Rebels take Syrian Christian village

I'm waiting.

Look, there aren't always good guys in warfare. That's not how conflict works, and the longer conflict goes on, the less ideology tends to be a motivating factor in it.

I'm interested in what is best for the US and for regional and international stability. That means I don't like Assad, who has been a net exporter of terrorism and instability for years, nor do I like the ISI(S) and Al Nusra (and related groups) who would cause major internal and international instability through jihadi infrastructure. In this case the FSA represents the least worse of the three major options. They are the only viable rebel counter to Al Qaeda, they are largely politically secular, they are the least sectarian, and they support terrorism the least. You may dislike them, but they are the least worse of the three big players.

No they aren't.

Are you from Israel, too?

No, and neither Israel nor the US supports Al Nusra, or the ISI(S).

Attacking Assad is supporting Al Nusra and the ISIS and Israel and the US (referring to Obamas support for military strikes) are supporting attacking Assad. Attacks on Assad will strengthen these groups in Syria. I expect just the talk of a strike is what emboldened the extremists to take over this Christian village. Israels fabricated Intelligence is what began this entire fiasco that propsed attacks on Syria.

Attacking Assad is supporting Al Nusra and the ISIS and Israel and the US (referring to Obamas support for military strikes) are supporting attacking Assad. Attacks on Assad will strengthen these groups in Syria. I expect just the talk of a strike is what emboldened the extremists to take over this Christian village. Israels fabricated Intelligence is what began this entire fiasco that propsed attacks on Syria.

There are more than two factions in this war. the choice isn't simply between the ISI(S), al Nusra and Assad.

Al Qaeda didn't like Gaddafi either, but helping remove him wasn't us supporting Al Qaeda.

We don't even give them passive support which is why we included them on our terrorism list even when the FSA objected.

Last edited:

There are more than two factions in this war. the choice isn't simply between the ISI(S), al Nusra and Assad.

Al Qaeda didn't like Gaddafi either, but helping remove him wasn't us supporting Al Qaeda.

We don't even give them passive support which is why we included them on our terrorism list even when the FSA objected.

We have responsibility for our actions, when we engage in actions which contribute to failed states we create an environment where Al Qaeda type groups thrive. The way to fix things in Syria is not with military strikes, not military strikes by anyone against either side.

"WARNING - FOOTAGE OF ATTACK TO CAMP ASHRAF IN IRAQ - THE MASSACRE BY IRANIAN REGIME & MALEKI." If you google what is in parenthesis, you will be able to access a video which depicts the type of violence happening in Iraq today. That is an illustration of the fruits of the US Invasion of Iraq. I do not provide the link because it is a graphic video. And no doubt but that the Iranian government was behind this, but obviously so was Iraqs leader, Maleki. The top leaders of the MEK were targeted and killed, and it is believed many taken prisoner, as they have simply disappeared.

We have responsibility for our actions, when we engage in actions which contribute to failed states we create an environment where Al Qaeda type groups thrive. The way to fix things in Syria is not with military strikes, not military strikes by anyone against either side.

Al Qaeda is already thriving in Syria, and it only gets stronger the longer the war lasts. Our best bet would be to see the war end, and have a stronger FSA turn its attentions against the ISI(S)

Al Qaeda is already thriving in Syria, and it only gets stronger the longer the war lasts. Our best bet would be to see the war end, and have a stronger FSA turn its attentions against the ISI(S)

Diplomacy is needed.

They are part of the Opposition, when we arm the Opposition we make them stronger too. So, that is something that needs to end, the US arming the Opposition.

The FSA and the ISI(S) don't particularly care for one another, and the ISI(S) doesn't need us to arm them, they already have foreign backers. It is a false association to simply lump all rebel groups together.

The FSA and the ISI(S) will be natural enemies once Assad falls. If they go unarmed and unbacked then the ISI(S) and Al Nusra have the military advantage.

Diplomacy simply isn't an opinion unfortunately, so it is going to be conflict, the question then becomes how do you want the conflict to play out?

Last edited:
Assault on Christian Town in Syria Adds to Fears Over Rebels

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/09/1...tian-town-complicates-crisis-in-syria.htmlBut Nuns were interviewed and state most of the town’s residents have fled, and "Maaloula, one of the last places where Aramaic, the language of Jesus, is still spoken by Christians and some Muslims, has become a one-word argument against Western support for the rebels — at the worst possible time for Mr. Obama and the opponents of Mr. Assad.If Maaloula survives, it will be a miracle,” Mother Pelagia said. “Maaloula is empty. You see ghosts on the walls.”Reached by telephone on Monday night, Mother Pelagia Sayaf, who is in charge of Mar Taqla, a monastery in Maaloula that is among the country’s oldest, said that the 53 nuns and orphans staying there had not been harmed and that the principal damage was shattered windows. Another nun said some of the fighters were local men who promised to protect the monastery.But the encounter with the rebels had done little to reassure the nuns that in the long run Syria’s Christians would retain the peaceful existence they had long enjoyed."

Last edited:
They are part of the Opposition, when we arm the Opposition we make them stronger too. So, that is something that needs to end, the US arming the Opposition.

The FSA and the ISI(S) don't particularly care for one another, and the ISI(S) doesn't need us to arm them, they already have foreign backers. It is a false association to simply lump all rebel groups together.

The FSA and the ISI(S) will be natural enemies once Assad falls. If they go unarmed and unbacked then the ISI(S) and Al Nusra have the military advantage.

Diplomacy simply isn't an opinion unfortunately, so it is going to be conflict, the question then becomes how do you want the conflict to play out?

How does US prevent another Maloula from happening, as we arm the rebels? Or do the Christians of Syria mean nothing to you? That article clearly shows the Opposition inculudes Al Qaeda groups and their members attack villages and even tried to force Christians to convert to Islam. Most of the Christians fled, the nuns who stayed are reporting.

Last edited:
How does US prevent another Maloula from happening, as we arm the rebels? Or do the Christians of Syria mean nothing to you?

The Christians of Syria don't mean any more or any less to me than the other civilians of Syria. I'm more concerned with humans in general and don't play favorites among religious and ethnic lines. I find such factionalism disgusting.

My perspective on the war, comes not from the concern of any one microcosm of the country, but out of concern for the stability, well being, and security of the entire region.

And to answer your question: we don't prevent another one. We can't. That's one reason why war is pretty horrible.

Forum List

Back