Republicans to repeal inheritance tax!

"So, taxing large inheritances serves to back up gaps in other taxes. That's especially vital now, as we face a dangerous imbalance between federal spending and revenue. Yes, spending must be cut, but we must also have enough tax revenue to keep the government running. If we kill the estate tax, the money will have to come from somebody else.
Estate tax is a progressive idea designed to redistribute wealth, held onto by progressives for no other reason than it is a progressive idea that redistributes wealth.
Nothing more, nothing less.
It's nothing new that for sure.
And no reason to keep it other than mindless, bigoted partisanship.

The reasons Teddy was for it still stand today, even though you seem to have removed his quote.

"We grudge no man a fortune in civil life if it is honorably obtained and well used. It is not even enough that it should have been gained without doing damage to the community. We should permit it to be gained only so long as the gaining represents benefit to the community … The really big fortune, the swollen fortune, by the mere fact of its size, acquires qualities which differentiate it in kind as well as in degree from what is possessed by men of relatively small means. Therefore, I believe in a graduated income tax on big fortunes, and … a graduated inheritance tax on big fortunes, properly safeguarded against evasion, and increasing rapidly in amount with the size of the estate."

GOP got rid of that however!

A power to dispose of estates for ever is manifestly absurd. The earth and the fulness of it belongs to every generation, and the preceding one can have no right to bind it up from posterity. Such extension of property is quite unnatural. Thomas Jefferson

2a5517344bf4c7dae63ba658f36551fc.jpg

False dichotomy.

The decedents of a wealthy person did NOT accumulate or earn the income.

They did nothing to generate the income.

They did nothing to produce the industry/jobs/innovations that produced the fortune.

What did the government do to earn that money? What did the government do to generate that income? What did the government produce that created that fortune?

Someone please explain why the government should seize Paris Hilton's inheritance instead of it going to Paris Hilton as her great-grandpa intended. Explain how this is "fair".

Death, Taxes, and the American Founders

But in the case of the estate tax, the founders struggled with the same issues that we struggle with today. And many of them—though not all—believed that taxing and reducing large estates was a good idea, for it benefited society as a whole. -

History News Network Death Taxes and the American Founders
I have quoted Thomas Jefferson's thoughts on the concentration of wealth many times on this forum. He proposed a progressive tax system, with those below a certain income not being taxed at all.

Just like we have today.

He also proposed eliminating primogeniture, which in itself suggests he believed in children receiving their inheritance. He just didn't think only the oldest son should receive it all.

Paris Hilton is not the oldest son.

Just the way Jefferson wanted it.

REALLY? Progressive taxation when the richest 400 pay a smaller percentage than the middle class??

lol

Does allowing a small number of families to accumulate great wealth -- increasing from generation to generation -- harm democracy? The United States Constitution's ban on inherited titles met with unanimous approval because of the perceived threat posed by lords and earls to a democratic republic. Similarly, Americans have always understood that establishing a small group of families with seemingly unlimited wealth, social privilege, and political power undermines a fundamental American principle: that all citizens are legally and politically equal.

Some founders wanted to eliminate inheritance entirely. In a letter to James Madison, Thomas Jefferson suggested that all property be redistributed every fifty years, because"the earth belongs in usufruct to the living." Madison gently pointed out the plan's impracticality. Benjamin Franklin unsuccessfully pushed for the first Pennsylvania constitution to declare concentrated wealth"a danger to the happiness of mankind."

History News Network Death Taxes and the American Founders

For those who haven't figured it out by now, I believe in a leveling of the playing field. Haggling over the edges of an entirely broken and corrupt system is for suckers.

Every fucking day another ignorant brain dead asshole communist dick head posts a fucking liberal talking point.

The fucking left wing sheep have no fucking clue what kind of unmitigated disaster the death tax has been in countries that have tried it.

They sure as fuck have no fucking clue that the money has already been taxed.

Instead I have to read more utter cliche bullshit from yet another moron liberal who chants more stuff about "party of the rich."

Fuck you. Fuck all of these god damn pinko commie sheep. Fucking ignorant moronic pawns!

They did nothing to produce the industry/jobs/innovations that produced the fortune.

What did the government do to earn that money? What did the government do to generate that income? What did the government produce that created that fortune?

Did they earn it BECAUSE of US society AND our laws? Hell yeah!

Does allowing a small number of families to accumulate great wealth -- increasing from generation to generation -- harm democracy?

You are full of crap.

Where are the Vanderbilts? When's the last time one was in the news?

The grandson of John D. Rockefeller is nowhere near as wealthy as his grandfather in real dollars. Not even close.

Our inheritance system breaks up great wealth into tiny grains of sand over time already.

Every fucking day another ignorant brain dead asshole communist dick head posts a fucking liberal talking point.

The fucking left wing sheep have no fucking clue what kind of unmitigated disaster the death tax has been in countries that have tried it.

They sure as fuck have nu fucking clue that the money has already been taxed.

Instead I have to read more utter cliche bullshit from yet another moron liberal who chants more stuff about "party of the rich."

Fuck you. Fuck all of these god damn pinko commie sheep. Fucking ignorant moronic pawns!

HOW has MOST of that money been taxed as it's just capital gains that has NEVER been taken out? Buy a bunch of stock at $1 million and sell it 30 years later for $50 million ONLY dividends have been paid!

The party of the rich, for the rich, by the rich. Once again, the wolves shear the sheep while the sheep cheer them on.

Republicans Push 269 Billion Handout For Millionaire Heirs And Heiresses

excerpt:

WASHINGTON -- House Republicans this week will vote to hand the heirs and heiresses of America's largest fortunes a $269 billion tax break by repealing the federal inheritance tax.

The legislation would shield the very richest families from taxes on the fortunes they inherit. After years of GOP attacks on the inheritance tax, also known as the estate tax, only a few thousand of the wealthiest families are subjected to it -- 4,700 total in 2013, according to the Joint Committee on Taxation. Only individual fortunes worth over $5.43 million can be taxed under current law, an amount that doubles to $10.86 million for wealthy couples. The Republican proposal would eliminate all of these estates -- which are over 15,700 percent richer than the median American household -- from taxation.

That money has already been taxed. The federal govt has no right to double taxation.

For those who haven't figured it out by now, I believe in a leveling of the playing field. Haggling over the edges of an entirely broken and corrupt system is for suckers.

Estates taxes is a good way to level the playing field, to get rid of the aristocracy the Founders wanted to get away from!

The party of the rich, for the rich, by the rich. Once again, the wolves shear the sheep while the sheep cheer them on.

excerpt:

WASHINGTON -- House Republicans this week will vote to hand the heirs and heiresses of America's largest fortunes a $269 billion tax break by repealing the federal inheritance tax.

The legislation would shield the very richest families from taxes on the fortunes they inherit. After years of GOP attacks on the inheritance tax, also known as the estate tax, only a few thousand of the wealthiest families are subjected to it -- 4,700 total in 2013, according to the Joint Committee on Taxation. Only individual fortunes worth over $5.43 million can be taxed under current law, an amount that doubles to $10.86 million for wealthy couples. The Republican proposal would eliminate all of these estates -- which are over 15,700 percent richer than the median American household -- from taxation.

That money has already been taxed. The federal govt has no right to double taxation.

I tell my gardener that every year when he asked why I need to 1099 him!

Estates taxes s a good way to level the playing field, to get rid of the aristocracy the Founders wanted to get away from!
How is a special tax for a specific group of people a level playing field?

It isn't.

excerpt:

Do you even pay your gardener?

excerpt:

Do you even pay your gardener?
In pesos.

Did they earn it BECAUSE of US society AND our laws? Hell yeah!

The government didn't do squat to 'earn' someone elses money. Period. Someone's money -- no matter how much or how little -- DOES NOT belong to the government or society, no matter how much you bleat otherwise.

They started businesses, provided jobs, security, growth, prosperity ... and you somehow believe that entitles YOU to what they've earned/accumulated? Why didn't YOU start that business? Why didn't YOU take on that financial risk? Why didn't YOU take on the investments?

Moochers gotta mooch.

What a family earns/accumulates belongs to the family, NOT to you, not to 'society', and certainly not to the fucking government. You want to be in the rich league, go for it. It's a nice place to live.

They sure as fuck have no fucking clue that the money has already been taxed.

LMFAO. Damn dude, best fucking post I have ever seen you write. What a melt down. Your anger. your rage. It's priceless.

Estates taxes s a good way to level the playing field, to get rid of the aristocracy the Founders wanted to get away from!
How is a special tax for a specific group of people a level playing field?

It isn't.

Really? Seriously you don't think it creates a MUCH larger imbalance by starting out on 3rd base like Romney/Bush's did?

Get honest!

Forum List

Back