"protecting" And "serving"

If what I heard is correct, there are 1,000,000 cops in America.

10,000 of them equals 1%.

I don't think there are 10,000 cops each year doing this kind of stuff.

It's like castigating all Muslims based on the actions of a few.

Cops should wear body cams.

It'll protect the parties, and show exactly what they're doing.

Some think it's a great tool against the police: it may be the opposite.

It may show that way more cops than not are in the right, and Al and co, well, suck.

I agree. I think there are far more than that.

Let's see. Your silly thread has been going since September 2014.

And you have 807 responses. Even if EVERY one of those 807 new posts were a new incident of bad cops....that wouldn't even be 0.1%.

10,000 would be 1%...a tiny number and it's inevitable that ANY group of 1,000,000 humans will have criminals inside it.

So.....807 responses. Maybe...500 of them are new incidents? You have a month to find 9,500 new incidents....and that would prove 1% of cops over the past year are bad.

Either you have a lot of work to do.....or its time to grow up and stop acting like a cop hating college sophomore.

Could you share a rough estimate, please?

He can't.

He'll say like 50-80%....because...well....it just HAS to be that bad ya know?

The DOJ estimated based on actual stats that about 0.5% of American cops have corruption/integrity/use of force problems.

So basically. ...Dont Taze Me wants to tear down I-95 from Miami to New York.....because he found a pot hole in Virginia.

And you have 807 responses. Even if EVERY one of those 807 new posts were a new incident of bad cops....that wouldn't even be 0.1%.

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

That would only even BEGIN to make sense if all police abuse cases automatically wended their way to the pages of USMB. You have any idea how not-even-remotely-close that is? "Too small a sample" doesn't even begin to smell it.

But yeah based on the everyday likelihood gleaned from simple everyday experience in one's own life, it's reasonable that that 1% estimate would be waaaay low. That would mean my chances of not getting harassed on any given encounter would be 99%, which is laughable.

The DOJ estimated based on actual stats that about 0.5% of American cops have corruption/integrity/use of force problems.

That's the DOJ ----- documenting cases it already knows about.
What percentage (and I don't know, I'm posing the question) of police abuse is committed by cops who had no previous run-ins, like say, Eric Casebolt? How many powder kegs just waiting to blow are walking around right now?

Übermilitarization of police is a festering cancer that's been growing and highly documented. It's an entire attitude shift. These cases are not happening because "police by nature are dicks". They're happening because police are being deliberately trained to be dicks. This ain't no accident; it's very much by design.

Personally I never even saw this thread until today. I immediately thought it was a great idea considering how many such stories are already peppered around Current Events and Race Relations etc. Hell I've been thinking this should have its own Forum. So thanks for this thread DTMB. It's needed.

That would only even BEGIN to make sense if all police abuse cases automatically wended their way to the pages of USMB. You have any idea how not-even-remotely-close that is? "Too small a sample" doesn't even begin to smell it.

But yeah based on the everyday likelihood gleaned from simple everyday experience in one's own life, it's reasonable that that 1% estimate would be waaaay low. That would mean my chances of not getting harassed on any given encounter would be 99%, which is laughable.

What percentage (and I don't know, I'm posing the question) of police abuse is committed by cops who had no previous run-ins, like say, Eric Casebolt? How many powder kegs just waiting to blow are walking around right now?

Übermilitarization of police is a festering cancer that's been growing and highly documented. It's an entire attitude shift. These cases are not happening because "police by nature are dicks". They're happening because police are being deliberately trained to be dicks. This ain't no accident; it's very much by design.

Personally I never even saw this thread until today. I immediately thought it was a great idea considering how many such stories are already peppered around Current Events and Race Relations etc. Hell I've been thinking this should have its own Forum. So thanks for this thread DTMB. It's needed.

So in short...you have no evidence...other than a gut feeling hunch of...well..hey it just has to be way worse. Because...well...just because.

Go for it. You will never find 10,000 links in a year. Because there just aren't that many incidents happening.

And if cops are "harrassing" you...99.9999% chance you're either a criminal, acting like one, or hanging around them. But who knows...maybe one of that 0.5% is messing with you.

With state worship as a professed religion, its canon laid out in the federal register, and the accumulation of all state and local laws and regulations. One would be a busy feller doing all that reading
One would also be committing 3 felonies a day

Just how many readers here would want to be a cop today and have every sentence, every move scrutinized like the cops today are? I would not want to be one. I admit I could make a mistake in the heat of the moment and wouldn't want to spend the rest of my days in prison.

No one is perfect. Give cops a break except for those who are chronic abusers of protocol.

Just how many readers here would want to be a cop today and have every sentence, every move scrutinized like the cops today are? I would not want to be one. I admit I could make a mistake in the heat of the moment and wouldn't want to spend the rest of my days in prison.

No one is perfect. Give cops a break except for those who are chronic abusers of protocol.

I think that's what the thread is already doing.
To paraphrase an old joke punchline, "we've already agreed on that, now we're just haggling over the price proportion".

The scrutiny noted is well earned. I didn't need YouTube to see it in action, way before the internets existed. And again, it's chronic. It's not like this shit is just blown up and sensationalized -- it's rampant. And it's rampant because it's designed in, on purpose. It's a generalization, but cops in the US behave too often like an occupying army rather than a public service. And that's the result of being trained and indoctrinated that way. The "warrior cop" seems to see the public as a mass of criminals to be taken out, one at a time. It's all about the attitude.

Last edited:

If I had good knees and bad morals...hell yes, I'd love to be a cop! Shit, I'd be halfway to retirement by now!

I would say that the number of bad cops is-at least-50%. Quite possibly more.

Nope. That's as outlandish as your Rightist counterparts who say at least 50% of all black people are bad.

I suspect it's low, if anything. Note: I consider any cop that sees corruption and/or thuggery and says nothing to be a bad cop. Silence is consent!

Forum List

Back