Reid Changing Filibuster Rules

The is a great day for America and democracy.

Elections have consequences.

People who voted for Harry Reid voted for someone who assured them that this would not happen as long as he was leader of the senate.

Is that the kind of consequence you want people to associate with voting for a Democrat?

The majority should rule in a democracy.

Get rid of the filibuster forever.

We're a Republic, not a Democracy:

United States Constitution, Article IV, Section 4:

The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion.

Furthermore, it's the Senate, which represents the States equally, regardless of their actual population; your statement would have some ground for argument if you were commenting on the House of Representatives.

Wait, you're a Liberal, which means you won't even read what I wrote

:(

That's right. So many forget that.

The filibuster, as Obama and other Dems once argued, is a needed tool to keep the balance and to ensure all people are represented, not just the majority. Now they are nothing but bullies because they aren't getting their way. Considering the damage they've done already, they need to be stopped.

We are not and never should be a democracy. Remember the famous quote:

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

It's no accident that liberals want to be a democracy (only when they are in charge) and they would prefer the people to all be unarmed little lambs that they can control.

Obama's approval rating is pathetically low because he and the Dems have royally fucked up the last 5 years. This move is just more of the same nonsense.

Last edited:
The is a great day for America and democracy.

Elections have consequences.

People who voted for Harry Reid voted for someone who assured them that this would not happen as long as he was leader of the senate.

Is that the kind of consequence you want people to associate with voting for a Democrat?

Harry finally grew some stones.

Time to kick some Republican ass.

The majority should rule in a democracy.

Get rid of the filibuster forever.

The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion.

Furthermore, it's the Senate, which represents the States equally, regardless of their actual population; your statement would have some ground for argument if you were commenting on the House of Representatives.

The filibuster, as Obama and other Dems once argued, is a needed tool to keep the balance and to ensure all people are represented, not just the majority. Now they are nothing but bullies because they aren't getting their way. Considering the damage they've done already, they need to be stopped.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

It's no accident that liberals want to be a democracy (only when they are in charge) and they would the people all to be unarmed little lambs that they can control.

Obama's approval rating is pathetically low because he and the Dems have royally fucked up the last 5 years. This move is just more of the same nonsense.

We are and should be a democracy.

Bu thanks for admitting you don't like democracy.

We knew this to be the case, because you keep blocking the vote and gerrymandering the districts.

can anyone really blame him for the "party of no" (hint- the party that couldn't win the Presidency or the senate :redface: ) simply blocking anything that moves for the past 4+ yrs? Sen. Reid is a statesman & a scholar

Reid threatens to go nuclear on filibuster reform | MSNBC
“I’m considering looking at the rules,” the Nevada Democrat told reporters on Tuesday. “The American people are sick of this. In the name of simple fairness, any president, not just President Obama, Democrat or Republican, needs to be able to have the team that he wants in place,” Reid added.

Reid’s threat comes as Senate Republicans blocked – for the third time in three weeks—Obama’s pick, Robert Wilkins, to be a judge on the powerful D.C. Court of Appeals. Reid had a solid majority, but due to GOP’s exploitation of the Senate’s arcane rules, Democrats still fell six votes short of ending debate on Wilkins’ nomination.

Are Republicans breaking any rules here?

Uh huh and when the Democrats are the minority will they want to change the rules back? Reid and the Democrats would be wise to remember you don't remain the majority forever.

Let them change the rule. Midterms are coming.

To be honest, I don't think republicans will fight to reinstate this rule when they get a majority back.

Ame®icano;8187015 said:
Uh huh and when the Democrats are the minority will they want to change the rules back? Reid and the Democrats would be wise to remember you don't remain the majority forever.

To be honest, I don't think republicans will fight to reinstate this rule when they get a majority back.

Republicans aren't getting the majority back.

You can't gerrymander a state.

Ame®icano;8187015 said:

Democrats can keep finding promises they haven't broken yet and find a way to break them.

President Obama Job Approval
RCP Average
Approve 40.4
Disapprove 55.4
Spread -15.0

And in the Generic Congressional Vote, Democrats have lost the advantage they had in October.

Democrats should listen to this black man explain why changing the rules mid game is a bad idea.
Obama Flashback: We Need to Rise Above an Ends Justifies the Means Mentality - YouTube

Of course... it was different, then...

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected] ate.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 11:02 AM
To: Hoven, Randall M
Subject: Message from Senator Barack Obama

Dear Randall:

Thank you for your letter. I appreciate hearing from you.

I recognize that the filibuster can be used for unfortunate purposes. However, I am also aware that the Founding Fathers established the filibuster as a means of protecting the minority from the tyranny of the majority -- and that protection, with some changes, has been in place for over 200 years.

In regard to your reference to Judge Brown, I voted against her confirmation because I believe her record on the California State Supreme Court raised real questions about her commitment to individual rights and civil liberties. I spoke on the Senate floor about this nomination before the votes were cast, and the following weblink will take you directly to my remarks:
http://obama.senate.gov/speech/05060...he_nomination_
of_justice_janice_rogers_brown/index.html
Again, Randall, thank you for writing. Please stay in touch.
Sincerely,
Barack Obama
United States Senator

Ame®icano;8187015 said:

Yet they control the majority of the state houses, go figure. :lol::lol::lol:

In other words:

Legislative terrorism.

In this case, I have to agree with you.

However, I think it would have been better if Reid and McConnell could have come together and said, "On midnight 1/1/2020, the rules become __________________" not knowing which party would be benefitted by getting rid of this idiotic filibuster.

This move by Reid is simply wrong.

For once, I agree with you.

And it's freezing here in Michigan.

Ame®icano;8187058 said:
In other words:

Legislative terrorism.

In this case, I have to agree with you.

However, I think it would have been better if Reid and McConnell could have come together and said, "On midnight 1/1/2020, the rules become __________________" not knowing which party would be benefitted by getting rid of this idiotic filibuster.

This move by Reid is simply wrong.

For once, I agree with you.

And it's freezing here in Michigan.

Thank you for acknowledging Reid made the wrong move ....Senate Democrats have done what Harry Reid said would be the end of the Senate | RedState

Personally IMO, this entire mess needs to be cleaned up. Neither side is right. Both are seeking political approval when they don't deserve it. JMHO

Ame®icano;8187015 said:

Honestly, I'm happy that the Democrats did away with the rule. Trent Lott should have done it in 2003, but he let the Democrats talk him out of it and now THEY did away with it. It'll be fun to see how they react when they are the minority.

It's no accident that liberals want to be a democracy (only when they are in charge) and they would the people all to be unarmed little lambs that they can control.

We are and should be a democracy.

Bu thanks for admitting you don't like democracy.

We knew this to be the case, because you keep blocking the vote and gerrymandering the districts.

We are not a true democracy. Our liberty is a crucial part of maintaining freedom. Do liberals even get that anymore? Or is running to nana gubmint the solution to all of life's little issues?

Ame®icano;8187015 said:

Honestly, I'm happy that the Democrats did away with the rule. Trent Lott should have done it in 2003, but he let the Democrats talk him out of it and now THEY did away with it. It'll be fun to see how they react when they are the minority.

We will rue this day.

Today's actions make us more apt to bad government.

As if!

The filibuster is a stupid rule.

The Senate just got smarter.

Yes but the leaders (including the President) could have gotten together with the current minority and have chosen a date in the future where the rules would be changed and there would be no more filibustering of appointees and neither side would know who would be in power when the rules changed so nobody could claim a benefit/injury to their cause.

To act unilaterally does improve this body but it's the same thing could have happened when the GOP was in power in the Senate and they didn't do it...

The GOP didn't use the nuclear option because Democrats were not abusing the system. What was happening with the president's nominees was unprecedented. The Teaparty had to be slapped back now not in 2020. The Teaparty in particular will do anything they can think of to delegitimize this president and it's been working.

I think Reid did the right thing and it will help and not hinder the Senate.

Forum List

Back