Republican Readies Constitutional Amendment To Ban Gay Marriage

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
I knew it was only a matter of time, but one day? Some people never learn.

The Supreme Court ruling Wednesday that the federal Defense of Marriage Act is unconstitutional isn't stopping Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-Kansas) from trying to block same-sex marriages through another route: by amending the U.S. Constitution.

Huelskamp said he plans to introduce the Federal Marriage Amendment later this week, a measure that would define marriage as between one man and one woman. DOMA did the same thing, but was a federal law, not a constitutional amendment. As such, the Federal Marriage Act is more far-reaching but also a tougher climb. It requires the support of two-thirds of the House and Senate, and ratification by three-fourths of the states, or 38 states.

"This would trump the Supreme Court," Huelskamp told The Huffington Post.

Huelskamp said his bill has no cosponsors yet, but said its language will be almost identical to past Federal Marriage Amendments introduced in Congress. The last time Congress voted on the proposed constitutional amendment was in July 2006, when it failed 236-187. It needed 290 votes to pass. House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) and Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) were among those who voted for the amendment at the time.

How about this Republican, and others like him, back the fuck off and stop telling consenting adults who they can and cannot marry?

How about this Republican, and others like him, back the fuck off and stop telling consenting adults who they can and cannot marry?

Republicans are small government. Until they need the government to dictate what you do in your bedroom. SMALL GOVERNMENT!

What’s the matter with Kansas?

CreationismBoardOfEducation.jpg

why the fuck do the qweers (sic) and lesbos need to marry in the first place ? it sure as hell isn't "love" !

for thousands of years just living together and performing their "qweer" acts, and don't tell me i do not know what the fuck i am talking about, because i have a lesbo SIL who once told me her relationship with another female was just pure lust, there is more but why waste my time ?

That horse has already left the barn

His bill will endear him to the haters in his district and make Republicans look like idiots to the rest of the country

why the fuck do the qweers (sic) and lesbos need to marry in the first place ? it sure as hell isn't "love" !

for thousands of years just living together and performing their "qweer" acts, and don't tell me i do not know what the fuck i am talking about, because i have a lesbo SIL who once told me her relationship with another female was just pure lust, there is more but why waste my time ?

You don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

At least he's doing it the right way via amendment, unlike anti 2nd amendment people who try to ignore it instead of overturning it

How about you stop trying to forcibly change the definition of a word and institution that has existed for thousands of years and then feigning outrage that someone says no?

That would settle the matter once and for all. Gays would finally be able to see if public opinion across the nation really changed and a majority now support same sex marriage.

Just to point out that opposing same sex marriage has nothing to do with what people do in their bedroom.

Republicans are small government. Until they need the government to dictate what you do in your bedroom. SMALL GOVERNMENT!

Opposing the redefinition of marriage is small government. It's redefining marriage that is going to empower the government in more relationships than ever before.

Now gay couples now have to get permission of the government to make commitments to one another, to serve thos commitments. The government now has power to determine how to divide up property between them.

Not to mention your accusation is inaccurate. Defending the definition of marriage doesn't tell anyone what to do in their bedroom. They are absolutely free to continue whatever activity they want. Protecting marriage protects the definition of a marriage union. IE what the relationship is labeled as.

Now if they were trying to get an amendment to ban homosexual activity in your bedroom, then you might have a point about trying to control whats going on in your bedroom.

You don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

Neither do you if you honestly think preserving the current definition of a marriage effects anyone in the bedroom.

House members are up for reelection every two years and that means they start campaigning for the next election the day they are sworn in. This is just part of one Congressman's reelection campaign and it probably reflects his district's beliefs.

Republicans will allow a few blacks to be in their party. It's "for show". But no Muslims and certainly, no gays.

The Supreme Court ruling Wednesday that the federal Defense of Marriage Act is unconstitutional isn't stopping Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-Kansas) from trying to block same-sex marriages through another route: by amending the U.S. Constitution.

Huelskamp said he plans to introduce the Federal Marriage Amendment later this week, a measure that would define marriage as between one man and one woman. DOMA did the same thing, but was a federal law, not a constitutional amendment. As such, the Federal Marriage Act is more far-reaching but also a tougher climb. It requires the support of two-thirds of the House and Senate, and ratification by three-fourths of the states, or 38 states.

Huelskamp said his bill has no cosponsors yet, but said its language will be almost identical to past Federal Marriage Amendments introduced in Congress. The last time Congress voted on the proposed constitutional amendment was in July 2006, when it failed 236-187. It needed 290 votes to pass. House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) and Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) were among those who voted for the amendment at the time.

You do realize that the SCOTUS cannot declare a Constitutional Amendment "unconstitutional," doncha?

He'll never get this off the ground, but if it passed, even the SCOTUS couldn't block it.

Why not let the people decide though? Im not optimistic of it ever passing. Im not sure there is a super majority for it. But why not let us decide through the proper channels whether same sex marriage should be legalized or not? Why should we let unelected judges decide on a fundamental issue of our day?

It's essentially a Federal issue right now as it is. Why not let the people speak?

You do realize that the SCOTUS cannot declare a Constitutional Amendment "unconstitutional," doncha?

He'll never get this off the ground, but if it passed, even the SCOTUS couldn't block it.

The California Supreme Court managed to find an amendment to the California Constitution unconstitutional.

Granted, the court would have a much more difficult time with this one.

This. It's an embarrassment that some in the GOP have cared so deeply about oppressing gay rights ... make no mistake, however: there ARE Republicans out there who are more tolerant, me included.

Forum List

Back