Rebublicans here in NC want t charge people by the mile to drive

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
RALEIGH, N.C. – Big changes could be just down the road for North Carolina drivers as they could be charged by the mile, instead of at the gas pump.
North Carolina Department of Transportation board members will hear a presentation Wednesday on a proposal to tax people based on the number of miles they drive.

NC drivers could be charged by the mile; NCDOT hears proposal | MyFOX8.com

Tholl Roads. Thaxation-by-GPS. Brought to you by a Republican administration.
Tholl Roads. Thaxation-by-GPS. Brought to you by a Republican administration. |

Last edited:
It's an old idea, brought to you by liberals.

Ever since hybrids came along and people started spending a lot less on fuel, libs had to come up with a way to make up for the lost tax revenue.

But regardless of who is pushing it, I don't see how it can be enforced easily.

1) Does anyone think that such a tax would eliminate the gasoline tax...or would they end up with both?
2) Everyone cool with government monitoring your driving? That's what it would take to implement such a tax.
3) All of this nonsense is an argument for privately owned and funded roads, which operate FAR more efficiently the anything government touches.

1) Does anyone think that such a tax would eliminate the gasoline tax...or would they end up with both?
2) Everyone cool with government monitoring your driving? That's what it would take to implement such a tax.
3) All of this nonsense is an argument for privately owned and funded roads, which operate FAR more efficiently the anything government touches.

They are looking at both , we have the highest gas taxs in the south east, most of the state is rural and not to prosperous, In the rural areas there is no public transportation. Proposl the are floting : GPS in all cars to monitor

Last edited:
RALEIGH, N.C. – Big changes could be just down the road for North Carolina drivers as they could be charged by the mile, instead of at the gas pump.
North Carolina Department of Transportation board members will hear a presentation Wednesday on a proposal to tax people based on the number of miles they drive.

That's bad on all sorts of counts. I think some candidate here in Virginia was proposing a similar thing, I disagreed with them as well.

They are looking at both , we have the highest gas taxs in the south east, most of the state is rural and not to prosperous, In the rural areas there is no public transportation. Proposl the are floting : GPS in all cars to monitor

Your gas prices are similar to ours if not cheaper. The cheapest gas I see are in the rural areas of Virginia on Route 58 (Southill between Emporia). I noticed a similar thing driving on 85 in North Carolina; the closer you got to the cities the higher the prices and they were pretty similar to our prices here in Hampton Roads.

Democrats in California want to do the same thing. Did you really think that electric cars and hybrids would save you money?

Another unintended consequence. Government mandates higher MPG, Car companies comply and gas tax revenues fall short. They are looking for a way to make up the difference.

Just curious, why are you blaming this on Republicans? I'm not saying they don't like their taxes too, but your link made NO mention of political parties.

Further, this decision on taxing by the mile falls to the Department of Transportation Board, a 19 member committee. You have some evidence these guys are Republicans?

NCDOT: Board Member Directory

Hmmm...

First, the GOP wanted everyone to carry national identity papers.

Then they wanted you to produce your national identity papers before you can exercise your right to vote for what government you want.

Now the government is tracking your movements by collecting data about your cell phone, and the Republicans in North Carolina think this should be buttressed by installing a government monitored GPS in your car.

A totalitarian wet dream. In America. "Land of the Free".

They already have an international program similar to this for commercial trucks weighing more than 26,000 pounds. It's called IFTA (International Fuel Tax Agreement), companies pay for miles driven in each state or in Canada, they did this because drivers were buying fuel in lower cost states the majority of the time and the states just couldn't have that. Things like this will happen eventually, I just hope I don't live to see it.

Just curious, why are you blaming this on Republicans? I'm not saying they don't like their taxes too, but your link made NO mention of political parties.

Further, this decision on taxing by the mile falls to the Department of Transportation Board, a 19 member committee. You have some evidence these guys are Republicans?

The OP links specifically mentions the legislature is dominated by the GOP, and the Governor is a Republican.

While the idea would force those hybrid-driving liberals to pay their fair share, it seems inequitable since rural folks have to drive much more to attend to daily business. Of course that could mandate moving into government housing (hives) in urban areas.

Still, even in super-leftist Oregon, the same idea got shot down real fast. Methinks by libs who didn't want to pay their fair share for using their Prius (or as it's called in Oregon, their "Pious").

Ever since hybrids came along and people started spending a lot less on fuel, libs had to come up with a way to make up for the lost tax revenue.

A bill proposed by the GOP, but it's "da libs" fault :lol:

It's unreal how stupid you right wingers are :cuckoo:

All this overlooks the simple fact that today's "Mainstream Republicans" (aka "RINOs") stand just to the right of Marx himself. Barely.

Last edited:

The OP links specifically mentions the legislature is dominated by the GOP, and the Governor is a Republican.

Yes, he added that link after the fact. Okay, fair enough. The Board is hearing this, but I suspect the legislature would have to approve a new tax. Just didn't seem to a Republican thing specifically.

And as I stated, I'm no Republican nor fan of either party of big government.

A 2006 report commissioned by the federal Department of Transportation called a mileage tax "the most promising technique for directly assessing road users for the costs of individual trips within a comprehensive fee scheme that will generate revenue to cover the costs of highway programs."

Is Obama Going to Tax Drivers?

Wouldn't that be the Bush Administration?

Forum List

Back