Putin's New Year Address 2015: Reunification with Crimea landmark in national history

Hey, Hipeter, unless you haven't noticed Sonc actually lives in Moscow, don't you think he may know a little bit better than you do, if Putin is a dictator or a great man??
I wonder how much you really know about Russia and Putin...
Into logical fallacies today because there are quite a few there. My cat could climb trees better than me, that doesn't make it a physics professor.

With a leader like Putin to guide them. I expect Russia to become an economic and military powerhouse. ..... :cool:
When? He has been the dictator for the past 14 years.
He is popularly elected, so Russia is more like a 'tyranny of the majority' as the majority like Putin, and 'liberals' get the short end of the stick i.e. pretty much like Turkey as both countries are religiously conservative and ruled by authoritarian leaders.

With a leader like Putin to guide them. I expect Russia to become an economic and military powerhouse. ..... :cool:
He is popularly elected, so Russia is more like a 'tyranny of the majority' as the majority like Putin, and 'liberals' get the short end of the stick i.e. pretty much like Turkey as both countries are religiously conservative and ruled by authoritarian leaders.
Ironic to see many of the lines used by american "conservatives"(I would call them neo-cons) to attack Putin are employed by the liberal opposition in Russia.

This is not a surprise though really. As Neo-Conservatism is born out of Trotskyism, which is an ideology historically antagonistic to the Russian nation even before Stalin's Russia, but also under the Tsar's Russia. I think neo-conservatives, many of who are jewish and whose ancestors were victims of the Tsar's pograms in the 1800s, have a historical resentment towards Russia. They view Putin, whose has led Russia out of the Soviet system, but also away from the rampant pirate capitalism and globalist liberalism of the 90s, as implicitly antagonistic towards them by being explicitly pro-Christian and Pro-Russian. They view him as trying to bring Russia in part back to the days of the Tsar. They might not be entirely wrong in that Putin admires old pre-soviet Russia in many ways, but I think they are incorrect in suggesting he is more or less implicitly anti-semitic.

Essentially, American foreign policy towards Russia at this point is not guided by rational geopolitical interests(right now, due to isolating Russia, they are moving towards our rival China), but rather by irrational tribal/ancestral hatreds and liberal idealism.

Ironic to see many of the lines used by american "conservatives"(I would call them neo-cons) to attack Putin are employed by the liberal opposition in Russia.

This is not a surprise though really. As Neo-Conservatism is born out of Trotskyism, which is an ideology historically antagonistic to the Russian nation even before Stalin's Russia, but also under the Tsar's Russia. I think neo-conservatives, many of who are jewish and whose ancestors were victims of the Tsar's pograms in the 1800s, have a historical resentment towards Russia. They view Putin, whose has led Russia out of the Soviet system, but also away from the rampant pirate capitalism and globalist liberalism of the 90s, as implicitly antagonistic towards them by being explicitly pro-Christian and Pro-Russian. They view him as trying to bring Russia in part back to the days of the Tsar. They might not be entirely wrong in that Putin admires old pre-soviet Russia in many ways, but I think they are incorrect in suggesting he is more or less implicitly anti-semitic.

Essentially, American foreign policy towards Russia at this point is not guided by rational geopolitical interests(right now, due to isolating Russia, they are moving towards our rival China), but rather by irrational tribal/ancestral hatreds and liberal idealism.
The US had its chance in the 1990s to befriend Russia, but instead it put up economic and political roadblocks. By the time Putin came to power, he very much represented the views of most Russians.

That said, Russia has always seen itself as a guardian of the slavs, and holds distrust due to the US led intervention in Kosovo and against Serbia.

American foreign policy was bad towards Russia in the 1990s, and mistakes back then led to what happened in Ukraine and Crimea now.

From what I understand it, the reasons for sanctions on Russia are:

- Treatment of LGBT. Shouldn't we put sanctions on Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait, or Malaysia first?
- Not getting all of Ukraine into the western sphere. Because a part of Ukraine opposed the Kiev side of the country in leaving Russian influence.
- Giving arms, weapons and training to pro Russian groups. Anyone remember the US arming the Taliban against the USSR to overthrow the secular government?
- Taking Crimea and persecuting Tatars. Don't tell the native Americans or the Hawaiians, they might want their lands back too.
- Plotting to invade Europe. Didn't we plot to invade the USSR in the 1940s under Operation unthinkable'?
- Russia might support Russian separatists in regions with majority Russian populations.
- Putin is authoritarian and religiously conservative. And Pinochet wasn't, how about Franco, and don't forget Edrogan in Turkey or all our Middle Eastern allies.
- Russia is against 'our interests'. Why do they have to agree with the west, do people believe WW3 can be achieved without nuclear annihilation.

The US had its chance in the 1990s to befriend Russia, but instead it put up economic and political roadblocks. By the time Putin came to power, he very much represented the views of most Russians.

That said, Russia has always seen itself as a guardian of the slavs, and holds distrust due to the US led intervention in Kosovo and against Serbia.

American foreign policy was bad towards Russia in the 1990s, and mistakes back then led to what happened in Ukraine and Crimea now.

From what I understand it, the reasons for sanctions on Russia are:

- Treatment of LGBT. Shouldn't we put sanctions on Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait, or Malaysia first?
- Not getting all of Ukraine into the western sphere. Because a part of Ukraine opposed the Kiev side of the country in leaving Russian influence.
- Giving arms, weapons and training to pro Russian groups. Anyone remember the US arming the Taliban against the USSR to overthrow the secular government?
- Taking Crimea and persecuting Tatars. Don't tell the native Americans or the Hawaiians, they might want their lands back too.
- Plotting to invade Europe. Didn't we plot to invade the USSR in the 1940s under Operation unthinkable'?
- Russia might support Russian separatists in regions with majority Russian populations.
- Putin is authoritarian and religiously conservative. And Pinochet wasn't, how about Franco, and don't forget Edrogan in Turkey or all our Middle Eastern allies.
- Russia is against 'our interests'. Why do they have to agree with the west, do people believe WW3 can be achieved without nuclear annihilation.
I agree, our foreign policy certainly is incoherent and double standards clearly exist. I think they also make some of those arguments not because they are accurate, but because they are cheap and easy arguments to make. They aren't used because they are accurate or because they themselves believe them, but they are good lines of argument to use to demonize our geopolitical "rivals" in the current liberal zeitgeist. Not only is our foreign policy incoherent, but not advantageous in my view at least.

Forum List

Back