Rest in Peace Muhammad Ali

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a racist post, which supports Clay's racism which he demonstrated at the time that he refused the draft, by putting the Vietnam War into racial terms (as Blacks so often do with most everything in life).

What a pile of crap. The Vietnam War was a disgusting and idiotic screwup by the American leaders of the time, but it really wasn't a racial thing. Blacks have a way of making everything be about race, and Clay (note that I don't refer to a dopey Muslim name) was no exception.

As for your moronic claim of "RW conservatism/racism", there is no such thing. There is however very much so > LEFT wing liberal racism, in the form of AFFIRMATIVE ACTION, the # 1 racism in America, victimizing, by far, the largest number of people (whites), for 55 years now (except in 8 states where it is banned).

And for Clay, there was no "Jim Crow and a plethora of other racial atrocities as the backdrop of his refusal to be drafted" His refusal came in 1968, well after the end of Jim Crow, a few years well into the civil rights laws, and 7 years after the beginning of affirmative action.

And Clay could have served. I opposed the Vietnam War too, and I went out in the street and protested it. That didn't stop me from joining the military (Army National Guard) and putting in 6 years of service to the nation and state, and serving in national defense, 2 riots, 2 blackouts, and 3 floods. If I had been called to go to Vietnam THEN I would have refused it. Instead, I served, am now a veteran, I receive VA benefits in a pension, and a lot of free medical care from the VA. Clay could have done the same thing, but as a Muslim, he had no allegiance to the USA, as all Muslims owe no allegiance to any nation on earth, they owe allegiance only to the Ummah. In essence, Clay was a traitor to this country, as are all Muslims who claim they cannot serve in the US military, because of their religion (which isn't even a religion at all)

What I wonder about is why wasn't he jailed. I recall lots of guys left the country, and went to Canada, others went to jail, rather than accept the draft. How did Clay get around that ?
True.
No, Protectionist is a lying racist idiot. I thought you were of better character …thanks for showing your true colors..
. Thanks for expecting what you felt is a mindless loyalist to tow your line. I'm glad she had an open mind when she read that. You might want to take a step back sometimes to re-evaluate your own opinions as well... Don't tow the line all the time.
When you agree with someone who disparages the entire Black population at every turn and then directs his vile ad hominem attacks at a deceased Black man who is held in the highest esteem in every country, you are no friend of mine. I know where you stand and I want you to know that. Joining the national guard was a cowards way out of Vietnam so I hold no respect for Protectionist for his joining the pansy NG in war time. The difference between him and muhammad Ali is that Ali had the courage to look his domestic enemies in the eye and tell them NO, I won't go. Protectionist took the easy way out through the NG. Now he also claims he would have refused as Ali did if he was ordered to go to 'Nam. He is a damned liar or a fraud, take your pick. real RWers are supposed to be John Wayne types, right? Well would JW have joined the NG to get out of going to combat? Hardly…. Now iif Bodeca falls for the crap Protectionist spews, that is her right. Just be consistent. I am wary of her now.
The dumbest excuse Ali ever uttered was "No Viet Cong ever called me a ******". Neither did they call the white boy who had to take his place call him a "cracker".

The white boy was never refused service in a restaurant because of the color of his skin. When were white boys beaten (and often murdered) for wanting equality and to be able to vote? And you can bet if a black man bombed a church and killed 4 little white girls, there would have been serious prosecution by the gov't.

Putting the word "African" in front of the word "American" is absurd. Blacks is the correct term to describe black people, not African-American. Blacks in America have no connection to Africa whatsoever,. They don't speak African languages, they don't understand African cultures (of which there are many), and few of them have ever set foot in Africa.

And where were they taken from? "Blackland"?

You refer to Native Americans as "Red"? Asians as "Yellow" and "Brown"?
. If one is born in a country and immigrates here, then it's customary for these 1st generation Americans to hyphenate I.e. German-American, Irish-American, Kenyan-American. When you're born in America, you don't hyphenate. Other than Australians, nobody calls themselves as [continent name]-American because the remaining continents have defined countries within them. Nobody says "I'm North American-American. That would be dumb. So is calling oneself, African-American. What country is called Africa?

Personally, I don't think 1st generation Americans should hyphenate either. When they swear allegiance to America, they are no longer Kenyans, Russians or whatever. America is supposed to be a melting pot. That's what makes us great. Black people separate themselves from the "pot" by calling themselves African-Americans. Maybe it's time to drop the old ways.
Totally ridiculous post

They call themselves African because their identities and traditions were taken away. The so-called "countries" of Africa were European colonies that had nothing to do with their tribal affiliations

What is wrong with expanding your definition of American? An African American is offensive to you as is Italian or Irish American.
Why not a Teacan American or elderly American or rural American? It helps identify the culture you identify with
. I don't see the leaders of Kenya calling their country anything other than Kenya. Same for the others. It shows that continent of jungle people wanting to be part of civilized society, otherwise they'd call themselves Umgowans or other tribal names. Hyphenating promotes multi-culturalism which is tearing our country apart. A goal of you leftist. I will never call somebody African-American because that is stupid.

This is a racist post, which supports Clay's racism which he demonstrated at the time that he refused the draft, by putting the Vietnam War into racial terms (as Blacks so often do with most everything in life).

What a pile of crap. The Vietnam War was a disgusting and idiotic screwup by the American leaders of the time, but it really wasn't a racial thing. Blacks have a way of making everything be about race, and Clay (note that I don't refer to a dopey Muslim name) was no exception.

As for your moronic claim of "RW conservatism/racism", there is no such thing. There is however very much so > LEFT wing liberal racism, in the form of AFFIRMATIVE ACTION, the # 1 racism in America, victimizing, by far, the largest number of people (whites), for 55 years now (except in 8 states where it is banned).

And for Clay, there was no "Jim Crow and a plethora of other racial atrocities as the backdrop of his refusal to be drafted" His refusal came in 1968, well after the end of Jim Crow, a few years well into the civil rights laws, and 7 years after the beginning of affirmative action.

And Clay could have served. I opposed the Vietnam War too, and I went out in the street and protested it. That didn't stop me from joining the military (Army National Guard) and putting in 6 years of service to the nation and state, and serving in national defense, 2 riots, 2 blackouts, and 3 floods. If I had been called to go to Vietnam THEN I would have refused it. Instead, I served, am now a veteran, I receive VA benefits in a pension, and a lot of free medical care from the VA. Clay could have done the same thing, but as a Muslim, he had no allegiance to the USA, as all Muslims owe no allegiance to any nation on earth, they owe allegiance only to the Ummah. In essence, Clay was a traitor to this country, as are all Muslims who claim they cannot serve in the US military, because of their religion (which isn't even a religion at all)

What I wonder about is why wasn't he jailed. I recall lots of guys left the country, and went to Canada, others went to jail, rather than accept the draft. How did Clay get around that ?
True.
No, Protectionist is a lying racist idiot. I thought you were of better character …thanks for showing your true colors..
. Thanks for expecting what you felt is a mindless loyalist to tow your line. I'm glad she had an open mind when she read that. You might want to take a step back sometimes to re-evaluate your own opinions as well... Don't tow the line all the time.
When you agree with someone who disparages the entire Black population at every turn and then directs his vile ad hominem attacks at a deceased Black man who is held in the highest esteem in every country, you are no friend of mine. I know where you stand and I want you to know that. Joining the national guard was a cowards way out of Vietnam so I hold no respect for Protectionist for his joining the pansy NG in war time. The difference between him and muhammad Ali is that Ali had the courage to look his domestic enemies in the eye and tell them NO, I won't go. Protectionist took the easy way out through the NG. Now he also claims he would have refused as Ali did if he was ordered to go to 'Nam. He is a damned liar or a fraud, take your pick. real RWers are supposed to be John Wayne types, right? Well would JW have joined the NG to get out of going to combat? Hardly…. Now iif Bodeca falls for the crap Protectionist spews, that is her right. Just be consistent. I am wary of her now.
The dumbest excuse Ali ever uttered was "No Viet Cong ever called me a ******". Neither did they call the white boy who had to take his place a "cracker".

One of the dumbest posts of the month that ignores Jim Crow America in 1965

Our nation had bigger priorities in 1965 than defending a corrupt, tin pot democracy thousands of miles away

Putting the word "African" in front of the word "American" is absurd. Blacks is the correct term to describe black people, not African-American. Blacks in America have no connection to Africa whatsoever,. They don't speak African languages, they don't understand African cultures (of which there are many), and few of them have ever set foot in Africa.

And where were they taken from? "Blackland"?

You refer to Native Americans as "Red"? Asians as "Yellow" and "Brown"?
. If one is born in a country and immigrates here, then it's customary for these 1st generation Americans to hyphenate I.e. German-American, Irish-American, Kenyan-American. When you're born in America, you don't hyphenate. Other than Australians, nobody calls themselves as [continent name]-American because the remaining continents have defined countries within them. Nobody says "I'm North American-American. That would be dumb. So is calling oneself, African-American. What country is called Africa?

Personally, I don't think 1st generation Americans should hyphenate either. When they swear allegiance to America, they are no longer Kenyans, Russians or whatever. America is supposed to be a melting pot. That's what makes us great. Black people separate themselves from the "pot" by calling themselves African-Americans. Maybe it's time to drop the old ways.
Totally ridiculous post

They call themselves African because their identities and traditions were taken away. The so-called "countries" of Africa were European colonies that had nothing to do with their tribal affiliations

What is wrong with expanding your definition of American? An African American is offensive to you as is Italian or Irish American.
Why not a Teacan American or elderly American or rural American? It helps identify the culture you identify with
. I don't see the leaders of Kenya calling their country anything other than Kenya. Same for the others. It shows that continent of jungle people wanting to enter civilized society. Hyphenating promotes multi-culturalism which is tearing our country apart. A goal of you leftist. I will never call somebody African-American because that is stupid.

Hyphenating does not take away from your Americanism...it helps to define it

America is not one culture. The south has a different culture than the north. Rural America has a different culture than urban America. Orthodox Jews have a different culture than Southern Baptists.

The dumbest excuse Ali ever uttered was "No Viet Cong ever called me a ******". Neither did they call the white boy who had to take his place call him a "cracker".

The white boy was never refused service in a restaurant because of the color of his skin. When were white boys beaten (and often murdered) for wanting equality and to be able to vote? And you can bet if a black man bombed a church and killed 4 little white girls, there would have been serious prosecution by the gov't.
Ali didn't mention that. He specifically said no Viet Cong called him a ******. Like that is a valid excuse. Every ethnicity has faced discrimination. Look at the Irish, Japenese, Germans,. They overcame and moved on. Black self-victimhood is becoming an industry.

Oh and don't be so sure if four white boys where murdered for racial reasons this regime in Washington would be quick to prosecute if at all.

Elvis Presley served during the cold war from 1958 to 1960. He was in Germany in a tank unit at that time. I knew he was in Germany, but thought it was way earlier than that... oh well, now I know... LOL

Ali didn't mention that. He specifically said no Viet Cong called him a ******. Like that is a valid excuse. Every ethnicity has faced discriminations. Look at the Irish, Japenese, Germans,. They overcame and moved on. Black self-victimhood is becoming an industry.

Comparing the race-baiters of today with the atrocities against the blacks in the 1960s is simply disingenuous.

Moved on and overcame? Blacks were given the vote in 1869. People trying to get blacks to vote were murdered 100 years later. So don't pretend that there was not a serious, violent movement against blacks.

The dumbest excuse Ali ever uttered was "No Viet Cong ever called me a ******". Neither did they call the white boy who had to take his place a "cracker".

Our nation had bigger priorities in 1965 than defending a corrupt, tin pot democracy thousands of miles away
. Ther was no Jim Crow laws in 1965 thanks to the republicans in the house and senate.

Condolences to all in the Ali family. Sad ti see a guy pass away at only 74. Nowadays that is a young age for someone to die. Look a Bernie Sanders. He's 74 and he's a bundle of energy. Same with Ringo Starr and Mick Jagger, who tour the world and dance all over stages.

Something does need to be said about this "greatest" title we keep seeing and hearing so much, though. Muhammad Ali (AKA Cassius Clay) was perhaps "the greatest" at showmanship and self-promotion. As a boxer, he was a very good one, but he was far from being the greatest at that.

He lost a few fights, and there are other boxers (Rocky Marciano, Floyd Mayweather, Joe Calzaghe, Ricardo Lopez, Sven Ottke, Edwin Valero, and others) who fought dozens of fights, and still went UNDEFEATED. Valero won all 27 of his fights, all of them by knockouts. Not fair to these guys to call Ali "the greatest".

List of undefeated boxing world champions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How many of those guys had four prime years taken away because they stood up for their political principles?

Is dodging the draft now considered a political principle?
Ali did not dodge the draft, he met it head on. While conservatives were sending their sons to Canada or getting them college deferments, Muhammad Ali just refused to step across that line at the inception station. That was a powerful moment that stands as one of the most spectacular in Black History.

Here was a real man who was courageous enough to let the the White world know he was a Black man who demanded to be in control of his fate and not just a shill for corporate America. With Jim Crow and a plethora of other racial atrocities as the backdrop of his refusal to be drafted, Ali's decision became even more important during the era of MLK. Frankly it would have been interesting to see other Black draftees follow the advise of MLK and do what Ali did.

Thousands of Black men died in Vietnam as in all of our wars; even as their loved ones, left behind, still had to struggle with their real enemy: RW conservatism/racism. Ali knew that and was brave enough and smart enough to bring it out to be recorded by the unblinking eye of the news cameras for the entire world to see. He was willing to make that ultimate sacrifice and gained more respect in that moment than all the Blacks who acquiesced and went with the flow; earning nothing but more contempt by many Whites who hated them anyway…and hated obsequious Blacks even more.

A lot of BS in your post, but at the very least Ali was honest about his refusal obey the law and defend his country from Communism. Real Americans served, and most of those that objected to engaging in combat were given non-combat jobs. I bet you would defend that great RW Conservative, Bill Clinton's college deferments and lying to avoid the draft.

Much is made of Ali having to sit out for almost four years while his case was settled

It was part of his prime years as a boxer

But if you look at the period 1965-1970, there were not a lot of great fighters for him to fight. He would have continued his bum of the month fights

By sitting out four years, he saved himself wear and tear and was better suited to fight Frazier, Norton, Forman in the early 70's

. Ther was no Jim Crow laws in 1965 thanks to the republicans in the house and senate.

And LBJ pushed through the Civil Rights Bill. Yes, things were happening.

But if you are claiming that everything was made right in 1965, you are either ignoring what actually happened or you are ignorant. I am betting on the former.

Ali didn't mention that. He specifically said no Viet Cong called him a ******. Like that is a valid excuse. Every ethnicity has faced discrimination. Look at the Irish, Japenese, Germans,. They overcame and moved on. Black self-victimhood is becoming an industry.

Oh and don't be so sure if four white boys where murdered for racial reasons this regime in Washington would be quick to prosecute if at all.
It's kinda hard to criticize black victim hood when they're still working on desegregating the schools in Mississippi and Louisiana.

Shame this has drifted so much. Ali was a great man who stood up for what he believed in at great cost. We could use more people like him.

Ali didn't mention that. He specifically said no Viet Cong called him a ******. Like that is a valid excuse. Every ethnicity has faced discriminations. Look at the Irish, Japenese, Germans,. They overcame and moved on. Black self-victimhood is becoming an industry.

Comparing the race-baiters of today with the atrocities against the blacks in the 1960s is simply disingenuous.

Moved on and overcame? Blacks were given the vote in 1869. People trying to get blacks to vote were murdered 100 years later. So don't pretend that there was not a serious, violent movement against blacks.
Blacks could vote in the North and the South. Democrats made it harder with those tests prior to handing them a ballot.

True.
John Wayne made movies about the war while wearing make-up...

Bloody Sunday happened in 1965. 50 people were hospitalized after being beaten by police (state and local).

. Your last words are something to think about, because it's the shoe being on the other foot syndrome. Does this nation move towards equality or does it move towards a power shift for reasons of vengence once the power shift is obtained ? The only way of knowing the answer to that, is to keep the eyes and ears open to the rhetoric as it is written or spoken by those who keep vengence in their heads instead of progress towards a united nation under one flag with liberty and justice for all Americans.

Blacks could vote in the North and the South. Democrats made it harder with those tests prior to handing them a ballot.

I don't give a rat's ass whether it was democrats or republicans, and that is completely irrelevant here.

Blacks were still being beaten by the authorities for trying to vote or register voters. Bloody Sunday was a perfect example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back