Reagan Adviser: George W. Bush's Policies Bankrupt The Country

A former adviser of Ronald Reagan has some choice words for George W. Bush.

David Stockman, Reagan’s budget director from 1981 to 1985, slammed Bush and his former boss in an op-ed in The New York Times Sunday. Stockman argued in the piece that Reagan’s view on the deficit “created a template for the Republicans’ utter abandonment of the balanced-budget policies of Calvin Coolidge.”

“(Reagan’s deficit policies) allowed George W. Bush to dive into the deep end, bankrupting the nation through two misbegotten and unfinanced wars, a giant expansion of Medicare and a tax-cutting spree for the wealthy that turned K Street lobbyists into the de facto office of national tax policy,” Stockman wrote.

Bush isn’t the only Republican leader to draw Stockman’s ire in recent months, though. During the 2012 presidential election, Stockman called Republican candidate Mitt Romney “a master financial speculator who bought, sold, flipped, and stripped businesses.” He also attacked Vice Presidential Candidate Paul Ryan’s budget, arguing that it was “devoid of credible math or hard policy choices.”

More: David Stockman, Ex-Reagan Budget Director: George W. Bush's Policies Bankrupt The Country

State-Wrecked: The Corruption of Capitalism in America

"You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter. We won the mid-term elections, this is our due." : to Paul O'Neill, then Treasury Secretary

----

Stockman was THE supply sider when he was in the Congress and when he first went into the WH. Then reality hit him upside his head

Last edited:
Are there any Reagan adviser's commenting on his catastrophic foreign policy failures?

Red Herring Alert. "TheOldSchool" has made an effort to change the direction of the thread, should he not be sanctioned by the 'power'!
No doubt!!!!

Everybody knows ReRon was PREPARED!!!!

:popcorn:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkWXjCnASCk]Hellcats of the Navy 1957 Film Trailer with Ronald Reagan - YouTube[/ame]​

I think the hope is that it'll make Obama seem less inept, as if that could mitigate over four years of failure.

We are 16 trillion in debt so strictly speaking we as a nation have been bankrupt long before Bush was ever president. I get such a laugh out of people who act like this debt just suddenly sprang up under Bush and we were debt free before then.

"The excuse cannot be used that Congress massively increased Reagan's budget proposals. On the contrary, there was never much difference between Reagan's and Congress's budgets, and despite propaganda to the contrary, Reagan never proposed a cut in the total budget."
Murray N. Rothbard - former Dean of the Austrian School, an economist, economic historian, and libertarian political philosopher

"The debt explosion has resulted not from big spending by the Democrats, but instead the Republican Party's embrace, about three decades ago, of the insidious doctrine that deficits don't matter if they result from tax cuts."
David Stockman - Director of the Office of Management and Budget for U.S. President Ronald Reagan.

"Grover Norquist has no plan to pay this debt down. His plan says you continue to add to the debt..."
Senator Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.)

“Ronald Reagan changed the trajectory of America in a way that Richard Nixon did not and in a way that Bill Clinton did not.” That was Barack Obama in 2008. When Attacked, Obama's Now Hitting Back And he was right. Reagan was an ideological inflection point, ending a 50-year liberal ascendancy and beginning a 30-year conservative ascendancy.
Charles Krauthammer

A former adviser of Ronald Reagan has some choice words for George W. Bush.

David Stockman, Reagan’s budget director from 1981 to 1985, slammed Bush and his former boss in an op-ed in The New York Times Sunday. Stockman argued in the piece that Reagan’s view on the deficit “created a template for the Republicans’ utter abandonment of the balanced-budget policies of Calvin Coolidge.”

“(Reagan’s deficit policies) allowed George W. Bush to dive into the deep end, bankrupting the nation through two misbegotten and unfinanced wars, a giant expansion of Medicare and a tax-cutting spree for the wealthy that turned K Street lobbyists into the de facto office of national tax policy,” Stockman wrote.

Bush isn’t the only Republican leader to draw Stockman’s ire in recent months, though. During the 2012 presidential election, Stockman called Republican candidate Mitt Romney “a master financial speculator who bought, sold, flipped, and stripped businesses.” He also attacked Vice Presidential Candidate Paul Ryan’s budget, arguing that it was “devoid of credible math or hard policy choices.”

More: David Stockman, Ex-Reagan Budget Director: George W. Bush's Policies Bankrupt The Country

State-Wrecked: The Corruption of Capitalism in America

Wait a minute,.........is Bush still POTUS??????

The cost of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan combined with the Bush-era tax cuts for the wealthy will account for nearly half of the debt the U.S. will owe by 2019, according to a February analysis from the Center on Budget Policy and Priorities

We are 16 trillion in debt so strictly speaking we as a nation have been bankrupt long before Bush was ever president. I get such a laugh out of people who act like this debt just suddenly sprang up under Bush and we were debt free before then.

That's what Porky Limbaugh said, huh??

"Eight years ago, our future was at risk," Clinton said Wednesday morning. "Economic growth was low, unemployment was high, interest rates were high, the federal debt had quadrupled in the previous 12 years. When Vice President Gore and I took office, the budget deficit was $290 billion, and it was projected this year the budget deficit would be $455 billion."

Instead, the president explained, the $5.7 trillion national debt has been reduced by $360 billion in the last three years -- $223 billion this year alone.

This represents, Clinton said, "the largest one-year debt reduction in the history of the United States."

:udaman:

:thewave:

Stockman also strongly recommends:
  • Balanced Budget Amendment
  • Publicly-financed elections
  • Strict, short term limits
Just like me!

:rock:

Bush is far from gone. The damage he inflicted on America, and the world, will be with us for decades.
I thought obama promised to fix it all in his first term? Thanks for reminding us obama is a failure.

The concept of the USA as a GOING CONCERN apparently confuses many partisans.

Which is rather amusing given how most of them lay claim to understanding economics and business.

I think the hope is that it'll make Obama seem less inept, as if that could mitigate over four years of failure.

Where are we on the 28 years of debt-fueled canned heat econmy/"voodoo" economics / "new economy" fiscal policies that crashed and burned just before America expressed buyer's remorse for 2004 by electing the inexperienced un-Republican, Barack Hussein Obama, Lord and Master of the Nutballs and all they Survey - as well as President of Rational America?

Does any Republican posting here have the personal integrity to take that one on?

Last edited:

Where are we on the 28 years of debt-fueled canned heat econmy/"voodoo" economics / "new economy" fiscal policies that crashed and burned just before America expressed buyer's remorse for 2004 by electing the inexperienced un-Republican, Barack Hussein Obama, Lord and Master of the Nutballs and all they Survey - as well as President of Rational America?

Does any Republican posting here have the personal integrity to take that one on?

No need to take on shit like that.. because I changed enough diapers and scrubbed enough latrines

The GOP learned long ago to run up the debt, and when a Democratic candidate wins, they begin to complain about the debt.

Yes, like when W's deficits were hitting 300-350 billion and the left were hyperventilating that he was spending our children's money and Obama said it made him unpatriotic, then when Obama hit $1.5 trillion and Obama and the left said it's no thang.

Hmmm, maybe that isn't what you meant...

Only fools think obamaturd has no fault. Bush is gone idiot, get over it. Obamaturd has done much more harm.

Bush is far from gone. The damage he inflicted on America, and the world, will be with us for decades.
I thought obama promised to fix it all in his first term? Thanks for reminding us obama is a failure.

No one could fix Bush's mess in 4 years. I guess the sting from November is still there.

I think what you are saying is that we get what we deserve? If so, I agree.

Forum List

Back