Reid Changing Filibuster Rules

"After Obama, that changed. Even if everyone agreed the nominee was a perfect candidate, the nominee was still filibustered, solely because Obama nominated him. That hadn't happened before, and was the straw that broke the camel's back."

Do you think untruths like this are helpful?

Nominees were filibustered for many reasons. It was not about Obama. Putting a hold on appointments until other issues were looked at is not filibustering solely because Obama made the nomination. Politics is messy business. Democrats played it too. What Republicans did was not unprecedented in any detail except for the number of filibusters, and that was part of a trend. Democrats escalated the pace of filibusters during Bush's presidency and if a Republican had been elected president again in this polarized, media-saturated, cameras-everywhere age, Democrats would have further escalated their filibusters too.

Oh sweet Geezus Amelia :eusa_doh: WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!!! Repubs filibustered anything and everything that had our great president's hand prints on it. You people are beyond the pale on this :eusa_eh: PUT down the SeanRushLevin kool aid :alcoholic: :eusa_hand:
I listened to a little of Levin's show last night because I was sure he was going to blow a gasket. He did not disappoint. He ranted and raved as usual. But he was so around the bend that he made it sound as if Marshal Law had been declared and he was on the run from an arrest decree.

My concern, which I've expressed a few times, is that talk radio has become potentially dangerous to our Republic if people take this hyperbolic nonsense seriously since it's essentially a daily anti American rant which undermines our country's ability to solve problems in an increasingly competitive world when other countries are not crippled by this kind perpetual gridlock. America has become like a team that can't play together due to all kinds of personal squabbles and petty gripes while other less talented teams are working toward a common goal. Namely winning at the game of international competition.

More support I see for tyranny and censorship. Straight from the communist manifesto

-Geaux

Oh sweet Geezus Amelia :eusa_doh: WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!!! Repubs filibustered anything and everything that had our great president's hand prints on it. You people are beyond the pale on this :eusa_eh: PUT down the SeanRushLevin kool aid :alcoholic: :eusa_hand:
I listened to a little of Levin's show last night because I was sure he was going to blow a gasket. He did not disappoint. He ranted and raved as usual. But he was so around the bend that he made it sound as if Marshal Law had been declared and he was on the run from an arrest decree.

My concern, which I've expressed a few times, is that talk radio has become potentially dangerous to our Republic if people take this hyperbolic nonsense seriously since it's essentially a daily anti American rant which undermines our country's ability to solve problems in an increasingly competitive world when other countries are not crippled by this kind perpetual gridlock. America has become like a team that can't play together due to all kinds of personal squabbles and petty gripes while other less talented teams are working toward a common goal. Namely winning at the game of international competition.

More support I see for tyranny and censorship. Straight from the communist manifesto

-Geaux
Yep. And note in thread after thread they accuse the right of the same? Seems to me they project what they really do...what really is in their hearts. Want to know a leftists intent? Easy. Read their bile that they accuse others of doing...they are telegraphing whom they really are. They can't deny it.

Ame®icano;8189237 said:
Keep telling yourself that and you'll sleep better.

I'm sleeping very well, this step just had to be taken. If you all would just calm down and work within the new guidelines, you might like it.

Rapist say the same thing.

If you would just learn to relax you might enjoy it.....

I doubt that's what a violent rapist would say but the calming down part seems appropriate at this point.

* * * [O]n May 18, 2005, even Harry Reid spoke out against the very tactic that he has now enacted.

“The filibuster is not a scheme and it certainly isn't new. The filibuster is far from a procedural gimmick,” Reid said at the time.

It's part of the fabric of this institution we call the Senate. It was well-known in colonial legislatures before we became a country, and it's an integral part of our country's 214-year history. The first filibuster in the United States Congress happened in 1790. It was used by lawmakers from Virginia and South Carolina who were trying to prevent Philadelphia from hosting the first Congress. Since then, the filibuster has been employed hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of times. It's been employed on legislative matters, it's been employed on procedural matters relating to the president's nominations for Cabinet and sub-Cabinet posts, and it's been used on judges for all those years. One scholar estimates that 20 percent of the judges nominated by presidents have fallen by the wayside, most of them as a result of filibusters. Senators have used the filibuster to stand up to popular presidents, to block legislation, and, yes, even, as I've stated, to stall executive nominees. The roots of the filibuster are found in the Constitution and in our own rules.
-- Reid, Clinton, Obama, Biden All Opposed 'Nuclear Option' Eight Years Ago

What a completely bald faced hypocritical piece of shit Reid is.

In 2008, he reiterated that as long as he was leader of the senate the nuclear option wouldn't happen.

Remember how he set up the pro forma senate sessions to stop Bush from making recess nominations, and then rolled over when Obama declared that the senate wasn't actually in session?

Hard to figure out which of these pieces of scum has less respect for the Constitution, their constituents and the role of the Senate -- Reid or Obama?

* * * [O]n May 18, 2005, even Harry Reid spoke out against the very tactic that he has now enacted.

“The filibuster is not a scheme and it certainly isn't new. The filibuster is far from a procedural gimmick,” Reid said at the time.

It's part of the fabric of this institution we call the Senate. It was well-known in colonial legislatures before we became a country, and it's an integral part of our country's 214-year history. The first filibuster in the United States Congress happened in 1790. It was used by lawmakers from Virginia and South Carolina who were trying to prevent Philadelphia from hosting the first Congress. Since then, the filibuster has been employed hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of times. It's been employed on legislative matters, it's been employed on procedural matters relating to the president's nominations for Cabinet and sub-Cabinet posts, and it's been used on judges for all those years. One scholar estimates that 20 percent of the judges nominated by presidents have fallen by the wayside, most of them as a result of filibusters. Senators have used the filibuster to stand up to popular presidents, to block legislation, and, yes, even, as I've stated, to stall executive nominees. The roots of the filibuster are found in the Constitution and in our own rules.

In 2008, he reiterated that as long as he was leader of the senate the nuclear option wouldn't happen.

Remember how he set up the pro forma senate sessions to stop Bush from making recess nominations, and then rolled over when Obama declared that the senate wasn't actually in session?

Hard to figure out which of these pieces of scum has less respect for the Constitution, their constituents and the role of the Senate -- Reid or Obama?

Obama swore during the debates that the shutdown ain't gonna happen.

I'm sleeping very well, this step just had to be taken. If you all would just calm down and work within the new guidelines, you might like it.

Rapist say the same thing.

If you would just learn to relax you might enjoy it.....

I doubt that's what a violent rapist would say but the calming down part seems appropriate at this point.

Ever been raped?

I have, when I was 6 years old.

Has Obama retracted those appointments he made after the Court stated he was out of line?

"After Obama, that changed. Even if everyone agreed the nominee was a perfect candidate, the nominee was still filibustered, solely because Obama nominated him. That hadn't happened before, and was the straw that broke the camel's back."

Do you think untruths like this are helpful?

Nominees were filibustered for many reasons. It was not about Obama. Putting a hold on appointments until other issues were looked at is not filibustering solely because Obama made the nomination. Politics is messy business. Democrats played it too. What Republicans did was not unprecedented in any detail except for the number of filibusters, and that was part of a trend. Democrats escalated the pace of filibusters during Bush's presidency and if a Republican had been elected president again in this polarized, media-saturated, cameras-everywhere age, Democrats would have further escalated their filibusters too.

Please feel free to listen to some other program and go fuck yourself and not necessarily in that order

-Geaux

Get a grip. Or try, at least.

The 1st Amendment isn't a license to say anything you want. With that said, I don't advocate censorship, just discernment. People should be educated enough to separate fact from fiction so they don't get fooled into believing everything from con games to the manipulation of others for their own purposes.

Unfortunately, I've seen ample evidence in my life that some people are easily duped. I mean, there IS a reason why corporate America spends billions of $$ on advertising to put their products in the best possible light or to burnish their own public image. BP's post-gulf oil spill ads touting their care of the environment is a case in point.

But these are PUBLIC airwaves that are licensed by the gov't to operate, and they're becoming an increasingly shrill platform for constant political propaganda without any regard for the truth. I'm talking about 100s of hours a week of propaganda which is specifically meant to enrage people, either for money and profit, or to intentionally create fear.

Either way, the envelope is increasingly being pushed to the point that the public airwaves no longer truly serve the public interest as much as it's being used to serve the political interests of powerful people who have their own agenda. Additionally, those powerful people and their corporate interests increasingly own more and more media outlets all across the country as the old privately owned stations have been gobbled up in much the same way that Walmart has impacted individually owned stores in cities and towns all across America. And the new paradigm of corporate owned stations don't appear to care about the public interest, or their communities. And they sure as hell don't appear to care how they achieve their goals.

The Right's mood swing from last week is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

btw, there are in fact 3 legitimate vacancies on the DC circuit court, contrary to what some idiots are claiming in this thread.

Democrats violated their promises in order to break their rules so they could blow up tradition ostensibly to achieve confirmation of three judges who weren't needed.

I don't think there are enough kittens in the world to help with this.

Democrats violated their promises in order to break their rules so they could blow up tradition ostensibly to achieve confirmation of three judges who weren't needed.

It's who they are, and they have too many stupid followers that don't care that tyranny is on the horizon.

Look this move by democrats is nothing more than to distract the news coverage from Obamacare.

It will last about a day and a half--and then we're back to Obamacare again.

The majority should rule in a democracy.

Get rid of the filibuster forever.

The only reason libs like this power grab is because they think their side will always have the power.

But sooner or later the shoe will be on the other foot.

It's who they are, and they have too many stupid followers that don't care that tyranny is on the horizon.

They don't care as long as they get free stuff. Now if you can't qualify for extended medicade benefits under Obamacare--you're going to pay for it, and if you don't pay for it, you will be fined.

The party is over for Obama lovers. It's clear in the poll numbers--and that is why democrats are in panic mode and actually used the Nuclear Option--that will only benefit Republicans in the future.

record+obamas+2.jpg

Democrats violated their promises in order to break their rules so they could blow up tradition

That's a flat out reversal of reality. Over and over, the Republicans promised to ease off on the filibusters, then broke their word, over and over. Lucy kept pulling away the football, over and over, and now Lucy is angry that Charlie Brown won't play any more.

That's what shattered the comity of the senate, the fact that the Republicans always lied to people's faces and broke all their promises. There's no point in politely negotiating with people who always break their word.

ostensibly to achieve confirmation of three judges who weren't needed.

You're still cheering the Republican court-packing tactic, where they attempted (Sen. Grassley even introduced a bill) to cut judges out of a court in order to leave only conservatives on it. Republicans (and everyone) condemned FDR for such tactics (rightfully), but Republicans now cheer their own side's attempts at court packing. Once more, consistency points to the liberals, hypocrisy points to the conservatives.

Last edited:
The majority should rule in a democracy.

Get rid of the filibuster forever.

The only reason libs like this power grab is because they think their side will always have the power.

But sooner or later the shoe will be on the other foot.

Senate Democrats running for re-election in 2014 in red states know they have no chance what-so-ever of keeping them right now.

The others are extremely worried about losing their seats too.

Americans do not like to be lied to over and over again. Americans are hurting right now, by losing the insurance when they were repeatedly told they could keep them. Now they're quickly finding out that their premiums are doubling or tripling to what they were paying for their now canceled policies.

Nuclear Option or not--they're definitely not going to forget what Obamacare did to them.

images

Forum List

Back