PTO instead of paid OT?

GOP seeks alternative to overtime pay

WASHINGTON (AP) — It seems like a simple proposition: give employees who work more than 40 hours a week the option of taking paid time off instead of overtime pay.

The choice already exists in the public sector. Federal and state workers can save earned time off and use it weeks or even months later to attend a parent-teacher conference, care for an elderly parent or deal with home repairs.

Republicans in Congress are pushing legislation that would extend that option to the private sector. They say that would bring more flexibility to the workplace and help workers better balance family and career.

Sounds like a great option to me. There's times when I don't need the extra money and times when I really NEED some time off. Being a divorced dad, I miss out on a lot so I think this is a great idea.

You?

My friend across the street works for a large telco( Not AT&T) he has the option of overtime or comp time. He chooses the time and a half.
I think it should be a choice.
FOr me, comp time would be better. The reason is the overtime tax liability increases dramatically making it almost not worth the effort.

You'd need a high paying job or work a LOT of hours for that to happen.

WASHINGTON (AP) — It seems like a simple proposition: give employees who work more than 40 hours a week the option of taking paid time off instead of overtime pay.

The choice already exists in the public sector. Federal and state workers can save earned time off and use it weeks or even months later to attend a parent-teacher conference, care for an elderly parent or deal with home repairs.

Republicans in Congress are pushing legislation that would extend that option to the private sector. They say that would bring more flexibility to the workplace and help workers better balance family and career.

Sounds like a great option to me. There's times when I don't need the extra money and times when I really NEED some time off. Being a divorced dad, I miss out on a lot so I think this is a great idea.

You?

If it's an hour and a half of PTO for over hour of OT, then I'm okay with it. If it's hour for hour match, then forget it. Bosses need to get their tightwad checkbooks out and start paying for their labor.

No, its not time and a half, its an hour for an hour

It is an incentive for employers to pressure their employees to take PTO instead of OT

You would feel pressured to take Paid time off?

Think about what you just blathered.

You'd rather work than get paid to stay home drinking bear.

Is there any reason why any business should operate at the employees convenience? It's always going to be at the employers convenience.

But in this case, the employee is forced to give up OT (time and a half) for an hour somewhere that is of benefit to the employer at regular pay. There is a reason why OT laws were passed. Apparently some people want to do away with them. What's next? Childhood labor?

You?

This has been floated before. The problem is the discretion is totally with the employer, meaning that if you chose to do this, THEY CHOSE WHEN YOU CAN TAKE OFF.

That's entirely unacceptable.

:lol:

So you choose no option. Only ot pay and never a chance to build pto to see your kids soccer game, or just drink a bear and not go anywhere.

Just b/c the employer can say when you can't go.

fucking lame

Democrats and Republicans are always veery leerry of GOP laws when it comes to emplyees and pay.

Shock the "sheep" enough times and even sheep get it: GOP are not ipso facto friends of the laboring classes.

One can a Republican knowing this, but knowing this makes a Republican leery about laws the affect employees.

Democrats and Republicans are always veery leerry of GOP laws when it comes to emplyees and pay.

Shock the "sheep" enough times and even sheep get it: GOP are not ipso facto friends of the laboring classes.

One can a Republican knowing this, but knowing this makes a Republican leery about laws the affect employees.

Repubs; "Would you like to have the choice of pto or over time?"
Liberals; "It's a trap! The Evul reps are out to make have more free time!! The Horror!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

If I kick you in the nuts everyday, it's a good idea to expect a kick in the nuts, but when I hand you a cookie, I just handed you a cookie.

Are they proposing to give 1.5 hours time off for 1 hour OT worked? If not, the benefit goes to the employer.

So you would rather work tons of ot with no break in site except for vacation b/c your employer might save a penny down the road.

You'd rather work than spend time with your family for special events.

Nah, if I were in that position I'd rather get compensated for my time.

Seeing how this is being pushed by the GOP, you KNOW it will be bad for the average American worker. Period.

Has anyone else noted that all the paranoid, knee jerkers are liberals?

I sure have.

seriously, how fucking dumb is it to assume the gop is out to get you?

Damn you sheep are well trained.
Au contraire, we all know they are out to get us. How dumb are you to think they're on your side?

Seeing how this is being pushed by the GOP, you KNOW it will be bad for the average American worker. Period.

Has anyone else noted that all the paranoid, knee jerkers are liberals?

I sure have.

seriously, how fucking dumb is it to assume the gop is out to get you?

Damn you sheep are well trained.
Au contraire, we all know they are out to get us. How dumb are you to think they're on your side?

Elmer Fudd was out to get Bugs Bunny

The gop is not out to get working people, since they make up most of the voters.

When I used to work for other people I never worked for comp time.

If i had to work for someone else I would not work for time. if I work i get paid. Period.
I look at value.
We get raped on taxes for our OT hours. Taking comp time reduces that tax burden. A paid day off in lieu of a heavily taxed 1.5 hours of labor is a better option. IMHO.

People who depend on OT to make ends meet and cannot live on base pay do not need OT, they need a part time job. OT by its very nature is not a permanent paycheck. If it was necessary to have continual OT for the business to operate they don't need workers to work OT. They need to add on another employee.

Base pay isn't a "permanent" paycheck either.

Nothing is permanent. However, the base is expected. The OT is extra. And it's never consistent.

You were salaried? Then this does not apply to your situation. Salaried employees are 'exempt' from all OT compensation.

Actually, in TN it wasn't (at the time, anyway, this was illegal in some aspect - I don't know the details, I had already happily left). The owners got away with it until our CPA found out what they were doing and ratted on them. She was fired the next day. They're still doing it. Terrible, terrible company.

Are you maintaining that in the state of Tennessee, salaried workers ARE eligible for OT pay?

That is between the company and the employee, IMHO...

My company offers comp time... I take advantage of it... it is generally 1 for 1 hours.. but then again, I am salary... I could see a different company policy for hourly employees, but I don't see the company being FORCED to give 1.5 hours.. the extra time off to bank is a luxury in itself... in a job that you only get 2 or 1 weeks vacation, I can see the benefit of banking up a month or more of PTO

My husband has been working at Boeing for more than 25 years. Because of overtime, he gets like almost 4 weeks a year off, but they won't let him take it in a row. IMO, forget it, it's just another take away. They'll say you get to use the time, but they'll come up with a reason why you can't. (I.E. you only get to take that time off when we have nothing for you to do, if we are busy, forget it, it's not for your convenience, it's for the employers convenience.
What happens to the unused time?

Forum List

Back