Rand Paul is Filibustering John Brennan

The Senate has a recent history of wasting a lot of time and not getting things done.

I also have enough sense to know that people's opinions on what a President should be allowed to do are highly influenced by the President being Obama. Obama isn't going to be President forever and it would be stupid to put restrictions on the President that you wouldn't want for any President. I didn't like Bush, but I wouldn't have objected to him shooting an airliner down to protect the Capitol or WH.

But is it a waste of time to ask this question? I don't think so.

Since when does a question require a filibuster?
That is how they do it in D.C.

They hold legislation hostage until they get the answers they want, and then run off to the media to scream, "See how bad the other side is!?!"

The democrats were masters of it when Bush was President.

The truth is, this isn't even all that much of a big deal. The White House simply has to state that they do not believe they have the power to kill Americans who pose no threat to the United States without due process.

Just how hard is that to do for this President? Any other would have said, "Yes, of course its unConstitutional."

No, but he did stop the filibuster. Rand was more interested in making a point and drawing attention to the issue, obviously. He successfully did that. He never expected the administration to answer him.

...And we all can sleep better knowing this President or any President is going to do the same thing to protect the United States.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say "going to do the same." Could you clarify?

I think the conditions of the decisions and the capabilities decide the course of action in an extraordinary event that would require a President to act within the US. In short, it decides itself and the President is just along for the ride. All Presidents are going to take the job of COC seriously and protect the US.

...And we all can sleep better knowing this President or any President is going to do the same thing to protect the United States.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say "going to do the same." Could you clarify?

I think the conditions of the decisions and the capabilities decide the course of action in an extraordinary event that would require a President to act within the US. In short, it decides itself and the President is just along for the ride. All Presidents are going to take the job of COC seriously and protect the US.

Doesn't that line of thinking imply that the President can essentially do anything?

But is it a waste of time to ask this question? I don't think so.

Since when does a question require a filibuster?
That is how they do it in D.C.

They hold legislation hostage until they get the answers they want, and then run off to the media to scream, "See how bad the other side is!?!"

The democrats were masters of it when Bush was President.

The truth is, this isn't even all that much of a big deal. The White House simply has to state that they do not believe they have the power to kill Americans who pose no threat to the United States without due process.

Just how hard is that to do for this President? Any other would have said, "Yes, of course its unConstitutional."

So was the Louisiana Purchase!

Doesn't that line of thinking imply that the President can essentially do anything?

I would say the President could kill a US citizen on US soil, if they needed to do it.

I would say the President could kill a US citizen on US soil, if they needed to do it.

The operative word would be "needed." That is what consitutes "need?" But as has been repeatedly pointed out, Holder has been clear that without at the very least some imminent threat that requies force, this is a non issue. And that's been the law all along. The cops aren't supposed to shoot you unless that's the only option, eg Ruby Ridge.

The real question is just what are the mechanics for deciding when we kill Americans overseas.

And the companion question is really whther the drone war is making us safer at this point? Are we killing people who really aren't threats? I don't know.

Rand did good in bringing out the question.

Holder answered competently.

End of story, time to vote.

Is that why our Ambassador was killed when he could have been saved... because all Presidents take the job seriously.

Is that why our Ambassador was killed when he could have been saved... because all Presidents take the job seriously.

Your question is meaningless because it infers facts that are not so.

You don't know the details, so why pretend you do, Hack?

The best Avatar's comment can do is argue without evidence that the president was incompetent in the Benghazi matter.

His comment has nothing to do with presidential powers in military decision making.

This from the QUEEN of fact-free bloviation and trolling!

Pot, meet kettle!

I know there wasn't bitching about Embassies being bombed. I thought those Marines that died in Beirut was kind of stupid after we withdrew. It's shit happens to me.

No, the President cannot. Glad I do not live in your little world of government supremacy over all things, even your life.

This from the QUEEN of fact-free bloviation and trolling!

Pot, meet kettle!

I know there wasn't bitching about Embassies being bombed. I thought those Marines that died in Beirut was kind of stupid after we withdrew. It's shit happens to me.

Beirut should have vanished in nuclear fire the day after that bombing.

That's really brilliant to kill off all those innocent people for the actions of others.

Even if they weren't an immediate threat?

No, the President cannot. Glad I do not live in your little world of government supremacy over all things, even your life.

Of course a president can order so, despite what a typical reactionary like you thinks.

Forum List

Back