Public school children forced to pray to Allah

WHy not?

We learned about pretty much every religion my sophomore year. My teacher wasn't preaching to us, he was just teaching us the history side. It was probably the most interesting thing we covered that year.

Did you learn them in school or visiting religious places of worship and being instructed by the leadership of said place of worship? Were you lied to in the process? Were you told that there is only one god and that is the god of the religion you were studying at the moment?

I don't have a problem with learning about other peoples religions in terms of mentioning them as part of a culture. Religion is part of the makeup of the world. I have a huge problem with active prayer and indoctrination. Obviously the school district feels the same as they have issued as statement apologizing for the incident..

How do you think this would have gone over if it was a group muslim children learning about other religions, being brought into a catholic church and given a few wafers to eat? There is no harm in that right? Its only a few wafers and doesn't mean anything. Just kneel down here like everyone else and open your mouth, easy. Or maybe just let them sprinkle a few drops of water on them? I'm sure the muslim parents would be just fine with having their children participating in a different religion because its part of a school field trip.

That being said in my opinion NO religion should be taught in any public schools grades k-12.

I would be suing the last penny out of that school district if my child had been on the field trip. Teaching culture is one thing, teaching religion is a different matter.

I love the subtle brainwashing. Notice that the girls are segregated out.

All you would had to do is, not sign the permission slip. ;)

If you would have watched the entire clip, you would have seen that there was no mention of prayer services on the permission slip.

[youtube]Z7-I9Qp3d4Y&feature[/youtube]

I especially like the part where the Muslim broad is telling the kids how women were allowed to vote in Mohamed's time and that in America women have only been allowed to vote for a hundred years. Is this the revisionist version of Islamic history that is being taught?

Last edited:
Were you asked to pray to their ancestors? No, I thought not. The trip was a lie from start to finish. It was to teach them about culture but instead they were lied to about history and then forced to separate where the boys were invited to pray but the girls were not.....The permission slip was a LIE!!! How many parents do you think would have signed it if the truth were revealed ahead of time? If they were told that the kids would be told that women had the right to vote under Islam but not under our forefathers? (a lie) If they were told that the boys would be encouraged to pray with the Muslim men while the girls would be separated?

I would have no problem with my child going to a Mosque to see the architecture, to learn about their culture, but this was not that...watch the video...

How do you know? The article for one was biased, and didn't go into what the parents were told. Did you see the permission slip? When you find a statement from the parents, let me know.

It is in the video.

I am sure the video is biased, but everything you claim is not covered in the video is there. The thing that got to me was the claim that women were allowed to vote in 7th century Arabia. Men didn't even vote then, so why would women be allowed to vote?
Voting maybe not, but you made me curious so I researched it. (This is from Wikipedia). It sounds like the religion is not quite as demonic as you have portrayed it.

Early reforms

Main article: Early reforms under Islam
During the early reforms under Islam in the 7th century, reforms in women's rights affected marriage, divorce and inheritance.[17] Women were not accorded with such legal status in other cultures, including the West, until centuries later.[18] The Oxford Dictionary of Islam states that the general improvement of the status of Arab women included prohibition of female infanticide and recognizing women's full personhood.[19] "The dowry, previously regarded as a bride-price paid to the father, became a nuptial gift retained by the wife as part of her personal property."[17][20] Under Islamic law, marriage was no longer viewed as a "status" but rather as a "contract", in which the woman's consent was imperative.[17][20][21] "Women were given inheritance rights in a patriarchal society that had previously restricted inheritance to male relatives."[17] Annemarie Schimmel states that "compared to the pre-Islamic position of women, Islamic legislation meant an enormous progress; the woman has the right, at least according to the letter of the law, to administer the wealth she has brought into the family or has earned by her own work."[22] William Montgomery Watt states that Muhammad, in the historical context of his time, can be seen as a figure who testified on behalf of women’s rights and improved things considerably. Watt explains: "At the time Islam began, the conditions of women were terrible - they had no right to own property, were supposed to be the property of the man, and if the man died everything went to his sons." Muhammad, however, by "instituting rights of property ownership, inheritance, education and divorce, gave women certain basic safeguards."[23] Haddad and Esposito state that "Muhammad granted women rights and privileges in the sphere of family life, marriage, education, and economic endeavors, rights that help improve women's status in society."[24]

Wong said the mosque visit took place as part of the sixth grade social studies course, ‘‘Enduring Beliefs in the World Today,’’ which includes segments on Judaism, Hinduism, Christianity, and Islam. As part of the class, students also visit a synagogue, a gospel musical performance, and meet with Hindu religious representatives, she said.

Then this school has a religious crucifiable. Plain and simple.

Studying the Indian culture can be done without studying hindu

Studying Arab culture can be done without studying islam

Studying European culture can be done without studding christianity.

Studying the Jewish culture can be done without studying hebew.

what part of beliefs don't you get, ace? the course title is enduring beliefs, not enduring cultures.

feel free to get all fucking wound up about it, though.

i heard one of the muslims bought cheetos with food stamps
:rofl:

oh, and wtf is a religious crucifiable- is there an english word for that?
:lol:

I'm up in arms that there are no Native American beliefs studied. :evil::evil::evil:

Nope. It's against the law.
No...studying religion as a cultural issue has never been illegal. You just don't like it when the culture studied is one you fear.

You don't have to study any religion to study a culture. Granted religion is part of culture but it is not the only thing that makes up a culture. Religion can and should be left out of any any curriculum.
Works for me...I'm not one of the many that have been crying that God is no longer in the classroom.

However, there is nothing wrong with studying religious culture.

No...studying religion as a cultural issue has never been illegal. You just don't like it when the culture studied is one you fear.

You don't have to study any religion to study a culture. Granted religion is part of culture but it is not the only thing that makes up a culture. Religion can and should be left out of any any curriculum.
Works for me...I'm not one of the many that have been crying that God is no longer in the classroom.

Agreed, however this was not a field trip to study religious culture or to have it preached, taught or participated in. Nor do i think that they were old enough to be studying religious culture more so without express written permission from each parent.

Agreed, however this was not a field trip to study religious culture or to have it preached, taught or participated in. Nor do i think that they were old enough to be studying religious culture more so without express written permission from each parent.
I think the parents are happy with the school and the school's actions. Perhaps you should let them (the parents) do what they want to do...

I think the parents are happy with the school and the school's actions. Perhaps you should let them (the parents) do what they want to do...

I would be interested in what the parents of the students on this field trip had to say.

Take it up with the parents who signed the permission slip, and what they do with their children is simply not your business.

The superintendent of the schools sent out an apology to parents on September 16th. The permission slip, at best, misled parents, thus the apology.
Wellesley Public Schools
40 Kingsbury Street, Wellesley, Massachusetts, 02481-4827

Bella T. Wong
Superintendent of Schools

Ext. 4505
FAX 781.446.6207

Dear Parents:

All sixth graders at the Middle School take a social studies course titled, "Enduring Beliefs and the World Today". A portion of the course focuses on beliefs that are strong today and includes an introduction to Judaism, Christianity, Islam and Hinduism. Each teaching unit is developed similarly for consistency of presentation with the following construct: Stories of Origin and Important People (Early History), Core Beliefs, Holy Writings, Symbols & Objects, Holy Places & Places of Worship, Rituals & Rites of Passage, and Celebrations & Holidays.

The course currently includes a field trip visit to a synagogue and a mosque. Also included is attendance at a gospel music performance and meeting with representatives of the Hindu religion. These activities provide experiences for our students that enhance their understanding of the curriculum. Students only participate in these events with parental permission. Parents are also invited to attend field trips and have served as chaperones for us.

Last May, our students visited a mosque located in Roxbury, Massachusetts. Because it is an active place of worship, it was anticipated that prayer would occur during the students' visit. Due to the number of students in grade six, half ot the students (200) were able to attend one of two scheduled days. On the second scheduled day, a representative of the Mosque told students they were welcome to join in the prayer that was occuring. Five students chose to participate. A parent made a video recording of this. Students are shown to be imitating the act of prayer.

The purpose of the field trip was for students to visit and observe a place of worship. It was not the intent for students to be able to participate in any of the religious practices. The fact that any students were allowed to do so in this case was an error.

I extend my sincere apologies for the error that occured and regret the offense it may have caused. In the future, teachers will provide more clear guidance to students to better define what is allowed to fulfill the purpose of observation. As always, we continue to be open to feedback on experiences we provide for children. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any additional questions.

Respectfully,

Bella T. Wong
http://static.cbslocal.com/station/wbz/wbz/2010/September/Leter.pdf

The letter was totally called for concerning this apparently unintended, but completely unacceptable, situation the public school created.

Last edited:
I hope to God none of the kids sing along to the Gospel songs when they attend the Gospel music performance...I've heard Gospel music before, it is like prayer set to music.

:eek:

The superintendent of the schools sent out an apology to parents on September 16th. The permission slip, at best, misled parents, thus the apology.
Wellesley Public Schools

Bella T. Wong

Ext. 4505
FAX 781.446.6207

Dear Parents:

All sixth graders at the Middle School take a social studies course titled, "Enduring Beliefs and the World Today". A portion of the course focuses on beliefs that are strong today and includes an introduction to Judaism, Christianity, Islam and Hinduism. Each teaching unit is developed similarly for consistency of presentation with the following construct: Stories of Origin and Important People (Early History), Core Beliefs, Holy Writings, Symbols & Objects, Holy Places & Places of Worship, Rituals & Rites of Passage, and Celebrations & Holidays.

The course currently includes a field trip visit to a synagogue and a mosque. Also included is attendance at a gospel music performance and meeting with representatives of the Hindu religion. These activities provide experiences for our students that enhance their understanding of the curriculum. Students only participate in these events with parental permission. Parents are also invited to attend field trips and have served as chaperones for us.

Last May, our students visited a mosque located in Roxbury, Massachusetts. Because it is an active place of worship, it was anticipated that prayer would occur during the students' visit. Due to the number of students in grade six, half ot the students (200) were able to attend one of two scheduled days. On the second scheduled day, a representative of the Mosque told students they were welcome to join in the prayer that was occuring. Five students chose to participate. A parent made a video recording of this. Students are shown to be imitating the act of prayer.

The purpose of the field trip was for studetns to visit and observe a place ofvworship. It was not the intent for students to be able to participate in any of the religious practices. The fact that any students were allowed to do so in this case was an error.

I extend my sincere apologies for the error that occured and regret the offense it may have caused. In the future, teachers will provide more clear guidance to students to better define what is allowed to fulfill the purpose of observation. As always, we continue to be open to feedback on experiences we provide for children. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any additional questions.

Respectfully,

Bella T. Wong

The letter was totally called for concerning this apparently unintended, but completely unacceptable, situation the school created.

Agreed. The letter was warranted and should suffice...however, I'm sure that some parents and other leaders will continue to create a stink such that a head or two will roll.

But what is forgotten in this entire drama are the kids. Does anyone know if the kids that prayed are okay? Have they recovered?

Wellesley Public Schools

Bella T. Wong

Ext. 4505
FAX 781.446.6207

Dear Parents:

The purpose of the field trip was for studetns to visit and observe a place ofvworship. It was not the intent for students to be able to participate in any of the religious practices. The fact that any students were allowed to do so in this case was an error.

Respectfully,

Bella T. Wong

The letter was totally called for concerning this apparently unintended, but completely unacceptable, situation the school created.

Agreed. The letter was warranted and should suffice...however, I'm sure that some parents and other leaders will continue to create a stink such that a head or two will roll.

But what is forgotten in this entire drama are the kids. Does anyone know if the kids that prayed are okay? Have they recovered?
I understand that they are the target of the rightwingloonnewsmedia and are being ridiculed and reviled as the spawn of satin.

If this had been at a cathedral, I have a strong suspicion that this thread would look very different.
Not to me. The demonization of Islam has made me realize that exposure to a few prayers or a religious service doesn't harm anyone.

I am still against anyone forcing children to pray, however.

A question if I may to all the parents of daughters.

Would YOU be okay with your daughter being segregated and asked to leave the prayer room, knowing the Muslim religion treats woman as second class citizens?

Forum List

Back