PTO instead of paid OT?

I think we should reduce the work week to 35 hours, and make it mandatory that all employees receive six weeks vacation time on top of five sick days per year. All salaried employees should receive comp time for anything over 35 hours. Last of all, everyone's pay should be doubled.

This ought to get someone riled, lol.

Oh sure. I have an idea for you..Move to France or Germany.

I actually have to give everyone else credit. You were the only one to bite on this.

You kinda gave it away

GOP seeks alternative to overtime pay

WASHINGTON (AP) — It seems like a simple proposition: give employees who work more than 40 hours a week the option of taking paid time off instead of overtime pay.

The choice already exists in the public sector. Federal and state workers can save earned time off and use it weeks or even months later to attend a parent-teacher conference, care for an elderly parent or deal with home repairs.

Republicans in Congress are pushing legislation that would extend that option to the private sector. They say that would bring more flexibility to the workplace and help workers better balance family and career.

Sounds like a great option to me. There's times when I don't need the extra money and times when I really NEED some time off. Being a divorced dad, I miss out on a lot so I think this is a great idea.

You?

As long as it is the option of the employee, and not the option of the employer, I would agree. Seeing as how it is Cantor pushing the bill, I sure as hell would read the language damned carefully.

He wants to copy what Fed emps get, so it would be an option.

but yeah, look for dumb shit, especially pork

People who depend on OT to make ends meet and cannot live on base pay do not need OT, they need a part time job. OT by its very nature is not a permanent paycheck. If it was necessary to have continual OT for the business to operate they don't need workers to work OT. They need to add on another employee.

Base pay isn't a "permanent" paycheck either.

Nothing is permanent. However, the base is expected. The OT is extra. And it's never consistent.

Are you sure the OT isn't "additional" instead of "extra" ? Maybe its "supplemental" instead. The base might not be "expected" either, perhaps we should call it "standard".

WASHINGTON (AP) — It seems like a simple proposition: give employees who work more than 40 hours a week the option of taking paid time off instead of overtime pay.

The choice already exists in the public sector. Federal and state workers can save earned time off and use it weeks or even months later to attend a parent-teacher conference, care for an elderly parent or deal with home repairs.

Republicans in Congress are pushing legislation that would extend that option to the private sector. They say that would bring more flexibility to the workplace and help workers better balance family and career.

Sounds like a great option to me. There's times when I don't need the extra money and times when I really NEED some time off. Being a divorced dad, I miss out on a lot so I think this is a great idea.

You?

As long as it is the option of the employee, and not the option of the employer, I would agree. Seeing as how it is Cantor pushing the bill, I sure as hell would read the language damned carefully.

All I know is it has the potential for being abused and when I worked for the federal government, my boss wouldn't even let me take my sick leave when I took off to have my kid. He said, "You're pregnant, not sick". So if I ever go back to the Federal Government, I get those sick leave hours back, but that's not going to happen. Just another way for them to steal from their employees.

My friend across the street works for a large telco( Not AT&T) he has the option of overtime or comp time. He chooses the time and a half.
I think it should be a choice.
FOr me, comp time would be better. The reason is the overtime tax liability increases dramatically making it almost not worth the effort.

You'd need a high paying job or work a LOT of hours for that to happen.
I make over $30 per hour on OT..I get SMOKED on taxes.

No you don't. YOu can't expect that pay. You make $0 on OT. If your employer pays you for it that's "extra".

When I used to work for other people I never worked for comp time.

If i had to work for someone else I would not work for time. if I work i get paid. Period.

The Repukes want to take that away.

There is a federal labor law that mandates ALL non management employees MUST be paid hourly and are of course eligible for time and a half for all hours worked past 40.
Sounds like a good idea, correct?

Well when this law was proposed, the unions went ballistic. Why? Because it was introduced and sponsored by mostly GOP House Members AND endorsed by Bush 43.
So you tell me when you want to change your bullshit story.

And when that Law passed, companies started handing out management titles like crazy. It had NOTHING to do with who was introducing the law. It had everything to do with how it was going to be abused.

Or didn't you know that? Oh, of course not. You are in a Union.

If you are a full time worker, you should be getting at least four weeks paid holidays per year, as well as overtime should you work longer.

But that's in Australia, of course.

You concern yourself with Perth and Brisbane. We will take care of ourselves.
Your input is unwelcome.
Shut it.

If you are a full time worker, you should be getting at least four weeks paid holidays per year, as well as overtime should you work longer.

But that's in Australia, of course.

Yeah, here in America we work more hours, have a higher productivity rate and get less vacation time and less pay. Something is wrong here.

there is a problem with 'higher productivity'?
Hmm. Perhaps I am mistaken. I was under the impression that the concept of hiring employees was for a business to be more productive..

I think we should reduce the work week to 35 hours, and make it mandatory that all employees receive six weeks vacation time on top of five sick days per year. All salaried employees should receive comp time for anything over 35 hours. Last of all, everyone's pay should be doubled.

This ought to get someone riled, lol.

Oh sure. I have an idea for you..Move to France or Germany.

I actually have to give everyone else credit. You were the only one to bite on this.

THAT is the best you've got to come back with?:clap2:

You'd need a high paying job or work a LOT of hours for that to happen.
I make over $30 per hour on OT..I get SMOKED on taxes.
Bullshit. If that's your OT rate then you are basically making 40K a year. An additional 5 hours a week OT wouldn't be taxed at a rate different than the rate you are already being taxed at. For that to happen, you'd have to start earning over 87K per year in total and even then, only earnings above 87K would be taxed at a higher rate.

I guess you just know it all.
Not going to argue with someone who has a deep dependency on supposition.

There is a federal labor law that mandates ALL non management employees MUST be paid hourly and are of course eligible for time and a half for all hours worked past 40.
Well when this law was proposed, the unions went ballistic. Why? Because it was introduced and sponsored by mostly GOP House Members AND endorsed by Bush 43.
You really should attempt to stop making things up.

Labor Law Compliance
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Coverage (Exempt vs. Non-Exempt -- The Online Wages, Hours and Overtime Pay Resource
http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/fairpay/faq_PF.htm

New overtime rules in the federal Fair Labor Standards Act take effect nationwide on Monday, Aug. 23, 2004. Pennsylvania employers will need to follow both the new federal overtime rules and the overtime requirements of Pennsylvania's Minimum Wage Act. Pennsylvania employers should follow the rule that provides the greater benefit to the employee where there are differences between the two laws.

note the date....2004....Don't fuck with people who know more than you.

You?

All I know is it has the potential for being abused and when I worked for the federal government, my boss wouldn't even let me take my sick leave when I took off to have my kid. He said, "You're pregnant, not sick". So if I ever go back to the Federal Government, I get those sick leave hours back, but that's not going to happen. Just another way for them to steal from their employees.

All you would have needed was documentation written by your prenatal doctor stating you should be not working and that would have taken care of the problem.
You boss was correct, although he could have chosen his words carefully, that pregnancy is a 'sickness'....It is NOT a 'condition'. Not a disability. Nor is it an illness.

And when that Law passed, companies started handing out management titles like crazy. It had NOTHING to do with who was introducing the law. It had everything to do with how it was going to be abused.

Or didn't you know that? Oh, of course not. You are in a Union.

Dude...I would not shit on the office floor of a union hall.
And you are dead stupid wrong.
Upon passage of this law, my wife's employer reclassified her as non-exempt. She started getting overtime pay..
To comply with the new law, employers have to prove that a worker actually supervised or had subordinates in his or her charge.
What is this week's flavor for your Kool-Aid?

Forum List

Back