PTO instead of paid OT?

And when that Law passed, companies started handing out management titles like crazy. It had NOTHING to do with who was introducing the law. It had everything to do with how it was going to be abused.

Or didn't you know that? Oh, of course not. You are in a Union.

Dude...I would not shit on the office floor of a union hall.
And you are dead stupid wrong.
Upon passage of this law, my wife's employer reclassified her as non-exempt. She started getting overtime pay..
To comply with the new law, employers have to prove that a worker actually supervised or had subordinates in his or her charge.
What is this week's flavor for your Kool-Aid?

So you have some "hearsay evidence" about your wife?

You also posted you are a NYC Police Officer. That means you are in a UNION. Whether or not you'd take a shit in the Union Hall is of little relevance.

10 Tricks Employers Use To Cheat Workers Out Of Overtime - Careers Articles

The law says that if you are making over $455 a week you can be classified as an executive.
I have no clue where you got the idea I was NYPD...
Please produce the post where I stated that.
I need not produce evidence of a personal nature.
If you are unable to accept my post as the truth, it's YOUR problem.
As for your conspiracy laden nonsense regarding "executive" pay starting at $455 per week, please show where any person you can think of who makes that little in SALARY, that has the keys to the executive washroom.
Have at it, genius.

We bank hours through the summer when we are working 12-16hrs a day so we don't usually have to fall back on unemployment during Feb-March when we sometimes get slow.

The boys have the option of taking 1.5ot pay if they choose too,and Saturdays is always 1.5 on the check if they choose to work it, but to a man over the last 15yrs they prefer to know what their pay will be every week, all year long. On occasion the odd fella will ask for a certain week or two of their OT pay when they need it for whatever their personal reason is, but that has been very rare.

Works for us, and I haven't had anyone leave in a decade so we can't be treating them that badly.

Well acccording to Oopaa Doo Doo head, OT is expected and is an entitlement.

The Federal Government even let's you use sick leave for an adoption or caring for a sick child

You can use sick leave while you are in labor or recovering from labor. Once you and your baby have recovered, you have to use annual leave.

Yeah, they instituted that AFTER I quit working for the government. I took off before I went into labor, maybe that was my problem? I never did go back.
Maybe your boss lied to you and you didn't know enough to go to the union. This is one reason unions are important, they help you understand the ins and outs of your employment rules and are on your side in negotiations.

Of course now that the Republicans are well on their way to outlawing unions....

A prime reason Republicans want to abolish unions so that a single employee who is being singled out for abuse has no recourse.....If you don't like it: quit

Yeah, they instituted that AFTER I quit working for the government. I took off before I went into labor, maybe that was my problem? I never did go back.
Maybe your boss lied to you and you didn't know enough to go to the union. This is one reason unions are important, they help you understand the ins and outs of your employment rules and are on your side in negotiations.

Of course now that the Republicans are well on their way to outlawing unions....

A prime reason Republicans want to abolish unions so that a single employee who is being singled out for abuse has no recourse.....If you don't like it: quit

Who said(links please) that republicans or anyone else wanted to 'abolish' unions?
The path taken over the last 40 years was not to abolish, but to make it easier for businesses to NOT have to do business with labor collectives.
No one should be FORCED to conduct business with any other business entity. NEVER..
That is a violation of civil rights, unlawful restraint of trade and whole truckload of other stuff.
Funny thing is, many of you pro union thug people express your worship for unions as though these collectives had the majority of working people under their rule. Such is not the case. At their peak, labor collectives represented about 35% of US workers.
That's down to around 7%.
Unions destroyed themselves with their antiquated ways of doing business, mob ties and corrupt managers.

And when that Law passed, companies started handing out management titles like crazy. It had NOTHING to do with who was introducing the law. It had everything to do with how it was going to be abused.

Or didn't you know that? Oh, of course not. You are in a Union.

Dude...I would not shit on the office floor of a union hall.
And you are dead stupid wrong.
Upon passage of this law, my wife's employer reclassified her as non-exempt. She started getting overtime pay..
To comply with the new law, employers have to prove that a worker actually supervised or had subordinates in his or her charge.
What is this week's flavor for your Kool-Aid?

So you have some "hearsay evidence" about your wife?

You also posted you are a NYC Police Officer. That means you are in a UNION. Whether or not you'd take a shit in the Union Hall is of little relevance.

10 Tricks Employers Use To Cheat Workers Out Of Overtime - Careers Articles

The law says that if you are making over $455 a week you can be classified as an executive.

Hearsay? Umm, a legal term. Hearsay is when a witness testifies as to what another person said. This is disallowed.
I stated a FACT...That IS admissible.
Keep trying. You might start gaining on it.

The Federal Government even let's you use sick leave for an adoption or caring for a sick child

You can use sick leave while you are in labor or recovering from labor. Once you and your baby have recovered, you have to use annual leave.

If againsheila did not know her rights as a member of a union, she did not do her due diligence. That is no one's problem but hers.
In the adult world "I didn't know" does not cut it.

Yeah, well, I probably could have fought it and won but I was 9 months pregnant, making very little money and my husband was laid off from work. We didn't have a lot of money and I didn't belong to any union. I worked for the DOD, we didn't have a choice of a union, I don't know, maybe things have changed? I found it interesting that when my mother worked for the DOD, they had maternity leave but that was done away with sometime in the 60's or 70s because the men started demanding "paternity leave". So my mother was able to get 6 weeks of maternity leave when she had my sister but there was no such thing for me and I couldn't even use my 2 weeks sick leave.

If you took off before you went into labor then you were not sick. You would have needed a doctors note saying you were unable to work due to your pregnancy.

However, once you went into labor, had your child and were recuperating. You were entitled to sick leave. You are not entitled to sick leave to care for an infant

If you took off before you went into labor then you were not sick. You would have needed a doctors note saying you were unable to work due to your pregnancy.

However, once you went into labor, had your child and were recuperating. You were entitled to sick leave. You are not entitled to sick leave to care for an infant

Hmm. So at what point does the Family and Medical Leave Act kick in?....For purposes of time off?
After our son was born, my wife got 6 weeks paid leave. She was entitled to 6 more weeks of unpaid leave, which she did not need and subsequently went back to work.

Hmm. So at what point does the Family and Medical Leave Act kick in?....For purposes of time off?
After our son was born, my wife got 6 weeks paid leave. She was entitled to 6 more weeks of unpaid leave, which she did not need and subsequently went back to work.

FMLA can cover up to 12-weeks of unpaid leave during a rolling 12-month period. So the answer to your question is - it depends. Let's say a woman in pregnant, she works through her 40th week and has an induced delivery. If she has not taken any FMLA leave in the preceding 12-months, then she could be out for 12-weeks of protected leave (with a doctors documentation). On the other hand if she had a problem pregnancy and the doctor wrote her out of work at the 36th week and delivery occurred in the 40th week, then that person would have 8-weeks of FLMA (with a doctors documentation) after delivery.

FMLA doesn't preclude someone taking regular sick leave which might not count toward the FMLA time.

People can't just "take time off" and call it FMLA, they will typically need to supply documentation from a doctor showing the period for being out of work.

>>>>

If againsheila did not know her rights as a member of a union, she did not do her due diligence. That is no one's problem but hers.
In the adult world "I didn't know" does not cut it.

I was not a member of a union, there was no union.

Who said(links please) that republicans or anyone else wanted to 'abolish' unions?
The path taken over the last 40 years was not to abolish, but to make it easier for businesses to NOT have to do business with labor collectives.
No one should be FORCED to conduct business with any other business entity. NEVER..
That is a violation of civil rights, unlawful restraint of trade and whole truckload of other stuff.
Funny thing is, many of you pro union thug people express your worship for unions as though these collectives had the majority of working people under their rule. Such is not the case. At their peak, labor collectives represented about 35% of US workers.
Unions destroyed themselves with their antiquated ways of doing business, mob ties and corrupt managers.

Have you missed the entire ruckus in Wisconsin? How about the attacks on Teachers unions?

Which unions have Republicans supported? I will wait while you look it up

I think that kicked in well after she had her children

A conundrum. Againsheila claims she was not permitted to take leave.
Yet, federal workers have this union to back them..Hmmm...seems like that is a lot of hooey.
Perhaps you pro union people need a group hug.

Yeah, well, I probably could have fought it and won but I was 9 months pregnant, making very little money and my husband was laid off from work. We didn't have a lot of money and I didn't belong to any union. I worked for the DOD, we didn't have a choice of a union, I don't know, maybe things have changed? I found it interesting that when my mother worked for the DOD, they had maternity leave but that was done away with sometime in the 60's or 70s because the men started demanding "paternity leave". So my mother was able to get 6 weeks of maternity leave when she had my sister but there was no such thing for me and I couldn't even use my 2 weeks sick leave.
Just a minute...The Family and Medical Leave Act provides for up 12 weeks leave. Not all would be paid, but your employer MUST retain the employee( not necessarily the same job) and have a position once they return to work.
What gives?
Some pieces of the story are being left out.

I suspect this was long before the FMLA was passed.

Are you LYING or are you just STUPID?

Have you missed the entire ruckus in Wisconsin? How about the attacks on Teachers unions?

Only in that dessicated turd that passes for your mind is not supporting something the same as wanting to abolish something. You are too stupid to be permitted to breed.

Attacks? Which attacks might those be? Reining in out of control wage and benefit costs and limiting collective bargaining is an 'attack'?
Please.
Public worker unions have had it very cushy for long enough. Taxes went through the roof and yet the unions demand more. Well, they cooked their goose.
No one is claiming there should not be unions. Just that the unions should be brought under control.
Same thing in Michigan , Ohio and Indiana. Tennessee rewrote its civil service regs as well.
In NJ Gov Christie was vilified for proposing that the teacher's union members increase their pension and benefit contribution to 5% of their wages( pension) and 9% for medical.
He was accused of being an enemy to public education. The Bergen County NJEA President publicly stated she wished Christie would die.
Loo, this is not going away. There is nothing anyone can do to stop it. The taxpayers in these states have had it. States have run out of creative ways to fleece taxpayers to fund this crap. It's OVER.

Forum List

Back