Quakers to make reparation for slave trade and colonialism

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
At their annual gathering last weekend, Quakers asked all their meetings and trustees to examine their resources and consider how to make reparations by financial and other means.

...Quakers were led to this decision after hearing powerful evidence about Lancaster Quakers in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, who profited from the enslavement of people. They also heard about the personal experience of racism of some of their own members.

The epistle is in the link and there is no indication of an actual plan. The key word here is "practical".

So...what? They are going to dig up some slave graves somewhere as if they could find them - and throw a few coins in the graves and cover them back up?
Exactly how would you go about paying reparation to people who died 200 years ago??

So...what? They are going to dig up some slave graves somewhere as if they could find them - and throw a few coins in the graves and cover them back up?
Exactly how would you go about paying reparation to people who died 200 years ago??

So we shouldn't be held accountable for the sins of our fathers?

If the slaves were still alive, yes.

So you base your positions on some sort of science fiction position?

Just so I'm clear, if your great great grandpa owned slaves and one just happened to still be alive, you would owe them something?

No.
Obviously not.
How would you go about doing that?
And it wasn't our "fathers".
The number of Americans whose ancestry had slaves is pretty much impossible to know. The vast majority of American citizens walking around have no slaves in their lineage. At least not in America.
Take me. 100% white.
My DNA states my ancestry overwhelmingly comes from Northern Europe. Escaping persecution they moved into what is now Germany. My great, great, great, great grandfather came to Virginia from Germany. On my mothers side, they also came from Germany into NY and then settled in Indiana. My Virginian family were small farmers, highly unlikely to have owned slaves. Slaves were expensive. Then they became cabinet makers, also highly unlikely to have had slaves.
On my mothers side... no slavery at all. They settled in a state that banned slavery in 1787. They arrived in the early 1800s.

So only because I am white I should pay reperations to someone? And who? Black people? Almost half the black population in America have aboslutely no slavery in their history, not in America. So they should RECEIVE cash because they are black??

At their annual gathering last weekend, Quakers asked all their meetings and trustees to examine their resources and consider how to make reparations by financial and other means.

...Quakers were led to this decision after hearing powerful evidence about Lancaster Quakers in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, who profited from the enslavement of people. They also heard about the personal experience of racism of some of their own members.

The epistle is in the link and there is no indication of an actual plan. The key word here is "practical".

Quakers, who opposed and fought against slavery from the start,

What idiocy.

So you base your positions on some sort of science fiction position?

Not sure what the science fiction is all about.
Just so I'm clear, if your great great grandpa owned slaves and one just happened to still be alive, you would owe them something?

Well, besides the fact that my great-great-great grandpa (can’t trace back that far) was most likely an impoverished Jew living in a small East European village, IF he owned slaves and one was still alive….yes, I would owe him something.

But that of course is impossible. A more realistic question is if my grandfather owned slaves, and one was still alive, yes….I’d owe him something. Just like the grandchildren of Nazis owe Holocaust survivors. But there are very few remaining alive, and within 20 years, there will be none.

No.
Obviously not.
How would you go about doing that?
And it wasn't our "fathers".
The number of Americans whose ancestry had slaves is pretty much impossible to know. The vast majority of American citizens walking around have no slaves in their lineage. At least not in America.
Take me. 100% white.
My DNA states my ancestry overwhelmingly comes from Northern Europe. Escaping persecution they moved into what is now Germany. My great, great, great, great grandfather came to Virginia from Germany. On my mothers side, they also came from Germany into NY and then settled in Indiana. My Virginian family were small farmers, highly unlikely to have owned slaves. Slaves were expensive. Then they became cabinet makers, also highly unlikely to have had slaves.
On my mothers side... no slavery at all. They settled in a state that banned slavery in 1787. They arrived in the early 1800s.

So only because I am white I should pay reperations to someone? And who? Black people? Almost half the black population in America have aboslutely no slavery in their history, not in America. So they should RECEIVE cash because they are black??

First I must note your contradictory argument. You state it's impossible to determine if one's ancestors owned slaves but then you note how you have determined yours did not. Odd that.

Second. Most people had absolutely nothing to do with what the country did to the Japanese during WWII but the country made reparation's for what was done.

This alone does not make for the argument but I'm just noting that the precedent is there.

Redress and Reparations for Japanese American Incarceration | The National WWII Museum | New Orleans

So lastly, I'm going to re ask my question. A person should not be held accountable for the sins of their fathers?

No. Slavery was everywhere in the world in 1700 for cripes sakes

Ask anyone if they would donate their personal funds for reparations and see how many laugh

Go ahead and pay, God bless ya

Not sure what the science fiction is all about.

Well, besides the fact that my great-great-great grandpa (can’t trace back that far) was most likely an impoverished Jew living in a small East European village, IF he owned slaves and one was still alive….yes, I would owe him something.

But that of course is impossible. A more realistic question is if my grandfather owned slaves, and one was still alive, yes….I’d owe him something. Just like the grandchildren of Nazis owe Holocaust survivors. But there are very few remaining alive, and within 20 years, there will be none.

No, the country owed it. Your family may not have even been in Germany during WWII but if you live in Germany, you pay it.

First I must note your contradictory argument. You state it's impossible to determine if one's ancestors owned slaves but then you note how you have determined yours did not. Odd that.

Second. Most people had absolutely nothing to do with what the country did to the Japanese during WWII but the country made reparation's for what was done.

This alone does not make for the argument but I'm just noting that the precedent is there.

Redress and Reparations for Japanese American Incarceration | The National WWII Museum | New Orleans

So lastly, I'm going to re ask my question. A person should not be held accountable for the sins of their fathers?
The question isn’t sins of the fathers, or even the grandfathers. Slavery is many generations removed, and blacks have been getting chances to become doctors, lawyers, MBAs, even “regular” college-level professions simply due to skin color - for two generations - and that’s reparations enough.

C214-FD2-B-B881-4315-95-B8-16116832-E2-D2.gif

No. Slavery was everywhere in the world in 1700 for cripes sakes

Ask anyone if they would donate their personal funds for reparations and see how many laugh

Go ahead and pay, God bless ya

I'm Quaker and this has surprised me as they have long been against slavery but if you actually read the article you will note where they have discovered some did own slaves.

Forum List

Back