"protecting" And "serving"

No actually they are to blame for only a small part of that the main problem is media that takes what are a small number of incidents when you realize how many police officers there are across the nation and try to protray their actions as representative of the majority of police officers. Any police officer who crossses the line should be delt with switfly but fairly and you don't come down on the entire force because of the actions of a few they did that in Balitmore and we see how that's working out.
What you've said would be true if it were the habit of the good cops to openly censure and purge the bad ones. But it isn't. In fact with very few exceptions it is in the nature of virtually all cops to defend and make excuses for rogue cops like Eric Casebolt and so many others who are caught red-handed by a camera lens.

The simple truth is the militarization of American police, which is a direct consequence of the drug war, has transformed what once was an extension of the public sector into an entity unto itself, an insular authoritarian cult with a universal them vs us disposition. And the more militarized they become the more distant from the civilian mainstream they will drift.

The simple fact is the police are agents of the State whose primary function is to protect and serve -- the rich and powerful.

No actually they are to blame for only a small part of that the main problem is media that takes what are a small number of incidents when you realize how many police officers there are across the nation and try to protray their actions as representative of the majority of police officers. Any police officer who crossses the line should be delt with switfly but fairly and you don't come down on the entire force because of the actions of a few they did that in Balitmore and we see how that's working out.
What you've said would be true if it were the habit of the good cops to openly censure and purge the bad ones. But it isn't. In fact with very few exceptions it is in the nature of virtually all cops to defend and make excuses for rogue cops like Eric Casebolt and so many others who are caught red-handed by a camera lens.

The simple truth is the militarization of American police, which is a direct consequence of the drug war, has transformed what once was an extension of the public sector into an entity unto itself, an insular authoritarian cult with a universal them vs us disposition. And the more militarized they become the more distant from the civilian mainstream they will drift.

The simple fact is the police are agents of the State whose primary function is to protect and serve -- the rich and powerful.
There was not a single cop that I saw that defended Eric Casebolts actions which included the Mckinney chief of police the only thing most cops want when one of their own is accused is to get the facts first before passing judgement. The exact thing that didn't happen in Freguson when the officer was convicted in the press mainly off the media pushed false hands up don't shoot narrative.

There was not a single cop that I saw that defended Eric Casebolts actions which included the Mckinney chief of police the only thing most cops want when one of their own is accused is to get the facts first before passing judgement. The exact thing that didn't happen in Freguson when the officer was convicted in the press mainly off the media pushed false hands up don't shoot narrative.
Except for the McKinney Police Chief I didn't read commentary on the Casebolt debacle from one single rank and file cop. If you did, please point me to the link.

Thanks.

And once again the taxpayers will have to foot the bill. This pay out should come straight out of the Philadelphia PD's pension fund.

Philly to pay 490 000 to family of man killed by rogue cop

That guy was CLEARLY guilty of murder, but I fail to see how the city was held responsible. He wasn't on duty at the time, and he wasn't acting as an agent of the state.

He is a clear example of someone who never should have been hired as a LEO though, so I suppose that is one line of thinking.

And once again the taxpayers will have to foot the bill. This pay out should come straight out of the Philadelphia PD's pension fund.

Philly to pay 490 000 to family of man killed by rogue cop

That guy was CLEARLY guilty of murder, but I fail to see how the city was held responsible. He wasn't on duty at the time, and he wasn't acting as an agent of the state.

Yeah, that's actually a good point.

That's my problem with half these cases. These guys fight with the cops, knowing that they have a good chance of a payday if they get hurt.

Now in cases like above where the LEO was just a straight up asshole, I don't give a shit if he was a LEO or not, fry his ass. but when it's a legitimate arrest and a ramped up level of force has to be used to effect that arrest and a suspect gets hurt, too fucking bad says I.

While I'm sure there are some rank and file cops who are personally critical of Casebolt's conduct their willingness to speak out on it is impeded by the Blue Wall of Silence, an internal circumstance which stigmatizes any cop who publicly criticizes other cops as a "rat." In the simplest terms it may be said that police in America, largely as the consequence of their powerful unions, have evolved into a universally insular, us-against-them, cult.

MikeK said:
Except for the McKinney Police Chief I didn't read commentary on the Casebolt debacle from one single rank and file cop. If you did, please point me to the link.

Thanks.
In fairness...virtually every legit police department has strict policy about rank and file officers publicly commenting on issues of their department.

Itd be like a Private in the Marines going on Fox to comment on his opinions of Obamas war leadership.

While I'm sure there are some rank and file cops who are personally critical of Casebolt's conduct their willingness to speak out on it is impeded by the Blue Wall of Silence, an internal circumstance which stigmatizes any cop who publicly criticizes other cops as a "rat." In the simplest terms it may be said that police in America, largely as the consequence of their powerful unions, have evolved into a universally insular, us-against-them, cult.

Its internal policy. The business world has it too. The mail clerk at Microsoft isnt allowed to go on TV and rip the actions of Microsoft. And the military. Privates dont go on Fox and rip their upcoming deployment.

That isnt unique to police work.

Taz, you say you don't trust your local police department. I trust my local police department and pretty much every other LEO in this country a thousand times more than I trust all but a small handful of people whom I personally know. Hell, I trust them more than a majority of my family members.

Then again, I go out of my way to avoid interacting with officers any more than is absolutely necessary. I don't give them a reason to stop me. I don't live in or even visit neighborhoods where there is significant criminal activity. I am prepared to defend myself and my home rather than calling a cop to protect me.

Maybe if more people would FOLLOW THE LAWS, this wouldn't be so much of an issue.

Including jaywalking. And she didn't have her ID! :eek-52:

The police chief reacted by saying that at least, we didn't rape her.

Austin police chief apologizes for comments about jogger

Thats crazy..Those fat ass cops were upset they had to jog to catch up with her

Its internal policy. The business world has it too. The mail clerk at Microsoft isnt allowed to go on TV and rip the actions of Microsoft. And the military. Privates dont go on Fox and rip their upcoming deployment.

That isnt unique to police work.
What exactly do you mean by the mail clerk at Microsoft "isn't allowed" to criticize Microsoft? What, specifically, would happen to him?

Please don't compare civilian police operations with military deployments. Because it's screwballs like Casebolt who think along those lines. And I don't believe Casebolt has always harbored his presently bizarre orientation. I believe he's acquired it over time in gradual stages, mainly by mimicking the behavior of other screwball cops who haven't been exposed yet.

And I'll wager you know of a few -- or more than a few.

In fairness...virtually every legit police department has strict policy about rank and file officers publicly commenting on issues of their department.
What are the penalties for telling the truth?

Itd be like a Private in the Marines going on Fox to comment on his opinions of Obamas war leadership.
What civilian police department do you know of that resembles the Marine Corps, either functionally or administratively?

Former Prince George’s County police officer James Harrison was found guilty of second-degree assault and was given a one-year suspended sentence in December of 2012 for the brutal beating of a UMD student, which was caught on video in 2010.

Harrison only ended up serving 30 days of home confinement.

Despite being convicted of a felony Harrison was able to retire before the trial and keep his full pension. But that is not the worst of it.

Police officer s conviction tossed out in UMD beating case caught on video WJLA.com

Wow

"It sends a message that they (the police) can do whatever they want," McKenna, now a second-year law student, said Tuesday. "If they can get away with beating me up on national TV for doing nothing, it really makes me scared for what's going to happen to those in a dark alley when the cameras aren't shining."

Jon Erzen, a spokesman for the Office of the State's Attorney, said prosecutors, too, were surprised that the judge set aside the jury's verdict in the case.

"They (jurors) said Mr. Harrison's actions were not acceptable policing and they were criminal," Erzen said Tuesday.

Harrison retired with a full pension before his trial, but now with his felony criminal record cleared - there is a chance he could go back into police work. Harrison's lawyer did not return calls Tuesday seeking comment.

McKenna collected a $2 million dollar settlement from the police department to drop a civil lawsuit in the case, but his attorney was fuming Tuesday over the criminal conviction being overturned.

Read more: Police officer s conviction tossed out in UMD beating case caught on video WJLA.com
Follow us: @ABC7News on Twitter | WJLATV on Facebook

The good old Justice system...working for the people

Last edited:
What are the penalties for telling the truth?

What civilian police department do you know of that resembles the Marine Corps, either functionally or administratively?

You dont get my point. Almost any organization of any type has internal policies forbidding low level employees from publicly speaking out critically about organization issues. Private business. Police. Military. Law firms. McDonalds. Name one...they have it. Its common.

If a Microsoft mail clerk showed up on CNN rippint Microsoft employees and accusing them of corruption and ripping some recent action by the company...hes probably fired.

Former Prince George’s County police officer James Harrison was found guilty of second-degree assault and was given a one-year suspended sentence in December of 2012 for the brutal beating of a UMD student, which was caught on video in 2010.

Harrison only ended up serving 30 days of home confinement.

Despite being convicted of a felony Harrison was able to retire before the trial and keep his full pension. But that is not the worst of it.

Police officer s conviction tossed out in UMD beating case caught on video WJLA.com

Wow

Wow what? That a 1st time offender got off easy in court? Thats how the system works. Want cops treated like everyone else....dont bitch then when they are.

You dont get my point. Almost any organization of any type has internal policies forbidding low level employees from publicly speaking out critically about organization issues. Private business. Police. Military. Law firms. McDonalds. Name one...they have it. Its common.

If a Microsoft mail clerk showed up on CNN ripping Microsoft employees and accusing them of corruption and ripping some recent action by the company...hes probably fired.
Has this hypothetical mail clerk presented evidence in support of his claims? Or is he voicing his opinion?

And do mail clerks typically belong to powerful unions and have all sorts of civil service protections?

Wow what? That a 1st time offender got off easy in court? Thats how the system works. Want cops treated like everyone else....dont bitch then when they are.
A first-time drug offender, shoplifter, prostitute, or perpetrator of some other relatively minor offense in which no one is seriously harmed is likely to be treated with leniency. But what I saw in that video is an example of unprovoked, malicious, aggravated battery. And in spite of the fact that I was a productive professional and I have an impeccable record, if I were to knock down some innocent person and beat him with a stick you know damn well I would be very lucky to get off with a six-month minimum sentence.

In New York State the usual minimum sentence for aggravated battery is anywhere from one to ten years, depending on circumstances and the defendant's background.

So little by little you are revealing your detachment from the civilian mainstream, a circumstance which is believed to have a potentially damaging psychological effect when a subject is removed (retires) from an habituated status of presumptive exceptionalism and is unexpectedly cast into a relatively ordinary (civilian) status. So in the interest of caution I will advise you of an ironic observation which is commonly heard at NYPD retirement dinners, which is, "When you're out -- you're out!"

Only they know what it means.

(Excerpt)

Retired officers are those who officially retired from police work after completing the required number of years prescribed by their departments. Our reasoning is based on the proposition that police work is a cohesive occupation and officers develop a strong bond with coworkers and with the status of the job itself (Violanti, 1992). Separating from police work, even prior to an official retirement, may have an impact on psychologi-cal well-being (Violanti, 1992; Pole, Kulkami, Bernstein, & Kaufmann, 2006). However, it is likely that the majority of separated officers in this study were officially retired, given their mean age of 55.3 years. Current workers were defined as actively employed or died while working.mEtHOd The mortality cohort consisted of officers (n = 3,228) who worked a minimum of five years for the Buffalo Police Department, New York, between January 1, 1950 and De-cember 31, 2005. A portion of this cohort was involved in a comprehensive study on police stress and health (Violanti, Vena, Burchfiel, Sharp, Miller, Andrew, Dorn, et al, 2006). Officers who did not have birth data, hire date, or date of termination (n = 142), and officers who worked less than 5 years (n = 54) were excluded from the original data set (N = 3,424). Sources of follow-up included the benefit and pension programs of the city of Buffalo, the New York State Retire-ment System, New York State Vital Statistics Division, Buf-falo Police employment records, Buffalo Police Association publications, obituaries, and the National Death Index. Death certificates were coded by state nosologists according to the International Classification of Diseases (ICD) revision for suicide in effect at the time of death (ICD codes E950-E959; suicide and self inflicted injury). Codes were subsequently converted for analysis to the 8th ICD Revision.

Is suicide higher among separated retired police officers an epidemiological investigation. - ResearchGate

(Close)

Last edited:

If a Microsoft mail clerk showed up on CNN ripping Microsoft employees and accusing them of corruption and ripping some recent action by the company...hes probably fired.
Has this hypothetical mail clerk presented evidence in support of his claims? Or is he voicing his opinion?

And do mail clerks typically belong to powerful unions and have all sorts of civil service protections?

Well...we can both play that. Who are these hypothetical cops who wont speak out? If you can list any...then they obviously spoke out.

And yes...if that clerk had evidence of wrongdoing and went on TV with it...his career is over. In fact...its why whistle blower laws were even passed.

A first-time drug offender, shoplifter, prostitute, or perpetrator of some other relatively minor offense in which no one is seriously harmed is likely to be treated with leniency. But what I saw in that video is an example of unprovoked, malicious, aggravated battery. And in spite of the fact that I was a productive professional and I have an impeccable record, if I were to knock down some innocent person and beat him with a stick you know damn well I would be very lucky to get off with a six-month minimum sentence.

In New York State the usual minimum sentence for aggravated battery is anywhere from one to ten years, depending on circumstances and the defendant's background.

So little by little you are revealing your detachment from the civilian mainstream, a circumstance which is believed to have a potentially damaging psychological effect when a subject is removed (retires) from an habituated status of presumptive exceptionalism and is unexpectedly cast into a relatively ordinary (civilian) status. So in the interest of caution I will advise you of an ironic observation which is commonly heard at NYPD retirement dinners, which is, "When you're out -- you're out!"

Only they know what it means.

(Excerpt)

Retired officers are those who officially retired from police work after completing the required number of years prescribed by their departments. Our reasoning is based on the proposition that police work is a cohesive occupation and officers develop a strong bond with coworkers and with the status of the job itself (Violanti, 1992). Separating from police work, even prior to an official retirement, may have an impact on psychologi-cal well-being (Violanti, 1992; Pole, Kulkami, Bernstein, & Kaufmann, 2006). However, it is likely that the majority of separated officers in this study were officially retired, given their mean age of 55.3 years. Current workers were defined as actively employed or died while working.mEtHOd The mortality cohort consisted of officers (n = 3,228) who worked a minimum of five years for the Buffalo Police Department, New York, between January 1, 1950 and De-cember 31, 2005. A portion of this cohort was involved in a comprehensive study on police stress and health (Violanti, Vena, Burchfiel, Sharp, Miller, Andrew, Dorn, et al, 2006). Officers who did not have birth data, hire date, or date of termination (n = 142), and officers who worked less than 5 years (n = 54) were excluded from the original data set (N = 3,424). Sources of follow-up included the benefit and pension programs of the city of Buffalo, the New York State Retire-ment System, New York State Vital Statistics Division, Buf-falo Police employment records, Buffalo Police Association publications, obituaries, and the National Death Index. Death certificates were coded by state nosologists according to the International Classification of Diseases (ICD) revision for suicide in effect at the time of death (ICD codes E950-E959; suicide and self inflicted injury). Codes were subsequently converted for analysis to the 8th ICD Revision.

Is suicide higher among separated retired police officers an epidemiological investigation. - ResearchGate

(Close)

I only did it for 8 years. Left it 15 years ago. Im very much civilianized haha.

Forum List

Back