Problem spots to look out for in immigration reform legislation?

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
What are the good things about the immigration reform bill? What may be just words?

I personally would like it to address what's going to happen in 10 or 20 years to the predicted millions of people who decide to throw the dice and break the rules in the hopes of a new amnesty ruling for them?

On a completely different note, on NPR this morning I heard about how the legislation pays lip service to recruiting Americans before filling slots with foreign workers. As the report said, "making companies recruit Americans isn't the same as making them hire them."

Some Tech Companies Find Ways Not To Hire Americans : NPR

Often when an ad is placed asking for applications, it's tailored to the qualifications of the foreign worker already in the job with a temporary visa. The decision has already been made to hire that worker permanently and the company is just going through the motions of looking for qualified Americans.

What are the good things about the immigration reform bill? What may be just words?

I personally would like it to address what's going to happen in 10 or 20 years to the predicted millions of people who decide to throw the dice and break the rules in the hopes of a new amnesty ruling for them?

On a completely different note, on NPR this morning I heard about how the legislation pays lip service to recruiting Americans before filling slots with foreign workers. As the report said, "making companies recruit Americans isn't the same as making them hire them."

Often when an ad is placed asking for applications, it's tailored to the qualifications of the foreign worker already in the job with a temporary visa. The decision has already been made to hire that worker permanently and the company is just going through the motions of looking for qualified Americans.

From the article:

One provision in this bill would allow companies to import a lot more skilled workers. The tech industry has lobbied hard for this, despite fears among some American workers about the extra competition.

Well, yea. That was the centerpiece of Romney's immigration reform plan. And Republicans were "depressed" he wasn't elected. 3.8 million jobs available in this country and the Republican leadership thinks their base is simply too damn dumb to learn. Can we hear the "Yea's!"?

From the article:

One provision in this bill would allow companies to import a lot more skilled workers. The tech industry has lobbied hard for this, despite fears among some American workers about the extra competition.

Well, yea. That was the centerpiece of Romney's immigration reform plan. And Republicans were "depressed" he wasn't elected. 3.8 million jobs available in this country and the Republican leadership thinks their base is simply too damn dumb to learn. Can we hear the "Yea's!"?

This thread is not about Romney's plans. This thread is about the immigration bill currently in the works and what the specific ramifications of this specific bill could be. The potential catches. The unintended consequences, some of which might be able to be averted if people are attentive.

Since recently legalized illegal immigrants won't qualify for Obamacare, will it be less expensive to hire them? Will employers avoid the $2000 penalty or other costs by hiring them instead of hiring citizens?

Forum List

Back