Puerto Rican food

I am on a quest. I want to make Habichuelas Guisadas (Puerto Rican Stewed Beans)

and this:

I am looking for a main dish and a tried and true sofrito. I think I have one to use. Also, I'm going to take all that on a six hour drive so it has to stay presentable until I can nuke it at my destination. I can't cook there. I can reheat it in the microwave.

Got one?
For me personally, there is no quicker way to ruin a dish than to put peas in it. Peas will overpower the taste of anything it is mixed with.
Like........green peas? or pigeon peas? Pigeon peas are beans.

I would leave out green peas in anything. Deceptive little mofos. They're pretty and green and round and completely disgusting when squished.
Ah, i have never had these beans you speak of. What do they taste like?
Sortof like Lima beans....which tastes pretty good if you prepare them right.
Hmmmm.....not promising.

I remember delivering Avon to pr houses omg smelled like a concentrated fart of 50 people pressure cooker secured inside of the walls. As soon as you open the door, so bad.

How terrible for you that they didn't eat Spaghettios three meals a day.

I remember delivering Avon to pr houses omg smelled like a concentrated fart of 50 people pressure cooker secured inside of the walls. As soon as you open the door, so bad.

I had a traditional American family stay at home mom, labor father , she cooked 3 hot meals a day always fresh peeled mash potatoes. Our house didnt smell like a 3rd world hell hole

And anyone tell me Latin America is poor try cooking a Latin dish, it’s very expensive.

Sorry, when I get hungry for Hispanic food, I just aim my car for the drive thru at the local Taco Bell.
Every country has it's own thing. Like chorizo from Spain is different from Mexico and is way different form Ecuador.

I had a traditional American family stay at home mom, labor father , she cooked 3 hot meals a day always fresh peeled mash potatoes. Our house didnt smell like a 3rd world hell hole
I'm not buying any of that.

Let me know the recipe you go with; I do a lot of the cooking and would like something different.....East European basics quite a bit of the time. SIMPLE fare. :bowdown::bowdown:

Greg

sofrito consists of garlic, onion, peppers, and tomatoes cooked in olive oil....................................interesting; Mother made a "Spanish Chicken" with those as the basics.....actually most of my east Euro dishes have the same basics; I just add Zucchinis and whatever to the mix. Peppers are capsicums, no?? For the oil I tend to use sunflower; not as heavy and I like the flavour.

Greg

sofrito consists of garlic, onion, peppers, and tomatoes....................................interesting; Mother made a "Spanish Chicken" with those as the basics.....actually most of my east Euro dishes have the same basics; I just add Zucchinis and whatever to the mix. Peppers are capsicums, no??

Greg
Yep, capsicums.

Italy has one, too. Everybody has their own version of it.

If all it is is t looks like plain ol' red beans and rice-which I like with the base then I've cooked that before. I use one of those electric pressure cookers and it turns out very nice. I usually do two cycles with the rice added on the second one.

I am interested to see what you do with it. (I know; I usually add a meat on the first cycle; bolar beef or anything else that's around; sometimes rump...not lately rump; price has gone through the roof)).

Greg

I have got all kinds of problems solved with this nonsense. My kid is coming home for a weekend--no having to transport. I'm going to make this: Chicharrones De Pollo (Puerto Rican Fried Chicken)

and a tres leche cake because I want one. I couldn't find a small jar of manzanilla olives that didn't have anything in them so I wound up with a gallon of manzanilla green olives. Yeppers. One gallon of green olives.

I got a new Cuisinart 8 cup food processor to make my sofrito AND my caldero. That caldero is really lightweight and feels kind of cheap. I just "know" I'm going to be scrubbing that puppy out. Next Thursday I will be eating real food.
Aramco Aluminum Caldero - La Bodeguita

Last edited:

Forum List

Back