Red Robin is Cutting 570 Jobs. Can You Guess Why?

Red Robin is eliminating bussers at 570 of its locations due to states' hikes in the minimum wage.

"Despite what many people, including policymakers, would argue, this is an altogether painfully predictable response to increased labor costs. It’s basic economics. The “first law of demand” teaches us that when the price of a good or service increases, people will tend to buy fewer units. Conversely, when the price of a good or service decreases, people will tend to buy more. This idea is usually presented no later than chapter 3 in any econ 101 textbook.

"Labor is no exception to this rule. If the cost of employing workers increases, we’d expect companies to hire fewer workers and even to let some go ...

"While we may not like the idea of someone trying to live on $5 or even $7 an hour, we can likely all agree that earning a small wage is better than earning nothing at all due to unemployment. It’s easy to vilify restaurants and other companies when they respond to higher costs with layoffs. But it’s important to place the blame where it belongs. In this case, it’s bad policy—not incompetence, not corporate greed—that’s causing people to lose their jobs."

Didn't the tax cut more than cover that? Other places are raising wages.

You won't hear about it in the news when a CEO or executive gets a pay cut. It's usually done behind closed doors with the BOD and/or investors and it's not typically discussed publicly as it could effect stock prices. Also, CEO's and executives that get pay cuts don't whine to the public about it because they actually care about the business and understand why it's being done - hell half the time they suggest it.

My local McDonald's has gone from 12 employees and one manager on staff for mornings down to 6... three cooks and three counter and drive up personnel and one manager... they added two new positions but they are order kiosks...6 hard working college students lost their job due to ridiculous minimum wage hikes... Once again a bunch of idiot do gooders doing great harm to make themselves feel good...hey libs!!!!! stop trying to help people you don't know what the hell you are doing!!!!
and that's just it. minimum wage was never meant to put people above poverty - more to keep kids from getting screwed. now people just got lazy and they want low skill jobs to pay more so they don't have to go learn something.

I agree completely fast food jobs historically have been for young people...never intended for heads of family...except for the managers position...same for the rear of super markets...the term is stock boy not stock man...LOL

Fast food is open 24/7 . How do you have teens working that schedule ? What you see is a lot of older people or people as 2nd jobs.

More importantly, why should a teenager willing to work get fucked over wage-wise?

My local McDonald's has gone from 12 employees and one manager on staff for mornings down to 6... three cooks and three counter and drive up personnel and one manager... they added two new positions but they are order kiosks...6 hard working college students lost their job due to ridiculous minimum wage hikes... Once again a bunch of idiot do gooders doing great harm to make themselves feel good...hey libs!!!!! stop trying to help people you don't know what the hell you are doing!!!!
and that's just it. minimum wage was never meant to put people above poverty - more to keep kids from getting screwed. now people just got lazy and they want low skill jobs to pay more so they don't have to go learn something.

I agree completely fast food jobs historically have been for young people...never intended for heads of family...except for the managers position...same for the rear of super markets...the term is stock boy not stock man...LOL

Fast food is open 24/7 . How do you have teens working that schedule ? What you see is a lot of older people or people as 2nd jobs.

18 & 19 year olds can't work late?

Red Robin is a Big Mac for $8....what a RIP. :102:
Tastes a lot better than a Big Mac

and I really enjoyed the pyramid of onion rings

No they don't...and their fries are the worst I ever tasted. I got a $25 gift certificate to eat there. 3 burgers with mystery toppings and Arby's buns.....ridiculous.
First of all the best burger is from IN and Out...:SMILEW~130:

No, it ain't. The best burger in the world comes from Tommy's in LA.

Fast food is open 24/7 . How do you have teens working that schedule ? What you see is a lot of older people or people as 2nd jobs
ummmmmm 18 is an adult capable of working his or her way through school by working...wait for it...the NIGHT SHIFT!!!!!!!

The minimum wage adjusted for inflation has been falling for about 50 years.

More importantly, why should a teenager willing to work get fucked over wage-wise?

Oh please. When I was in HS I worked as a busboy for like a buck an hour + a share of the server's tips. What intellectual capabilities are required to clear a table or punch a cash register with pictures on it?

Red Robin is a Big Mac for $8....what a RIP. :102:
Tastes a lot better than a Big Mac

and I really enjoyed the pyramid of onion rings

No they don't...and their fries are the worst I ever tasted. I got a $25 gift certificate to eat there. 3 burgers with mystery toppings and Arby's buns.....ridiculous.
First of all the best burger is from IN and Out...:SMILEW~130:

No, it ain't. The best burger in the world comes from Tommy's in LA.
By golly westwall you got me there I agree...

Red Robin is eliminating bussers at 570 of its locations due to states' hikes in the minimum wage.

"Despite what many people, including policymakers, would argue, this is an altogether painfully predictable response to increased labor costs. It’s basic economics. The “first law of demand” teaches us that when the price of a good or service increases, people will tend to buy fewer units. Conversely, when the price of a good or service decreases, people will tend to buy more. This idea is usually presented no later than chapter 3 in any econ 101 textbook.

"Labor is no exception to this rule. If the cost of employing workers increases, we’d expect companies to hire fewer workers and even to let some go ...

"While we may not like the idea of someone trying to live on $5 or even $7 an hour, we can likely all agree that earning a small wage is better than earning nothing at all due to unemployment. It’s easy to vilify restaurants and other companies when they respond to higher costs with layoffs. But it’s important to place the blame where it belongs. In this case, it’s bad policy—not incompetence, not corporate greed—that’s causing people to lose their jobs."

if you have slaves, that's cost-effective too.... but you can't not pay people a living wage. no doubt it's a nice talking point though.

and THIS is why Red Robin laid people off.... as of 11/17

Shares of Red Robin Gourmet Burgers Inc. (NASDAQ:RRGB) were down 29.6% as of 2 p.m. EST Tuesday after the burger-centric restaurant chain announced disappointing quarterly results.

More specifically, Red Robin's third-quarter revenue climbed a modest 2.3% year over year to $304.2 million. That translated to adjusted net income of $2.7 million, or $0.21 per share, down from just over $5 million, or $0.38 per share in the same year-ago period. Analysts, on average, were expecting significantly higher net income of $0.29 per share on revenue of $309.3 million.

Why Red Robin Gourmet Burgers, Inc. Stock Plummeted Today

don't care.

MINIMUM was never meant to be enough to feed a family on.

Oh please. When I was in HS I worked as a busboy for like a buck an hour + a share of the server's tips. What intellectual capabilities are required to clear a table or punch a cash register with pictures on it?

How poor do you want people to be? How poor is poor enough for you?

Wonder why you never hear of executives getting pay cuts to bring expenses down. Always the little guy getting fucked.

That is the nature of capitalism

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Who is easier to replace a good CEO or a low to no skilled workers?

Right. Not a full time main job.

Would those states just happen to be BLUE states?

don't care.

MINIMUM was never meant to be enough to feed a family on.

Which is why now, it's your taxes that make up the difference in the form of government assistance.

I worked for 2 dollars an hour painting houses for my uncle...wow things have changed fast...

Red Robin has a mediocre product at best. You can get better burgers many other places. They are probably on the cusp of failing as a business due to a poor product. Minimum wage hikes driving up the cost of operations are probably the nail in the coffin.

Forum List

Back