Republicans storm closed-door hearing to protest impeachment inquiry

House Republicans stormed a closed-door hearing Wednesday morning to protest Democrats' impeachment inquiry process, breaking up the deposition of a top Defense Department official who was testifying about President Trump's dealings with Ukraine.

Awww, poor, unruly Republicans. Crying like babies because they don't have access to those hearings -- even though there are Republicans who serve on the investigating committees; and whining that this isn't an official impeachment inquiry because there was no House vote -- even though there's never been a House rule mandating a full House vote to authorize an impeachment inquiry.

What?? Don't I see Democrats, or at least Left-wingers, constantly protesting? Constantly demanding to be heard? Do not you people on the left, always say "Freedom of Speech!" and "Power to the people!" and so on?

Are not you people the ones that say every time there is a protest, that we should listen to what protesters have to say?

What is different now? Do only the left-wingers, and people you agree with, have the right to protest and make their voices heard?
Republicans are participating in the hearings. You should learn what's going on before you post
Exactly.

There are Republicans on the committees holding hearings, and they are allowed to grill the witnesses for as long as they wish.

This fact has also been kept from the tard herd. Deliberately.
The gop questioning the hearings is not kept from the Trumpstettes unless they limit themselves to …. FAKE NEWS

Because this is an investigation. Like Mueller held investigations in secret. Witnesses cannot co-ordinate testimony.

Has the DOJ followed up the criminal referrals about this Ukraine scandal, the House would not have to do it themselves.

Before the previous impeachments, a Special Prosecutor was named (Cox, Starr, Mueller) held grand jury investigations and produced a report submitted to congress. The William Barr DOJ denied any investigation, a cover up.

Articles of Impeachment will be drafted in public hearings. This is the procedure laid out in the constitution.

Arguing process shows a lack of defense of the allegations. Why aren't Trumpians shouting about the allegations?

Then why not just do it? Quit hiding like a child behind closed doors.

Sunlight is the greatest cleansing agent available.
So witnesses cannot co-ordinate testimony. When are grand jury inquiries public? Why are Special Prosecutor's investigated in public?

As no special prosecutor was named to investigate the Ukraine scandal, the House has to do it themselves.

Except Ukraine is not a scandal.
What happened concerning the Ukraine scandal?

Trump abused the power of his office to secure a quid pro quo benefiting his re-election campaign.

That violates the law.

You're seeing a mirage.
I'm seeing Trump's transcripts, Mulvaney's confession, Giuliani's ravings and the result of witness's opening statements.

What are you seeing?

Over three days, February 1–3, House managers took videotaped closed-door depositions from Monica Lewinsky, Clinton's friend Vernon Jordan, and White House aide Sidney Blumenthal.

Impeachment of Bill Clinton - Wikipedia

Will Closed-Door Benghazi Hearings Keep the Circus Away?

Trey Gowdy: "I can get more information in a five-hour deposition than I can in five minutes of listening to a colleague ask questions in committee hearings," Gowdy said. "If it's about getting the information, then you want to use the investigatory tool that is most calculated and gets you the most amount of information and that's not five minutes in a committee hearing."

Comey grilled for six hours in closed-door House hearing

It's Okay When Republicans Do It!™

Was Hillary president? Then it wasn't an impeachment hearing. You're talking about trying to remove a duly elected president. It's a whole different ballgame than trying to investigate a former sec state WHEN PEOPLE LOST THEIR LIVES.

Democrats have abandoned bipartisan format of Clinton impeachment

Even democrats back then admitted it was bi partisan.

Game set match. Thanks for playing.

But Democrats at the time acknowledged the two parties cooperated significantly when it came to setting the rules for the inquiry, even though most Democratic lawmakers objected to impeachment.

The Clinton impeachment inquiry opened in December 1998 with a bipartisan agreement that the rules would be based on those used in 1974 during the impeachment investigation into President Richard M. Nixon. Those rules provided the minority with some rights, including the power to call witnesses and to seek authority to issue subpoenas

You make this way too easy.

John Conyers even thanked republicans for their efforts to make it fair:

Mr. Chairman, you and I have worked more closely together than at any other time in our careers,” Conyers told Hyde at the launch of the first impeachment hearing, which was open to the public.

“And I want to thank you for the many untold efforts that you have made, including providing Democrats the Watergate rules of operation which we sought.”

Last edited:
House Republicans stormed a closed-door hearing Wednesday morning to protest Democrats' impeachment inquiry process, breaking up the deposition of a top Defense Department official who was testifying about President Trump's dealings with Ukraine.

Awww, poor, unruly Republicans. Crying like babies because they don't have access to those hearings -- even though there are Republicans who serve on the investigating committees; and whining that this isn't an official impeachment inquiry because there was no House vote -- even though there's never been a House rule mandating a full House vote to authorize an impeachment inquiry.

What?? Don't I see Democrats, or at least Left-wingers, constantly protesting? Constantly demanding to be heard? Do not you people on the left, always say "Freedom of Speech!" and "Power to the people!" and so on?

Are not you people the ones that say every time there is a protest, that we should listen to what protesters have to say?

What is different now? Do only the left-wingers, and people you agree with, have the right to protest and make their voices heard?
Republicans are participating in the hearings. You should learn what's going on before you post
Exactly.

There are Republicans on the committees holding hearings, and they are allowed to grill the witnesses for as long as they wish.

This fact has also been kept from the tard herd. Deliberately.
The gop questioning the hearings is not kept from the Trumpstettes unless they limit themselves to …. FAKE NEWS
THE GOP has the right to storm every single one of these Illegal Secret Proceedings and do a Legal Sit Down in Protest.
Nancy-Pelosi-and-the-Grim-Reaper--73218.jpg

Dems are All Over This with their spittle flinging name calling.
They need this secrecy in the worst way to conjour up another spell from their pot stirring witch hunt

Then why not just do it? Quit hiding like a child behind closed doors.

Sunlight is the greatest cleansing agent available.
So witnesses cannot co-ordinate testimony. When are grand jury inquiries public? Why are Special Prosecutor's investigated in public?

As no special prosecutor was named to investigate the Ukraine scandal, the House has to do it themselves.

Except Ukraine is not a scandal.
What happened concerning the Ukraine scandal?

Trump abused the power of his office to secure a quid pro quo benefiting his re-election campaign.

That violates the law.

You're seeing a mirage.
I'm seeing Trump's transcripts, Mulvaney's confession, Giuliani's ravings and the result of witness's opening statements.

What are you seeing?

Trump's transcript of his perfect phone call and Ukraine's leader that he spoke with backing him up 100%!
That's all we need to know as anything else is conspiratorial political bullshit!

Why hide?

Mic drop

Hide?

Tell us how this is different than either the Nixon or Clinton impeachment inquiries, professor.

The dems are playing by the same rules Tres Gowdy played by with Benghazi. No argument.

The gop has no right to insist on open hearings or even for gop house members not on the committee to be invited in.

I really don't care about Bill Clinton. As sad as it is, the House was a more civil place 30 years ago, even with the now disgraced fundy Xian prosecutor asking about BJs

Why hide?

Mic drop

Hide?

Tell us how this is different than either the Nixon or Clinton impeachment inquiries, professor.

See post 123.

mic drop

Let me respond with the popular liberal theme on Trump not making his tax returns public if you have nothing to hide no reason not to release them. If that is going to be the standard let’s apply it to Adam Schiff and the Democrats if they have nothing to hide there is no reason for all this testimony to be done out of sight behind closed doors.

Hillary did not intend to be incredibly reckless with her emails so she’s good to go and Trump did intend to be incredibly careful with his phone call but he’s in big trouble
Lib 101

Over three days, February 1–3, House managers took videotaped closed-door depositions from Monica Lewinsky, Clinton's friend Vernon Jordan, and White House aide Sidney Blumenthal.

Not the same. this was after articles were voted on, and during the actual impeachment process. The house managers were acting as prosecutors during the Trial portion in the Senate.

Although proceedings were delayed due to the bombing of Iraq, on the passage of H. Res. 611, Clinton was impeached on December 19, 1998, by the House of Representatives on grounds of perjury to a grand jury (by a 228–206 vote)[19]

Next time read harder.
You seem to think witnesses can only be interviewed behind closed doors on a Tuesday after 7 pm when it is raining and it is a Republican hearing.

You can keep moving the goalposts, parrot, but it isn't working.

The purpose of a closed door hearing does not change with the party in power or the matter being investigated. Try to get that through your thick skull.

The goalposts aren't being moved. I am providing the facts of the situation you are falsely trying to present as an equivalent situation to what is described in the OP.

The "closed sessions" during the ACTUAL IMPEACHMENT were depositions given to create a record of the testimony. As in any trial the depositions are given as a written backup to the questioning testimony during the live trial. Depositions by their nature are not open to the public.

Be man enough to admit you were wrong and the two situations are not even remotely similar.

I figure you are too far gone to even be honest enough.
The Republicans have held closed door hearings on matters much smaller than impeachment. So your argument fails on its merits right out of the gate.

Nice try.

Wow, you can't even admit that you were wrong.

What a pathetic excuse for a human being you are.

Who's moving goalposts now?

Yes, because Dems have never pulled theatrics like this before.

Except when they do it the milquetoast press calls it "protesting" or "asserting their rights", or "forcefully proclaiming"

And the orwellian twats such as yourself ignore the obvious gaming of the language because you are either to stupid to figure it out, or too partisan hackish to care.
LOLOL

Oh look ^^^ a whataboutism.
Look how this is casting democrats.. this is all going to be used against you.. I’m kinda for it lol

But we seen how embarrassed democrats are in the open hearings so I’m torn lol
I see where it's going... support for impeaching and removing trump is growing while trump's approval rate is falling.

No, bullshit polls saying support for impeachment is growing are being made up by the MSM dems in press clothing.

Except when they do it the milquetoast press calls it "protesting" or "asserting their rights", or "forcefully proclaiming"

And the orwellian twats such as yourself ignore the obvious gaming of the language because you are either to stupid to figure it out, or too partisan hackish to care.
LOLOL

Look how this is casting democrats.. this is all going to be used against you.. I’m kinda for it lol

I see where it's going... support for impeaching and removing trump is growing while trump's approval rate is falling.

No, bullshit polls saying support for impeachment is growing are being made up by the MSM dems in press clothing.
LOLOL

You go, girl.

Not the same. this was after articles were voted on, and during the actual impeachment process. The house managers were acting as prosecutors during the Trial portion in the Senate.

Although proceedings were delayed due to the bombing of Iraq, on the passage of H. Res. 611, Clinton was impeached on December 19, 1998, by the House of Representatives on grounds of perjury to a grand jury (by a 228–206 vote)[19]

Next time read harder.
You seem to think witnesses can only be interviewed behind closed doors on a Tuesday after 7 pm when it is raining and it is a Republican hearing.

You can keep moving the goalposts, parrot, but it isn't working.

The purpose of a closed door hearing does not change with the party in power or the matter being investigated. Try to get that through your thick skull.

The goalposts aren't being moved. I am providing the facts of the situation you are falsely trying to present as an equivalent situation to what is described in the OP.

The "closed sessions" during the ACTUAL IMPEACHMENT were depositions given to create a record of the testimony. As in any trial the depositions are given as a written backup to the questioning testimony during the live trial. Depositions by their nature are not open to the public.

Be man enough to admit you were wrong and the two situations are not even remotely similar.

I figure you are too far gone to even be honest enough.

Factually, there are so many mistakes in your post that its not even gibberish, Marty. To begin with, congressional proceedings and hearings have entirely different rules from any civil or criminal court proceeding.

Congress has no duty, under either party, to make any hearing, or portion of a hearing, public. And the gop has hid stuff too.

But as G5000 posted, the dems have every intention of making all information from the Schiff hearings public, eventually. They are not making it public now because they don't want tomorrows' witnesses to know exactly what someone else said. But the dems' entire purpose is to build some facts that embarrassing show Trump as a person who misused his power. They know the gop senate isn't kicking Trump out. But they want to build facts for the campaign.

Tres Gowdy tried the same thing with Benahazigate.

My post only referred to the comparison of these hearings to depositions held by Congressional Managers during the formal Impeachment Trial held in the Senate.

What G5000 referenced had no relation to what is currently going on, it was a specific case for an actual Impeachment trial, held AFTER articles of Impeachment were passed in the House.

Try reading my posts and what I am referencing before spewing out a moronic blanket statement that doesn't even address the point I was making

LOLOL

LOLOL

You go, girl.

You got nothing, hack

LOLOL

LOLOL

You go, girl.

You got nothing, hack
LOLOL

Aww, you don't like my reply to your, nuh-uh post?

Too bad, get over it.

Forum List

Back