 for Polish, 4 for Hungarian, 5 for Chinese, 6 for Japanese, 7for German, 8 for French...............

C'est le guerre!

Baloney....they learned to speak our language....the old world was left behind and the young ones knew they had to if they wanted to succeed. We should expect no less of these people.
And you're getting no less. As it turns out, English as a second language assimilation rates are remarkably similar between today's immigrant and their counterparts during the great immigration wave of 1870-1925.

By the time first born in America sons and daughters came around, they were fluently bi-lingual. My own Great Grandmother, born in Dundee, Scotland spoke with a thick brough to the last day of her life. My Mother-in-law's mother still speaks only rudimentary English, but fluent Italian.

It was harder for women then to learn English while living among their fellow ethnic immigrants. Men and children interacted among a wider circle of people making the transition to English, even with a little Pisan or Yiddish or German and today, Spanish, which serves to flavor American English.

C'est le guerre!

Oh bullshit. There were Polish business signs in the Polish districts of most of our cities, same for German, Italian, Greek, and other languages. By the second generation the signs became mostly English. The same will happen with Spanish, Arabic, or whatever nationality becomes the next big group of immigrants.

The spanish speaking people are our next door neighbors to the south, so we will always have more of their language here than any other language. Remember, a very large chunk of Mexico was taken in 1848, and those people that came with the territory spoke Spanish. So you could say that Spanish already is an American language.

Bullshit. in the 60's, there were more Europeans coming to this country.

I was born in a Polish neighborhood. Yes, our masses were in Polish. Our store signs were in Polish. Vendors spoke Polish with customers. But outside our little area, everybody spoke English and nobody in our Polish community expected the rest of the country to change for them. That's the difference

C'est le guerre!

Baloney....they learned to speak our language........

Just like immigrants today do.

Forum List

Back