Republicans to repeal inheritance tax!

The party of the rich, for the rich, by the rich. Once again, the wolves shear the sheep while the sheep cheer them on.

Republicans Push 269 Billion Handout For Millionaire Heirs And Heiresses

excerpt:

WASHINGTON -- House Republicans this week will vote to hand the heirs and heiresses of America's largest fortunes a $269 billion tax break by repealing the federal inheritance tax.

The legislation would shield the very richest families from taxes on the fortunes they inherit. After years of GOP attacks on the inheritance tax, also known as the estate tax, only a few thousand of the wealthiest families are subjected to it -- 4,700 total in 2013, according to the Joint Committee on Taxation. Only individual fortunes worth over $5.43 million can be taxed under current law, an amount that doubles to $10.86 million for wealthy couples. The Republican proposal would eliminate all of these estates -- which are over 15,700 percent richer than the median American household -- from taxation.

Inheritance taxes effect everyone....Dumbass.

In 2008, for instance, the estate tax collected about $29 billion from fewer than 20,000 estates—the wealthiest 1% of the 2.5 million people who died that year.

The Estate Tax Is Fair and We Need the Revenue - WSJ

The amount an individual can leave to heirs without having to pay federal estate tax—will be $5.43 million in 2015, up from $5.34 million for 2014
IRS Announces 2015 Estate And Gift Tax Limits - Forbes
If it passes in the Senate I'm sure there is a veto pen waiting.
For no reason other than mindless, bigoted partisanship.
A swing and a miss.
Hardly.
Estate tax is a progressive idea designed to redistribute wealth, held onto by progressives for no other reason than it is a progressive idea that redistributes wealth.
And thus, mindless, bigoted partisanship.

The party of the rich, for the rich, by the rich. Once again, the wolves shear the sheep while the sheep cheer them on.

excerpt:

WASHINGTON -- House Republicans this week will vote to hand the heirs and heiresses of America's largest fortunes a $269 billion tax break by repealing the federal inheritance tax.

The legislation would shield the very richest families from taxes on the fortunes they inherit. After years of GOP attacks on the inheritance tax, also known as the estate tax, only a few thousand of the wealthiest families are subjected to it -- 4,700 total in 2013, according to the Joint Committee on Taxation. Only individual fortunes worth over $5.43 million can be taxed under current law, an amount that doubles to $10.86 million for wealthy couples. The Republican proposal would eliminate all of these estates -- which are over 15,700 percent richer than the median American household -- from taxation.

In 2008, for instance, the estate tax collected about $29 billion from fewer than 20,000 estates—the wealthiest 1% of the 2.5 million people who died that year.

No kidding?

Since the upper crust owns most of the money and property....that makes sense.

Tennessee can take 50% even if you aren't in the 1% however.

The opening line:

Is it fair for Paris Hilton to inherit her great-grandfather Conrad's fortune without paying any tax on it?

Fair? I don't want the government deciding what is "fair".

Okay, here's the choice: Paris Hilton gets her great-grandfather's money or...the government gets it.

As much as I don't like her, I am going to go with Paris Hilton getting the money.

Just because Paris does not "deserve" it, that does not mean the government does. Again, I don't want the government deciding who "deserves" something. That is total bullshit.

So I would go with what the person who earned that money would want. If he wanted the government to have it, he would have given it to the government. He obviously wanted his kin to get it.

a 2005 analysis by CBO of the pre-2001 rules indicated that only one percent (or 520) of the estates taxed in 2000 were family-held businesses, and just three percent were the estates of farmers.

excerpt:

No kidding?

Since the upper crust owns most of the money and property....that makes sense.

Tennessee can take 50% even if you aren't in the 1% however.

That may very well be in Tennessee. Several states have an estate tax as well. 50% sounds a bit too high.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfoundation.org/files/docs/Estate and Inheritance taxes_0.png

What the loon OP doesn't realize is that the Inheritance Tax hits small family businesses and farms the most. Really rich people have already protected their wealth in trusts.

An inheritance tax is not a tax on the dead, it's a tax on the income of the living who get the inheritance. If it's okay to tax a waiter's tips, or a senior's social security,

then it should be okay to tax a massive windfall of income for someone who didn't do anything to earn it.

An inheritance tax is not a tax on the dead, it's a tax on the income of the living who get the inheritance. If it's okay to tax a waiter's tips, or a senior's social security,

then it should be okay to tax a massive windfall of income for someone who didn't do anything to earn it.
The government didn't do anything to earn it, either.

The opening line:

Is it fair for Paris Hilton to inherit her great-grandfather Conrad's fortune without paying any tax on it?

Okay, here's the choice: Paris Hilton gets her great-grandfather's money or...the government gets it.

As much as I don't like her, I am going to go with Paris Hilton getting the money.

Just because Paris does not "deserve" it, that does not mean the government does. Again, I don't want the government deciding who "deserves" something. That is total bullshit.

So I would go with what the person who earned that money would want. If he wanted the government to have it, he would have given it to the government. He obviously wanted his kin to get it.

"So, taxing large inheritances serves to back up gaps in other taxes. That's especially vital now, as we face a dangerous imbalance between federal spending and revenue. Yes, spending must be cut, but we must also have enough tax revenue to keep the government running. If we kill the estate tax, the money will have to come from somebody else.

Some argue the tax is too small to be meaningful, so why bother? But the amount raised is not chump change. In 2008, the tax contributed less than 1% of federal revenue, but it was enough to pay for about three-quarters of the total expenditures of the Department of Homeland Security that year."

Onto lowering the Corporate Tax Rate and ditching the Income Tax. You're gettin there Republicans. Keep up the good work.

The opening line:

"So, taxing large inheritances serves to back up gaps in other taxes. That's especially vital now, as we face a dangerous imbalance between federal spending and revenue. Yes, spending must be cut, but we must also have enough tax revenue to keep the government running. If we kill the estate tax, the money will have to come from somebody else.

Some argue the tax is too small to be meaningful, so why bother? But the amount raised is not chump change. In 2008, the tax contributed less than 1% of federal revenue, but it was enough to pay for about three-quarters of the total expenditures of the Department of Homeland Security that year."
Ban all tax expenditures and we will have a humongous revenue surplus. Then we can lower everyone's tax rates and still pay down the debt.

This has the added benefit of people earning identical incomes paying identical taxes. That's as fair as it gets.

Estate tax is a progressive idea designed to redistribute wealth, held onto by progressives for no other reason than it is a progressive idea that redistributes wealth.
Nothing more, nothing less.

It's nothing new that for sure.

"We grudge no man a fortune in civil life if it is honorably obtained and well used. It is not even enough that it should have been gained without doing damage to the community. We should permit it to be gained only so long as the gaining represents benefit to the community … The really big fortune, the swollen fortune, by the mere fact of its size, acquires qualities which differentiate it in kind as well as in degree from what is possessed by men of relatively small means. Therefore, I believe in a graduated income tax on big fortunes, and … a graduated inheritance tax on big fortunes, properly safeguarded against evasion, and increasing rapidly in amount with the size of the estate."

Teddy Roosevelt on the Estate Tax 100 Years Ago On Point with Tom Ashbrook

The party of the rich, for the rich, by the rich. Once again, the wolves shear the sheep while the sheep cheer them on.(REPUBLICANS)

Republicans, party of the rich eh?
Bet you think "Reaganomics" was bad right? You know...trickle down voodoonomics?
Right? Benefits the rich only...right?
Well...did you know that President Obama has embraced and practices the largest trickle down economics this country has ever seen? No President has even come REMOTELY close to the trickle down policies than the current President. PERIOD.
Did you know that Obama has taken the "fleecing of America" -- that is taking taxpayer dollars and handing it straight over to the central banks/Wall Street Firms/Super Corporations more than any other President in history?
Did you know that this President is the greatest ally to corporatism than Reagan or Bush could possibly have ever been?
And I am not even talking about the corporate/investor class windfall of Obamacare....

[Flip] -- here's a nickel kid. Go buy some bubble gum and go back to playing WoW.

It's nothing new that for sure.
And no reason to keep it other than mindless, bigoted partisanship.

I wonder how this tax elimination will be paid for.
Well, unfortunately the Republican party has become very hypocritical about this kind of thing. If Obama proposes something which costs money, they stonewall it on the excuse that it is not paid for. They claim they do this in the name of fiscal responsibility.

But repealing a tax and not making up the difference? Shhhhh!

One of the first acts of the GOP Congress under Bush was to repeal PayGo.

I wonder how this tax elimination will be paid for.

while Reagan had the RW's running around all happy with big dog tax cuts, he raised taxes 11 times when they weren't paying attention ... smoke meet mirror.

I have absolutely no problem with this.... why is the government entitled to a cut of what I have earned and chose to leave to my heirs?

You're not one of them

4,700 total in 2013

Uhm.. what? Not one of who?
Schlep is an illiterate moron. He thinks that what he thinks is magically translated via his disjointed, ungrammatical and senseless gruntings. If you don't understand his idiocy, it means you're a racist.

My advice is that you never ask him to explain. He's incapable of higher thinking.

Forum List

Back