Question: If someone leaves the Christian church & becomes an atheist, is he or she still a Chr...?

I heard someone say once a member of a religion always a member of that religion but if someone leaves the Christian church and becomes an atheist, is that person still a Christian? Or if a Christian converts to Islam is that person still a Christian?...:)

-

:lol: No.Technically they would be an "anti-Christ" according to 1 John. Most people think of THE anti-Christ as if it was a single person and it is usually related to Revelation. In reality Revelation never says a word about an "anti-Christ". That is in 1 John and it refers to Christians who have left the church and denounced Christianity.so there are several anti-Christs....thousands of them

If they become an atheist they don't believe in God, if they convert to Islam they are now Islam....neither compatible to Christian belief and faith

Actually... Islam and Christianity are extremely compatible.

Christians and Muslims worship the same supreme God, tell many of the same stories, revere many of the same people, share similar mythology, they both believe in Heaven and Hell and Celestial beings and Infernal beings, they both believe in a Devil/ Shaaitan, etc.

They can both be used for mass manipulation, indoctrination, exploitation of the masses, social control, etc... and to justify war and violence and murder and torture and conquest... but they can also both be used to embrace a life of peace, love, compassion, respect, and virtue. It's up to the individual do do what you Will, and believe what you Will.

Islam and Christianity are both Abrahamism, and they can be greatly compatible with each other... if it is your Will to open your eyes.

Christianity and Islam are not in the least compatible.

If they become an atheist they don't believe in God, if they convert to Islam they are now Islam....neither compatible to Christian belief and faith

Christians and Muslims worship the same supreme God, tell many of the same stories, revere many of the same people, share similar mythology, they both believe in Heaven and Hell and Celestial beings and Infernal beings, they both believe in a Devil/ Shaaitan, etc.

They can both be used for mass manipulation, indoctrination, exploitation of the masses, social control, etc... and to justify war and violence and murder and torture and conquest... but they can also both be used to embrace a life of peace, love, compassion, respect, and virtue. It's up to the individual do do what you Will, and believe what you Will.

Islam and Christianity are both Abrahamism, and they can be greatly compatible with each other... if it is your Will to open your eyes.

Well tat is all true, but there is one big fly in the ointment that makes them totally incompatible. Jews and Christians believe the promise and the Covenant goes through Isaac and Muslims believe it goes through Ishmael. Both have a legitimate argument actually so both can correctly argue that the promised land belongs to them. They have been fighting about it ever since and will continue to do so until humans become extinct. So yes there are similarities, but that single element makes them totally incompatible.

I heard someone say once a member of a religion always a member of that religion but if someone leaves the Christian church and becomes an atheist, is that person still a Christian? Or if a Christian converts to Islam is that person still a Christian?...:)

-
I think what you're referring to is, "Once in grace, always in grace."

Exactly; you can leave God but God doesn't leave you.

Well tat is all true, but there is one big fly in the ointment that makes them totally incompatible. Jews and Christians believe the promise and the Covenant goes through Isaac and Muslims believe it goes through Ishmael. Both have a legitimate argument actually so both can correctly argue that the promised land belongs to them. They have been fighting about it ever since and will continue to do so until humans become extinct. So yes there are similarities, but that single element makes them totally incompatible.

Not to those who choose to believe that both religions are of God, and that the "promised land" belongs to all who are of God

Not to those who choose to believe that both religions are of God, and that the "promised land" belongs to all who are of God

You're "choosing to believe" something that isn't true.....why? Practicing a religion doesn't make a person, "of God."

It depends on the denomination; one or two denominations of Christianity believe that once baptized you are a Christian forever, others do not.

That belief would contradict the Bible wouldn't it? There's the life of Judas Iscariot (who left the church as it were haha,) and there's this Bible Scripture:

John 6:66
(66)From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.

-

You might be right. But that line could be taken to simply mean those followers of Jesus only physically stopped following him, it could be argued that they were still Christian.
Judas Escariot (btw, he was innocent) is condemned by the Church, but I don't recall him being directly condemned by Jesus.

It depends on the denomination; one or two denominations of Christianity believe that once baptized you are a Christian forever, others do not.

That belief would contradict the Bible wouldn't it? There's the life of Judas Iscariot (who left the church as it were haha,) and there's this Bible Scripture:

(66)From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.

-

You might be right. But that line could be taken to simply mean those followers of Jesus only physically stopped following him, it could be argued that they were still Christian.
Judas Escariot (btw, he was innocent) is condemned by the Church, but I don't recall him being directly condemned by Jesus.

Greetings brother. Actually Acts says that the Holy Ghost condemned Judas in the Book of Psalms. Acts 1:20, KJV says:

"For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take."

But Judas' life does prove that people can "leave the church." About John 6:66, here is a Scripture from the book of Luke that might shed some light on people who "turn back" (as John 6:66 says:)

"(61)And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house. (62)And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." Luke 9:61-62

Those denominations who say, once a Christian always a Christian, what are their official teachings about the word "apostate?" One might say that that word itself proves that people apostatize.

-

-

Innocent? What do you mean?

Long story, but even without the Gospel of Judas the common Biblical interpretation doesn't make sense. The "30 pieces of silver" thing is a red-herring, that story comes down to either a mistranslation or a deliberate error. 30 pieces of silver would be money paid in taxes not money received by Judas. The Gospel of Judas matches up pretty well with what would be a more realistic scenario; Judas as Jesus' most trusted companion, Jesus sends him to arrange for Jesus to meet with the Jewish Sanhedrin (Jewish leaders/elders).

Long story, but even without the Gospel of Judas the common Biblical interpretation doesn't make sense. The "30 pieces of silver" thing is a red-herring, that story comes down to either a mistranslation or a deliberate error. 30 pieces of silver would be money paid in taxes not money received by Judas. The Gospel of Judas matches up pretty well with what would be a more realistic scenario; Judas as Jesus' most trusted companion, Jesus sends him to arrange for Jesus to meet with the Jewish Sanhedrin (Jewish leaders/elders).
There is no Gospel of Judas and what you're describing sounds more like something cooked up for The DaVinci Code. Judas' role as disciple, thief and traitor make sense and fulfill prophesy.

There is no Gospel of Judas and what you're describing sounds more like something cooked up for The DaVinci Code. Judas' role as disciple, thief and traitor make sense and fulfill prophesy.

It's not in The Bible, it's one of the Gnostic Gospels, but from the point of view of a historian it's more than old enough to be considered as valid as any other part of the New Testament. Christianity existed as a religion before the New Testament was compiled, so for many Christians in the earliest days, the Gospel of Judas would have been part of their teaching.

Know many Jews and Muslims that hold that opinion? Yeah...me either. ;) There is a reason for it, the land is sacrosanct. It is promised by God to his chosen people. It is, by Abrahamic tradition, the place where one if free to worship in harmony with God according to the will of God. Thus anyone else in possession of the Holy Land is an affront to God. This is precisely why the Jews had an issue with Roman occupation, Babylonian occupation...what led to the Maccabean revolt, etc. This was precisely the role of the Messiah...to rid the Holy Land of unholy invaders and restore the line of David to the throne. But who are God's chosen people? The Jews or the Muslims? If you are a Jew or a Christian you have one opinion because you believe that God's chosen people are the descendants of Isaac. If you are a Muslim, you believe God's chosen people are the descendants of Ishmael and occupation by anyone else is an affront to God and the Covenant.

So holding the opinion that the Holy Land is available to everyone is not consistent with Jewish or Islamic doctrine. Indeed it stands in direct contrast to it.

-

REALLY?!?!?!

"23 Jesus replied, “The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. 24 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.”

25 Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, “Surely you don’t mean me, Rabbi?”

Jesus answered, “You have said so.”
(Matt 26:23-25, NIV)

Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 26 - New International Version

"17 When evening came, Jesus arrived with the Twelve. 18 While they were reclining at the table eating, he said, “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me—one who is eating with me.”

19 They were saddened, and one by one they said to him, “Surely you don’t mean me?”

20 “It is one of the Twelve,” he replied, “one who dips bread into the bowl with me. 21 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.”"
(Mark 14: 17-20, NIV)

Bible Gateway passage: Mark 14 - New International Version

"21 But the hand of him who is going to betray me is with mine on the table. 22 The Son of Man will go as it has been decreed. But woe to that man who betrays him!” (Luke 22: 21-22, NIV)

Bible Gateway passage: Luke 22 - New International Version

I think perhaps you should read your Bible again.

-

REALLY?!?!?!

"23 Jesus replied, “The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. 24 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.”

25 Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, “Surely you don’t mean me, Rabbi?”

"17 When evening came, Jesus arrived with the Twelve. 18 While they were reclining at the table eating, he said, “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me—one who is eating with me.”

19 They were saddened, and one by one they said to him, “Surely you don’t mean me?”

20 “It is one of the Twelve,” he replied, “one who dips bread into the bowl with me. 21 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.”"

"21 But the hand of him who is going to betray me is with mine on the table. 22 The Son of Man will go as it has been decreed. But woe to that man who betrays him!” (Luke 22: 21-22, NIV)

So was Judas still a Christian after he betrayed Jesus? :)

-

30 pieces of silver was the legal price for buying a slave according to Zechariah 11:12-13. There is a symbolic point being made by the authors of Mark and the Q-gospel. Jesus is being ridiculed by the Sadducees and humbled. Remember, the humbled will become exalted according to scripture. The authors use 30 pieces of silver to make the point that Jesus was being disrespected and humbled, equal in value to a slave...then He became exalted in His resurrection. This is a literary device that readers in the the 1st and 2nd Centuries AD would have seen immediately and recognized the significance.

-

Leaving something means you are 'leaving' it. You aren't interested anymore. If the place burned down you'd say 'that's a shame' and then switch channels. If another religion's god showed up you'd say 'see, I knew something was up'.

On the other hand watch a few of the documentaries where people tried to leave Scientology. They'll cling to you like leeches on a hairless cat.

-

REALLY?!?!?!

-

No but the reason why is not because of the betrayal but because of the time line and definitions. By definition a Christian is someone who believes a certain set of things, but one of them is a belief in the resurrection of Jesus. This was established at the First Council of Nicea and by that definition it means that, according to scripture, the first "Christian" was Mary Magdalene because although the gospels differ regarding who was present when Jesus' tomb was found empty, Mary was always among them. Thus, Magdalene's real significance is not all that Da Vinci Code bullshit, for which there is no evidence at all, but that it was her who may have been the first believer in the resurrection and thus the first "Christian" as we define it.

Since scripture tells us that Judas either hanged himself or fell off a cliff prior to the resurrection or Jesus revealing Himself, then Judas could not be a Christian because he was dead before belief in the resurrection began to take root. Thus Judas could not have "remained a Christian" because Christianity did not exist until he was dead. So he never was one to begin with.

Beyond that, you have to keep in mind that the apostles did not believe they were starting a new religion. They believed they were guiding Judaism into the next (and final phase) according to the Messianic prophecies. This is spelled out quite clearly in the genealogy outlined in Matthew 1 wherein every 14 generations something significant happens that represents a radical change in the course of Judaism.

It is written in Luke 17: 4 "Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying 'I repent,' you must forgive them." Thus we can argue that had Judas repented and asked forgiveness he would have been forgiven, but he died (either by accident or by his own hand) prior to that and so.....well...tough titty for him. ;)

Last edited:

-

REALLY?!?!?!

-

No but the reason why is not because of the betrayal but because of the time line and definitions. By definition a Christian is someone who believes a certain set of things, but one of them is a belief in the resurrection of Jesus. This was established at the First Council of Nicea and by that definition it means that, according to scripture, the first "Christian" was Mary Magdalene because although the gospels differ regarding who was present when Jesus' tomb was found empty, Mary was always among them. Thus, Magdalene's real significance is not all that Da Vinci Code bullshit, for which there is no evidence at all, but that it was her who may have been the first believer in the resurrection and thus the first "Christian" as we define it.

Since scripture tells us that Judas either hanged himself or fell off a cliff prior to the resurrection or Jesus revealing Himself, then Judas could not be a Christian because he was dead before belief in the resurrection began to take root. Thus Judas could not have "remained a Christian" because Christianity did not exist until he was dead. So he never was one to begin with.

Beyond that, you have to keep in mind that the apostles did not believe they were starting a new religion. They believed they were guiding Judaism into the next (and final phase) according to the Messianic prophecies. This is spelled out quite clearly in the genealogy outlined in Matthew 1 wherein every 14 generations something significant happens that represents a radical change in the course of Judaism.

It is written in Luke 17: 4 "Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying 'I repent,' you must forgive them." Thus we can argue that had Judas repented and asked forgiveness he would have been forgiven, but he died (either by accident or by his own hand) prior to that and so.....well...tough titty for him. ;)

Perhaps another way to word it is, was Judas still a believer in Jesus after betraying him? If not, his life proves that people can disbelieve after their believing.

-

Hi :) ... You sound like you are saying that every person is a God unto his or her self, or is worthy of his or her own worship in and of his/her self. If you are saying that, would you be able to offer a proof of that?

A1977

-

Forum List

Back