Question that I'm pretty sure my study guide is giving me the wrong answer. Little help?

sakinago

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2012
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I've been over it a few times and still getting the same answer. Anyway see what you guys come up with, here's the question.

A women is shopping at a pet store to select fish for her aquarium from among the following species: j, k, l, m, n, o, and p. For each of the seven species the store has several fish available. She makes her selection in a manner consistent with the following conditions

If she selects one or more k, then she does not select any o.
If she selects one or more m, then she does not select any n
If she selects one or more m, she selects at least one o
If she selects one or more n, then she selects at least one o
If she selects one or more o, then she selects at least one p
If she selects one or more p, she selects at least one o
If she selects any o at all, then she selects at least 2 o

If she selects at least one fish for her aquarium, then which one of the following lists the minimum and maximum possible numbers, respectively, of different species of fish she selects

A. 1, 4
B. 1, 5
C. 1, 6
D. 2, 5
E. 2, 6

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I've been over it a few times and still getting the same answer. Anyway see what you guys come up with, here's the question.

A women is shopping at a pet store to select fish for her aquarium from among the following species: j, k, l, m, n, o, and p. For each of the seven species the store has several fish available. She makes her selection in a manner consistent with the following conditions

If she selects at least one fish for her aquarium, then which one of the following lists the minimum and maximum possible numbers, respectively, of different species of fish she selects

A. 1, 4
B. 1, 5
C. 1, 6
D. 2, 5
E. 2, 6
Please tweet this to Trump

A. 1, 4
B. 1, 5
C. 1, 6
D. 2, 5
E. 2, 6
Please tweet this to Trump

A. I posted this on general discussion because it's not political

B. I don't have twitter

C. This wouldn't fit on twitter

D. Do you have an answer

I think the answer is B. 1,5.

The min is 1 because she is not required to select any other species if she selects K.

The maximum is 5 because she can't have k and o together. She can also not have m and n together. I see no other conditional statements that affect (limit) the max.

Last edited:

The min is 1 because she is not required to select any other species if she selects K.

The maximum is 5 because she can't have k and o together. She can also not have m and n together. I see no other conditional statements that affect (limit) the max.
She can also have a min of 1 species by selecting either j or l as they don't have conditional statements.

Yea that's what I got, the study guide is saying 1 and 6.

And the min is one, but it could be just k or l too, since those are wild cards.

And this is for the lsats.

And I saw your other reply a little late

The study guide is incorrect for the question in your OP. 6 would require having both k and o together or having m and n together.

1 and 6 IS the correct answer.
The one is obvious, either 1 j, k or l.
The max occurs by taking m, which requires an o, which requires a p, which requires a second o, and finally a j and l, which have no additional requirements.

Last edited:
The max occurs by taking m, which requires an n, which requires an o, which requires a p, which requires a second o, and finally a j, which has no additional requirements.

The max occurs by taking m, which requires an n, which requires an o, which requires a p, which requires a second o, and finally a j, which has no additional requirements.
That's right, but she can select an l. I corrected my answer.

What is your corrected answer?

A. 1, 4
B. 1, 5
C. 1, 6
D. 2, 5
E. 2, 6
This is a puzzle.

If you like puzzles, go into law or taxation. They are puzzles too.

1 and 6.
1 m, 2 o's, 1 p, 1 j, and 1 l.

1 and 6.
1 m, 2 o's, 1 p, 1 j, and 1 l.
2 o's counts for only one species.

The max occurs by taking m, which requires an o, which requires a p, which requires a second o, and finally a j and l, which have no additional requirements.

It's says species though, not number of fish

A. 1, 4
B. 1, 5
C. 1, 6
D. 2, 5
E. 2, 6
This is a puzzle.

If you like puzzles, go into law or taxation. They are puzzles too.

It's for the lsats

And there is no limit through the conditional statements on the number of fish. She could buy a thousand j's if the store has them available.

2 o's counts for only one species.
Read it again.

Forum List

Back