Republicans Can Keep Their 1040 Postcard Idea!

JimofPennsylvan

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2007
There are many bad things about the Republican 2017 Tax Reform Act where the Republicans put politics over doing what was in the best interest of the American people. But one which I think is especially completely indefensible, is idiotic beyond measure, it raises the issue whether the Republican Party thinks the American people are a bunch of morons is the shortening of the Form 1040! Yes, the Republicans shortened the Form 1040 to a large Postcard size form but the only thing they did was essentially to split the old Form 1040 into seven forms because now you have the new Form 1040 plus six other forms called schedule 1 thru 6; of course all Americans won't have to file each of these six schedules but I think very close to half of all filers will need to file at least two, schedule 1 for additions/adjustments to income and schedule 3 for non-refundable credits. The American people heard the Republicans brag about this change and take a lot of bows over it claiming it would make filing taxes easier but truthfully they should have been apologizing to the American people for making this extremely foolish change! This Republican creation of more schedules not only makes filing one's taxes more complicated but it increases the postage cost for sending in one's tax to the Internal Revenue Service because it make the envelope carry the forms heavier. Congress and the President should reverse this change to the process of filing federal tax forms very quickly and if they don't the American people should organize and generate a form they call the Sensible 1040 that combines all these six schedule with the new 1040 on one form and as an act of patriotism Americans en masse when they file their taxes should use this the "Sensible 1040 Form"!

There are many bad things about the Republican 2017 Tax Reform Act where the Republicans put politics over doing what was in the best interest of the American people. But one which I think is especially completely indefensible, is idiotic beyond measure, it raises the issue whether the Republican Party thinks the American people are a bunch of morons is the shortening of the Form 1040! Yes, the Republicans shortened the Form 1040 to a large Postcard size form but the only thing they did was essentially to split the old Form 1040 into seven forms because now you have the new Form 1040 plus six other forms called schedule 1 thru 6; of course all Americans won't have to file each of these six schedules but I think very close to half of all filers will need to file at least two, schedule 1 for additions/adjustments to income and schedule 3 for non-refundable credits. The American people heard the Republicans brag about this change and take a lot of bows over it claiming it would make filing taxes easier but truthfully they should have been apologizing to the American people for making this extremely foolish change! This Republican creation of more schedules not only makes filing one's taxes more complicated but it increases the postage cost for sending in one's tax to the Internal Revenue Service because it make the envelope carry the forms heavier. Congress and the President should reverse this change to the process of filing federal tax forms very quickly and if they don't the American people should organize and generate a form they call the Sensible 1040 that combines all these six schedule with the new 1040 on one form and as an act of patriotism Americans en masse when they file their taxes should use this the "Sensible 1040 Form"!

I was about tearing my hair out trying to figure out where to sign it. Looks like it was designed to hide that line so they could pounce on people (eventually found it --- buried in the fucking middle).

My entire return was something like 18 pages. Cost way more postage than a postcard.

I was about tearing my hair out trying to figure out where to sign it. Looks like it was designed to hide that line so they could pounce on people (eventually found it --- buried in the fucking middle).

My entire return was something like 18 pages. Cost way more postage than a postcard.

So when you sign a form in the middle, and there's more stuff after it ----- doesn't that mean you didn't sign off on what follows?

No, they shouldn't change a thing. In fact, they should change the law so that it says you pay X amount of tax based upon Y percentage.

End of story.

You make 100 dollars and the tax rate is 10%, you pay ten dollars. You make 100 million, you pay 10 million.

No loopholes, not write-offs, no tax shelter. You made X you pay Y.

End of story.

Instead of having to go through 79 line items to see if they pertain to you, now you just have to fill out the schedules that do. Overall, it should be much easier, and a lot less stressful, when you realize this point.
This first time? Maybe a little confusing, but next year people should see how much quicker and easier it will go for most, other than complex taxes. And then it will be less odious than previously.

Forum List

Back