Pro Union Conservatives sink Prop A in Missouri.

Fri, 11/18/2011 - 10:05am10 Comments
by Bill Fiala, Waller Lansden Dortch & Davis

fiala.jpg

Bill Fiala
The pro-job environment in right-to-work states is paying off with new automotive jobs. Tennessee is the home of Volkswagen’s new $1 billion auto assembly plant, as well as plants operated by Nissan and GM. Alabama boasts billion-dollar plants operated by Mercedes-Benz, Honda and Hyundai. Texas enjoys a large automotive manufacturing presence with Peterbilt, GM, International and Toyota. One reason for these states’ growing success in the automotive industry is their strong right-to-work laws embodying a commitment to a worker’s right to choose not to be part of a labor union. Right-to-work laws are an important factor to companies considering where to set up new operations.

In the twenty-two states with right-to-work laws, workers cannot be forced to join unions, or to pay union dues if they decide not to join. In non-right-to-work states, workers must join unions or pay union dues to keep their jobs. If an employee working in a non-right-to-work state fails to join the union or pay union dues then the union forces the company to terminate the employee.

What does the automotive industry’s decision to set up shop mean for these right-to-work states? It means jobs and increased tax revenues. An analysis by the University of Tennessee predicted that Volkswagen’s recent investment will raise incomes in the region by $511 million annually and will generate more than $55 million per year in new tax revenues. Other automotive manufacturers and component suppliers are spending billions in upgrades and new construction at plants in right-to-work states.

Many states have not been as fortunate as Tennessee, Alabama and Texas. For example, states such as New Hampshire have problems attracting businesses and producing job growth partly because union’s have successfully thwarted lawmakers’ repeated attempts to pass right-to-work legislation. The New Hampshire legislature overwhelmingly passed right-to-work legislation earlier this year only to have the legislation vetoed by the governor. New Hampshire would have been the first state in the Northeast to have a right-to-work law.

Right-To-Work Laws Pay Off With Manufacturing Jobs

Well if Bill Fiala says so it must be true. Who is Bill Fiala?

You sure love to play games don't you?

South Carolina's Manufacturing Revolution - Palmetto Promise Institute

SOUTH CAROLINA’S MANUFACTURING REVOLUTION

Jul 09, 2015

Ellen Weav

Great golf, gorgeous beaches, spicy shrimp and grits, and tea so sweet it’ll knock you into next Tuesday: welcome to South Carolina! But if you listen carefully, above the idyllic lull of the Atlantic waves, you’ll hear the hum of engines as a Palmetto State manufacturing powerhouse roars to life.

Since January 2011, manufacturing jobs in South Carolina have grown at 13.5 percent, nearly double the 7 percent average of our Southeastern neighbors, with a record high $29.7 billion in merchandise exports last year.

Manufacturing job creation has exceeded 200,000 new jobs every year since 2006
, with major announcements from Boeing, Bridgestone, Michelin, Giti Tire, Continental, Daimler, and BMW, just to name a few. In fact, in 2013, South Carolina passed up Oklahoma and Ohio as the nation’s leading tire producer and exporter. And scuttlebutt has recently been centered on another “whale” that may be surfacing as Volvo shops for a home for a new American plant.

Despite economists’ warnings of a “leveling-off” period to all this growth due to a strengthening dollar, rising interest rates, and a natural slow-down of the pent-up post-recession expansion (they don’t call economics the dismal science for nothing, after all), things continue to look cheery across the South.

There is no question that the Southeast—and South Carolina specifically—has been a huge beneficiary of the key underlying premise of Competitive Federalism: as Rust Belt states have taxed, regulated, and unionized manufacturers to death, states like South Carolina have opened their arms.

There are many factors to South Carolina’s success story, including being located in a logistics sweet spot on the I-95 corridor and home to an exceptional deep-water port. But like most generational changes, it started with a visionary leader who refused to take “no” for an answer.
South Carolina’s Workforce Shrinks Again … To Another Record Low
Labor participation in South Carolina is now down a full percentage point since McMaster took office in late January 2017 – a steady downward trend that signals a broader weakening of the state’s employment situation.

Fri, 11/18/2011 - 10:05am10 Comments
by Bill Fiala, Waller Lansden Dortch & Davis

fiala.jpg

Bill Fiala
The pro-job environment in right-to-work states is paying off with new automotive jobs. Tennessee is the home of Volkswagen’s new $1 billion auto assembly plant, as well as plants operated by Nissan and GM. Alabama boasts billion-dollar plants operated by Mercedes-Benz, Honda and Hyundai. Texas enjoys a large automotive manufacturing presence with Peterbilt, GM, International and Toyota. One reason for these states’ growing success in the automotive industry is their strong right-to-work laws embodying a commitment to a worker’s right to choose not to be part of a labor union. Right-to-work laws are an important factor to companies considering where to set up new operations.

In the twenty-two states with right-to-work laws, workers cannot be forced to join unions, or to pay union dues if they decide not to join. In non-right-to-work states, workers must join unions or pay union dues to keep their jobs. If an employee working in a non-right-to-work state fails to join the union or pay union dues then the union forces the company to terminate the employee.

What does the automotive industry’s decision to set up shop mean for these right-to-work states? It means jobs and increased tax revenues. An analysis by the University of Tennessee predicted that Volkswagen’s recent investment will raise incomes in the region by $511 million annually and will generate more than $55 million per year in new tax revenues. Other automotive manufacturers and component suppliers are spending billions in upgrades and new construction at plants in right-to-work states.

Many states have not been as fortunate as Tennessee, Alabama and Texas. For example, states such as New Hampshire have problems attracting businesses and producing job growth partly because union’s have successfully thwarted lawmakers’ repeated attempts to pass right-to-work legislation. The New Hampshire legislature overwhelmingly passed right-to-work legislation earlier this year only to have the legislation vetoed by the governor. New Hampshire would have been the first state in the Northeast to have a right-to-work law.

Right-To-Work Laws Pay Off With Manufacturing Jobs

Well if Bill Fiala says so it must be true. Who is Bill Fiala?

You sure love to play games don't you?

South Carolina's Manufacturing Revolution - Palmetto Promise Institute

SOUTH CAROLINA’S MANUFACTURING REVOLUTION

Jul 09, 2015

Ellen Weav

Great golf, gorgeous beaches, spicy shrimp and grits, and tea so sweet it’ll knock you into next Tuesday: welcome to South Carolina! But if you listen carefully, above the idyllic lull of the Atlantic waves, you’ll hear the hum of engines as a Palmetto State manufacturing powerhouse roars to life.

Since January 2011, manufacturing jobs in South Carolina have grown at 13.5 percent, nearly double the 7 percent average of our Southeastern neighbors, with a record high $29.7 billion in merchandise exports last year.

Manufacturing job creation has exceeded 200,000 new jobs every year since 2006
, with major announcements from Boeing, Bridgestone, Michelin, Giti Tire, Continental, Daimler, and BMW, just to name a few. In fact, in 2013, South Carolina passed up Oklahoma and Ohio as the nation’s leading tire producer and exporter. And scuttlebutt has recently been centered on another “whale” that may be surfacing as Volvo shops for a home for a new American plant.

Despite economists’ warnings of a “leveling-off” period to all this growth due to a strengthening dollar, rising interest rates, and a natural slow-down of the pent-up post-recession expansion (they don’t call economics the dismal science for nothing, after all), things continue to look cheery across the South.

There is no question that the Southeast—and South Carolina specifically—has been a huge beneficiary of the key underlying premise of Competitive Federalism: as Rust Belt states have taxed, regulated, and unionized manufacturers to death, states like South Carolina have opened their arms.

There are many factors to South Carolina’s success story, including being located in a logistics sweet spot on the I-95 corridor and home to an exceptional deep-water port. But like most generational changes, it started with a visionary leader who refused to take “no” for an answer.
South Carolina Slips Further On Business List

According to the latest list of “America’s Top States for Business” – published annually by CNBC – South Carolina ranked No. 30. That’s down a spot from last year and down three spots from 2016. According to the network, it analyzes “more than 60 measures of competitiveness, developed with input from a broad and diverse array of business and policy experts (and) official government sources.” It then narrows down those sixty measures into “ten broad categories, weighted based on how frequently each is used as a selling point in state economic development marketing materials.”

I voted Trump.
And I voted NO for Right To Work.
And I wasn't the only one.

Missouri Voters Reject Anti-Union Law in a Victory for Labor
You should have voted for it. Right to work means more job opportunities and better wages. This was a mistake for us in KC. The jobs will be just over the state line. This thing never gained traction after the Greitens fiasco. It was all union money after that and nobody to promote it.
Only 8% of Missouri workers are union. Many are service industries (airline and railroad) that won't be going anywhere.

The biggest problem we have is wage stagination . It’s all party of the gop war on the working man. That’s ehy the middle class is disappearing.

THe three forces driving wage stagnation are,

1. Trade deficit.

2. outsourcing.

3. immigration.

Republicans have a history on being worse on 1. and 2. but the dems gave up that fight a long, long time ago.

Dems are worse of 3, though until Trump not by much.

Today? Trump is on the right side of each of them to reverse wage stagnation.

There are other issues that have led to stagnant wages. Technology. Carrier kept the jobs they were planning to ship to Mexico in the US long enough to automate much of their production. Then they laid off the people they were planning to lay off anyway. McDonalds is experimenting with robots that can flip burgers.

Yet German car workers make twice what ours do, while enjoying massive exports, in the same tech environment as ours.

So, it is not technology.

Cost of living...yep....if one makes more money living is essier. Paid vacations, sick time, and insurance are all things workers want and need. Thanks to unions. Like anything else it's cyclical. Workers will start to figure it out. The i want to work for leas while management wages rose will go by the wayside. Workers will eventually tell them to stick it and rightfully so.

If that was true how come workers leave the Union in droves when RTW is put into law? ( An example would be the Wisconsin teachers union)

Why didn't the workers at Boeing SC unionize , or VW in Tenneessee?

Sorry no one likes American stlye unions.

You are correct, I love my union!

Cost of living...yep....if one makes more money living is essier. Paid vacations, sick time, and insurance are all things workers want and need. Thanks to unions. Like anything else it's cyclical. Workers will start to figure it out. The i want to work for leas while management wages rose will go by the wayside. Workers will eventually tell them to stick it and rightfully so.

If that was true how come workers leave the Union in droves when RTW is put into law? ( An example would be the Wisconsin teachers union)

Yup you are probably at work with your feet up munching on Cheetos , drinking a diet Coke right now just after you told your boss " it's not my job" and ran over to your shop steward crying like a little bitch.

Yup you are probably at work with your feet up munching on Cheetos , drinking a diet Coke right now just after you told your boss " it's not my job" and ran over to your shop steward crying like a little bitch.

Lol, not even close, been flying 16, 18 and 24 inch pipe into a pipe rack all morning. Sorry if better wages and benefits offend you. Nah who am I kidding, I am glad they offend you.

I'm good with with private sector Unions, so long as no one's forced to join and pay dues. But i don't support Government Unions at all. They shouldn't exist. They constantly rape Taxpayers and hold them hostage.

I'm good with with private sector Unions, so long as no one's forced to join and pay dues. But i don't support Government Unions at all. They shouldn't exist. They constantly rape Taxpayers and hold them hostage.

How so? Because they form voting blocks ? Who doesn’t do that.

I think the intent of the 'right to work' laws is good - we want to push back against bad labor law. But the solution is wrong. Employers should be free to sign an exclusive contract with the union if that's how they want to run their business. The problem is that they are often forced to by the aforementioned bad labor law. The solution is to remove the laws forcing the union in the first place, not pile on more stupid rules.

The plain truth is that Missouri passed a right to work law last year that prevented private sector unions from collecting compulsory fees from workers who do not join. What Missouri voters did was repeal that law, which basically means that going forward they cannot force employees to join the union but they can force them to pay union dues whether they join or not. I personally think it should be a choice for each worker to make, to pay union dues or not. But if the people in Missouri feel otherwise, then so be it. It's their state and I believe it is the voters in each state that should be making these decisions for themselves. But there will be consequences:

Foreign and domestic companies who were considering Missouri as a place to build a new plant or factory will be looking elsewhere.

Existing companies will not be expanding their businesses in Missouri as much as they might have if the RTW was still in effect.

Existing companies will be more incentivized to automate jobs, cut benefits, reduce the number of employees and/or hours worked.

Existing companies will be looking to move to other states that do have RTW laws.

Some existing companies that contractually can't move or adopt these other strategies will in some cases close.

All that said, let's be honest and stipulate that there are a number of factors involved with economic growth in a given state. One of which is the RTW laws, so if we look at the relative economic data in Missouri about 4 or 5 years from now compared to the nearby RTW states, there could be other factors involved. BUT - it is beyond doubt that higher labor costs drive a higher product price, that is Econ 101. And so if the price of your product is higher than your competitors then you're going to have a problem.

Forum List

Back