Republicans Say The Size Of Your Tax Refund Doesn’t Matter

And Sen. Chuck Grassley said refunds are a “stupid” way of judging the GOP tax law.

WASHINGTON ― Several million households may be getting a surprise tax bill this filing season because of the new GOP tax law, but Republicans insist nobody should be mad.

The law’s authors argue that people should not evaluate the new tax code based on the size of their refunds because refunds happen when workers have too much money withheld from their paychecks ― not necessarily because their taxes went up.

“Why don’t you write a story saying, ‘You’re stupid to look at your refund to see whether or not you got a tax increase or a decrease,’” Senate Finance Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) told HuffPost this week. “You can’t measure by the refund.”

More: Republicans Say The Size Of Your Tax Refund Doesn't Matter

This sounds like smoke and mirrors to me. What do you think?

I agree. I would rather have the $$$ on payday, not the end of the year. But from what I hear the folks who get that EIC are doing pretty nice.

And Sen. Chuck Grassley said refunds are a “stupid” way of judging the GOP tax law.

WASHINGTON ― Several million households may be getting a surprise tax bill this filing season because of the new GOP tax law, but Republicans insist nobody should be mad.

The law’s authors argue that people should not evaluate the new tax code based on the size of their refunds because refunds happen when workers have too much money withheld from their paychecks ― not necessarily because their taxes went up.

“Why don’t you write a story saying, ‘You’re stupid to look at your refund to see whether or not you got a tax increase or a decrease,’” Senate Finance Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) told HuffPost this week. “You can’t measure by the refund.”

Grassley is a arrogant boob who thinks he is smarter than anyone else. People are not stupid if they want a big refund. Republicans wanted to play politics by changing the withholding tables. instead of letting the old tables remain in place and let people make adjustments after they see that.

It's all GOP smoke and mirrors to help disguise their big tax cuts for the rich. We'll be hearing more complaints from average taxpayers in the coming months.

8ei3_8.gif

Last edited:

Grassley is a arrogant boob who thinks he is smarter than anyone else. People are not stupid if they want a big refund. Republicans wanted to play politics by changing the withholding tables. instead of letting the old tables remain in place and let people make adjustments after they see that.

It's all GOP smoke and mirrors to help disguise their big tax cuts for the rich. We'll be hearing more complaints from average taxpayers in the coming months.

The coastal rich are paying more due to SALT cap. Thats why your handlers (chancy) insisted on the 2.6% tax reduction for the wealthy. To offset the pain coming to big Blue.

If you are having less taken out and held by the govt then you get less of a refund. Having more of your money in your pocket all year is better than waiting for the govt to give it all back each April.
Actually I know a few people who purposefully have too much withheld from their paycheck because they want a bigger tax return.

They look at it as a savings account. You know, the type who live paycheck to paycheck and don't have enough discipline to save or invest any money.
It's very common.

I purposely pay more than I have to in order to avoid worrying about a large payment to the taxman.

Well when people hear tax break they do tend to take that as meaning that they will be getting more money back at the end of the tax year

I would not adjust my with holding until I see what my return looks like at the end of the year especially after things have changes.

yeah if you got a big refund then you can adjust it for next year

still the perception is out there that people are getting less money and there are a lot of variable

Still at this time of year most people returns are simple returns and EIC returns
It was estimated that families earning $25,000 or less will save on average just $60 on their federal tax this year, and those making between $48,600 and $86,100 will save $930

Unexpected or Expected result of Trumps tax plan
Companies are buying back their own stock. Stock buybacks estimated to be a record $1 trillion this year which doesn't help most workers who do not spend money on buying stocks. Workers are waiting for those wage increases that the plan was suppose to encourage but I guess companies had there own plan on what to do with their tax break.

They often hand out shares to keep good workers or entice new hires. In silicon valley they call it "golden hancuffs". You cant afford to leave if they want you to keep working for them. It can be a big part of your annual pay once you start getting some time in......vested.

Yeah they do it but remember Enron

if that company fails then the stock is worthless

Polaroid and United Air are prime examples that did have employee owners but they went bankrupt

people been bitchin about taxes since the dawn of time

here ya go progs ....Someone get AOC on the phone stat
heres a 00.1 percenter Bitch away
enlightened progressive NYC property taxes
i never grumbled about mine while they get slaughtered upstate.

And in no way did this man do anything wrong . he broke no social engineering laws :04:

$238 Million Penthouse Buyer Will Pay A Property Tax Rate Lower Than Many NYC Homeowners
BY ELIZABETH KIM IN NEWS ON FEB 28, 2019 4:33 PM

New York City’s luxury real estate market has a crazy list of loopholes for the wealthy: a tax abatement for affordable housing that somehow managed to benefit those living on Billionaires' Row; buyers who are permitted to mask their identities and potentially nefarious deeds behind anonymous LLCs; builders who have supersized skyscrapers through devious and bizarre designs, and as pointed out by a story in the Wall Street Journal on Thursday, owners who manage to pay relatively minuscule amounts of property tax.
A Central Park South penthouse that was recently purchased by billionaire hedge funder Ken Griffin for $238 million is worth only $9.4 million in the eyes of city tax assessors.
The report underscores the city’s convoluted and inequitable property tax system, which, among other oddities, elects to assess co-ops and condos as if they were rental properties. That means assessors base their estimate of the value of the 23,000-square foot apartment at 220 Central Park South on rental income generated by nearby apartments.

As a result, Griffin will have an annual tax bill that works out roughly $516,500. That is based on an effective tax rate, which is considered the best measure of tax liability, of 0.22 percent. The rate is lower than that of most outer borough homeowners. For example, homeowners in Staten Island can pay an effective tax rate as high as 1.0 percent.
Griffin’s tax liability even bests that of an unidentified buyer who bought a full-floor penthouse for $50.9 million in 2015. That person paid an effective tax rate of 0.42 percent, according to The Real Deal.

To put it another way, Griffen will pay the same effective tax rate paid by Mayor Bill de Blasio for his two homes in Park Slope, both valued at under $2 million.
According to a policy 2016 brief by the Citizens Budget Commission, co-ops and condos in New York City have an average effective tax rate of 0.86 percent.
“It is a crazy system,” Martha Stark, a former city finance commissioner who is now the policy director of Tax Equity Now, told the WSJ. “The true market value bears no relation to sales price, and nowhere is that truer than among high-value coops and condos.”

Tax Equity Now is suing the city over its property tax system, alleging that it unfairly works against renters and low-income and minority property owners.
The city is currently undergoing an effort to evaluate and come up with proposals to reform its property tax system. Last year, the de Blasio administration announced the creations of a Advisory Commission on Property Tax Reform which will set out a list of recommendations to be implemented at both the city and state level.

In the meantime, public furor over Griffen's exorbitant purchase is being leveraged to change policy. On Tuesday, the City Council revived its calls for pied-à-terre tax. Originally sponsored by State Senator Brad Hoylman in 2014, the state bill would levy annual fees on second homes worth $5 million and up. Under the proposed tax, Griffin could be asked to cough up $8,890,000 a year to the city.

That does sound really stupid, and definitely smoke and mirrors. I bet the democrats are pissed the Republicans used it before they could.

Yes, you're stupid if you think an important aspect of your taxes is the refund.

Stupid, stupid, STOOPIT!

You are the stupid arrogant asshole. Republicans would have been smarter to leave the withholding tables alone and let people see where thy stand and let people adjust their withholding if they want.

For some people it is depending on what they want. It is a way to buy something nice for yourself if you want.

I think you're an idiot, and you don't know what a 'refund' is. You sound a lot like that retarded farmer I did taxes for one year after he inherited a big peanut farm in west Texas who was out getting drunk in a bar with his buddies, who were all bragging about their tax refund checks and what they were going to do with them, and got all pissed off that he didn't get one, so I must have screwed him or something. I pointed out he never paid in any taxes, so no reason to expect a 'refund', his entire incomes was some $230,000, all from the government, for not growing anything the previous year. They don't withhold taxes from such payoffs. You have to pay something in in order to get a refund, obviously. He accused me of 'screwing him out of a lot of money' and went to to see the town lawyer, who called me up laughing his ass off at the idiot. He never came back, and I never got any more business from him, thank goodness; nobody really wants business from idiots. He's probably still a rich Republican. You don't need to be smart to be rich, just lucky or crooked.

Yes, you're stupid if you think an important aspect of your taxes is the refund.

Stupid, stupid, STOOPIT!

You are the stupid arrogant asshole. Republicans would have been smarter to leave the withholding tables alone and let people see where thy stand and let people adjust their withholding if they want.

For some people it is depending on what they want. It is a way to buy something nice for yourself if you want.

Wrong. The tax tables should have been adjusted for inflation since they were implemented. In fact the 'personal deduction should also be at the very least minimum wage plus 50%, also adjusted for inflation. Better yet, there should be no taxes on wages at all.

Well when people hear tax break they do tend to take that as meaning that they will be getting more money back at the end of the tax year

I would not adjust my with holding until I see what my return looks like at the end of the year especially after things have changes.

yeah if you got a big refund then you can adjust it for next year

still the perception is out there that people are getting less money and there are a lot of variable

Still at this time of year most people returns are simple returns and EIC returns
It was estimated that families earning $25,000 or less will save on average just $60 on their federal tax this year, and those making between $48,600 and $86,100 will save $930

I guess the tax break was not specific for the early filers. People with children should seem some increase but if you have no children , too bad

Unexpected or Expected result of Trumps tax plan
Companies are buying back their own stock. Stock buybacks estimated to be a record $1 trillion this year which doesn't help most workers who do not spend money on buying stocks. Workers are waiting for those wage increases that the plan was suppose to encourage but I guess companies had there own plan on what to do with their tax break.

Federal debt is rising

Yet Trump is tauting another tax break for the middle class only

Haven't heard him talking that shit since before the mid terms. Wanna know why, because there is no tax cut coming for the middle class and there never was.

If you are having less taken out and held by the govt then you get less of a refund. Having more of your money in your pocket all year is better than waiting for the govt to give it all back each April.
Actually I know a few people who purposefully have too much withheld from their paycheck because they want a bigger tax return.

They look at it as a savings account. You know, the type who live paycheck to paycheck and don't have enough discipline to save or invest any money.
It's very common.

I purposely pay more than I have to in order to avoid worrying about a large payment to the taxman.

Studying the tax tables for your average income bracket goes a long way in helping with that.

Stupid, stupid, STOOPIT!

Their withholdings have nothing to do with the amount of taxes they are required to pay. Stop calling people stuipid when you don't even understand what it is you are talking about.

A tax refund is nothing more than an interest-free loan to the government. Pay the exact amount you owe and get zero dollars in refunds and you'll be better off for it.

Grassley is right...If you have a big refund, you're a moron who lets The State use your money interest free for a year.

It’s pretty scary to think people value a tax refund as some sort of “gift”from the State. It’s your money, not the State’s. Liberals think People’s money is the State’s. Why? Because Liberals think the People ought to work for the State. That is not how and why this Country was found.

The best Federal refund I ever received wax $1. The worst Federal refund I ever received was close to $3,500.

Clueless.jpg

Then pay more to gubmit and let them hold it interest free.

Savings accts aren't exactly paying a fortune in interest.

He is correct.

People have long been duped over this whole tax refund thing. They look forward to the refund like it is a bonus.

It is not a bonus it is your money which they are returning to you

A smaller refund means they did not over tax you. A larger refund means they over taxed you and banked the money and collected interest which you do not get.

It is theft twice over.

Obviously no one wants to owe taxes when they file but receiving a big refund is the real rip off cloaked in smoke and mirrors.

The smartest people try to come as close as they can to breaking even when they file.

News today was the "average size of refunds" is now running similar to last year.. Of course, that's a govt # and most govt numbers are bogus anyway without 3 pages of term definitions.. BUT -- Grassley is right and leftists just have NO CLUE how anything works...

Refunds are NO WAY to judge tax consequences. They are simply miscalculations on the amount of tax owed. And with higher personal exemptions for the 1040EZ filers, and lower tax tables, the # of exemptions on your record is automatically calculated to withhold LESS..

So -- you probably got it in your paycheck if you didn't file long forms...

You didn't know this stuff -- didya?

Nah. You will have to explain it to Shitting Bull. All the idiot wants to do is blame everything on Trump.

You can't cure stupid.

If your refund was lower this year than last...and you didn't see a decent increase in your weekly check...you didn't get shit for a "tax cut"

This isn't rocket surgery

And once again we see yet another clueless progressive leftist having no inkling of what they are talking about.
It's embarrassing. Painful to watch.

Forum List

Back