PTO instead of paid OT?

If you are a full time worker, you should be getting at least four weeks paid holidays per year, as well as overtime should you work longer.

But that's in Australia, of course.

Yeah, here in America we work more hours, have a higher productivity rate and get less vacation time and less pay. Something is wrong here.

there is a problem with 'higher productivity'?
Hmm. Perhaps I am mistaken. I was under the impression that the concept of hiring employees was for a business to be more productive..

Only in America do they think when the pie gets bigger, the only people who should get more is the top 10%. Only in America do they think that higher productivity should be rewarded with lower wages.

GOP seeks alternative to overtime pay

WASHINGTON (AP) — It seems like a simple proposition: give employees who work more than 40 hours a week the option of taking paid time off instead of overtime pay.

The choice already exists in the public sector. Federal and state workers can save earned time off and use it weeks or even months later to attend a parent-teacher conference, care for an elderly parent or deal with home repairs.

Republicans in Congress are pushing legislation that would extend that option to the private sector. They say that would bring more flexibility to the workplace and help workers better balance family and career.

Sounds like a great option to me. There's times when I don't need the extra money and times when I really NEED some time off. Being a divorced dad, I miss out on a lot so I think this is a great idea.

You?

If it's an hour and a half of PTO for over hour of OT, then I'm okay with it. If it's hour for hour match, then forget it. Bosses need to get their tightwad checkbooks out and start paying for their labor.

well, if you're off you're not laboring asswarp.

As long as it is the option of the employee, and not the option of the employer, I would agree. Seeing as how it is Cantor pushing the bill, I sure as hell would read the language damned carefully.

All I know is it has the potential for being abused and when I worked for the federal government, my boss wouldn't even let me take my sick leave when I took off to have my kid. He said, "You're pregnant, not sick". So if I ever go back to the Federal Government, I get those sick leave hours back, but that's not going to happen. Just another way for them to steal from their employees.

All you would have needed was documentation written by your prenatal doctor stating you should be not working and that would have taken care of the problem.
You boss was correct, although he could have chosen his words carefully, that pregnancy is a 'sickness'....It is NOT a 'condition'. Not a disability. Nor is it an illness.

I worked for the Federal Government for over 30 years and maternity was clearly defined as a reason for sick leave

http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...n/fact-sheets/sick-leave-general-information/

Last edited:
All I know is it has the potential for being abused and when I worked for the federal government, my boss wouldn't even let me take my sick leave when I took off to have my kid. He said, "You're pregnant, not sick". So if I ever go back to the Federal Government, I get those sick leave hours back, but that's not going to happen. Just another way for them to steal from their employees.

All you would have needed was documentation written by your prenatal doctor stating you should be not working and that would have taken care of the problem.
You boss was correct, although he could have chosen his words carefully, that pregnancy is a 'sickness'....It is NOT a 'condition'. Not a disability. Nor is it an illness.

I worked for the Federal Government for over 30 years and maternity was clearly defined as a reason for sick leave

Sick Leave (General Information)

Well that explains alot. noted....

I make over $30 per hour on OT..I get SMOKED on taxes.
Bullshit. If that's your OT rate then you are basically making 40K a year. An additional 5 hours a week OT wouldn't be taxed at a rate different than the rate you are already being taxed at. For that to happen, you'd have to start earning over 87K per year in total and even then, only earnings above 87K would be taxed at a higher rate.

I guess you just know it all.
Not going to argue with someone who has a deep dependency on supposition.
I didn't realize you were arguing with yourself. Damn, you're an idiot. A koolaide drinking willfully ignorant asshole that believes what he wants to believe.

Hey, maybe you could be a Professional Victim like Sarah Palin.

GOP seeks alternative to overtime pay

WASHINGTON (AP) — It seems like a simple proposition: give employees who work more than 40 hours a week the option of taking paid time off instead of overtime pay.

The choice already exists in the public sector. Federal and state workers can save earned time off and use it weeks or even months later to attend a parent-teacher conference, care for an elderly parent or deal with home repairs.

Republicans in Congress are pushing legislation that would extend that option to the private sector. They say that would bring more flexibility to the workplace and help workers better balance family and career.

Sounds like a great option to me. There's times when I don't need the extra money and times when I really NEED some time off. Being a divorced dad, I miss out on a lot so I think this is a great idea.

You?

As long as it is the option of the employee, and not the option of the employer, I would agree. Seeing as how it is Cantor pushing the bill, I sure as hell would read the language damned carefully.

I already did, and posted a link. So far not one single person has shown me anything about it that does anything like they said.

Yeah, here in America we work more hours, have a higher productivity rate and get less vacation time and less pay. Something is wrong here.

there is a problem with 'higher productivity'?
Hmm. Perhaps I am mistaken. I was under the impression that the concept of hiring employees was for a business to be more productive..

Only in America do they think when the pie gets bigger, the only people who should get more is the top 10%. Only in America do they think that higher productivity should be rewarded with lower wages.
Want some cheese to go with that 'whine'?

A conundrum. Againsheila claims she was not permitted to take leave.
Yet, federal workers have this union to back them..Hmmm...seems like that is a lot of hooey.
Perhaps you pro union people need a group hug.

Bullshit. If that's your OT rate then you are basically making 40K a year. An additional 5 hours a week OT wouldn't be taxed at a rate different than the rate you are already being taxed at. For that to happen, you'd have to start earning over 87K per year in total and even then, only earnings above 87K would be taxed at a higher rate.

I didn't realize you were arguing with yourself. Damn, you're an idiot. A koolaide drinking willfully ignorant asshole that believes what he wants to believe.

An "I know you are but what am I".....You lose.
You're as substantive as the vacuum of outer space.
You have nothing.

Yet, federal workers have this union to back them..Hmmm...seems like that is a lot of hooey.

Yeah, well, I probably could have fought it and won but I was 9 months pregnant, making very little money and my husband was laid off from work. We didn't have a lot of money and I didn't belong to any union. I worked for the DOD, we didn't have a choice of a union, I don't know, maybe things have changed? I found it interesting that when my mother worked for the DOD, they had maternity leave but that was done away with sometime in the 60's or 70s because the men started demanding "paternity leave". So my mother was able to get 6 weeks of maternity leave when she had my sister but there was no such thing for me and I couldn't even use my 2 weeks sick leave.

Last edited:

Yeah, well, I probably could have fought it and won but I was 9 months pregnant, making very little money and my husband was laid off from work. We didn't have a lot of money and I didn't belong to any union. I worked for the DOD, we didn't have a choice of a union, I don't know, maybe things have changed? I found it interesting that when my mother worked for the DOD, they had maternity leave but that was done away with sometime in the 60's or 70s because the men started demanding "paternity leave". So my mother was able to get 6 weeks of maternity leave when she had my sister but there was no such thing for me and I couldn't even use my 2 weeks sick leave.

The Federal Government even let's you use sick leave for an adoption or caring for a sick child

You can use sick leave while you are in labor or recovering from labor. Once you and your baby have recovered, you have to use annual leave.

The Federal Government even let's you use sick leave for an adoption or caring for a sick child

You can use sick leave while you are in labor or recovering from labor. Once you and your baby have recovered, you have to use annual leave.

Yeah, they instituted that AFTER I quit working for the government. I took off before I went into labor, maybe that was my problem? I never did go back.

Just a minute...The Family and Medical Leave Act provides for up 12 weeks leave. Not all would be paid, but your employer MUST retain the employee( not necessarily the same job) and have a position once they return to work.
What gives?
Some pieces of the story are being left out.

You have nothing.
No worries. You stick to your 40K a year job, afraid to earn more because you think you'll get taxed more on what you earn between 40 and 87. Someone will fill your void.

Yeah, they instituted that AFTER I quit working for the government. I took off before I went into labor, maybe that was my problem? I never did go back.
Maybe your boss lied to you and you didn't know enough to go to the union. This is one reason unions are important, they help you understand the ins and outs of your employment rules and are on your side in negotiations.

Of course now that the Republicans are well on their way to outlawing unions....

There is a federal labor law that mandates ALL non management employees MUST be paid hourly and are of course eligible for time and a half for all hours worked past 40.
Sounds like a good idea, correct?

Well when this law was proposed, the unions went ballistic. Why? Because it was introduced and sponsored by mostly GOP House Members AND endorsed by Bush 43.
So you tell me when you want to change your bullshit story.

And when that Law passed, companies started handing out management titles like crazy. It had NOTHING to do with who was introducing the law. It had everything to do with how it was going to be abused.

Or didn't you know that? Oh, of course not. You are in a Union.

Dude...I would not shit on the office floor of a union hall.
And you are dead stupid wrong.
Upon passage of this law, my wife's employer reclassified her as non-exempt. She started getting overtime pay..
To comply with the new law, employers have to prove that a worker actually supervised or had subordinates in his or her charge.
What is this week's flavor for your Kool-Aid?

So you have some "hearsay evidence" about your wife?

You also posted you are a NYC Police Officer. That means you are in a UNION. Whether or not you'd take a shit in the Union Hall is of little relevance.

10 Tricks Employers Use To Cheat Workers Out Of Overtime - Careers Articles

The law says that if you are making over $455 a week you can be classified as an executive.

We bank hours through the summer when we are working 12-16hrs a day so we don't usually have to fall back on unemployment during Feb-March when we sometimes get slow.

The boys have the option of taking 1.5ot pay if they choose too,and Saturdays is always 1.5 on the check if they choose to work it, but to a man over the last 15yrs they prefer to know what their pay will be every week, all year long. On occasion the odd fella will ask for a certain week or two of their OT pay when they need it for whatever their personal reason is, but that has been very rare.

Works for us, and I haven't had anyone leave in a decade so we can't be treating them that badly.

You have nothing.
No worries. You stick to your 40K a year job, afraid to earn more because you think you'll get taxed more on what you earn between 40 and 87. Someone will fill your void.

Hey stupid...The comp time is PAID days off....

Maybe your boss lied to you and you didn't know enough to go to the union. This is one reason unions are important, they help you understand the ins and outs of your employment rules and are on your side in negotiations.

Of course now that the Republicans are well on their way to outlawing unions....

Outlawing unions?....Now of course that is not true. Nor is it accurate.
You are a hack.

Forum List

Back