Rest in Peace Muhammad Ali

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of those guys had four prime years taken away because they stood up for their political principles?

Is dodging the draft now considered a political principle?
Ali did not dodge the draft, he met it head on. While conservatives were sending their sons to Canada or getting them college deferments, Muhammad Ali just refused to step across that line at the inception station. That was a powerful moment that stands as one of the most spectacular in Black History.

Here was a real man who was courageous enough to let the the White world know he was a Black man who demanded to be in control of his fate and not just a shill for corporate America. With Jim Crow and a plethora of other racial atrocities as the backdrop of his refusal to be drafted, Ali's decision became even more important during the era of MLK. Frankly it would have been interesting to see other Black draftees follow the advise of MLK and do what Ali did.

Thousands of Black men died in Vietnam as in all of our wars; even as their loved ones, left behind, still had to struggle with their real enemy: RW conservatism/racism. Ali knew that and was brave enough and smart enough to bring it out to be recorded by the unblinking eye of the news cameras for the entire world to see. He was willing to make that ultimate sacrifice and gained more respect in that moment than all the Blacks who acquiesced and went with the flow; earning nothing but more contempt by many Whites who hated them anyway…and hated obsequious Blacks even more.

A lot of BS in your post, but at the very least Ali was honest about his refusal obey the law and defend his country from Communism. Real Americans served, and most of those that objected to engaging in combat were given non-combat jobs. I bet you would defend that great RW Conservative, Bill Clinton's college deferments and lying to avoid the draft.

There is no BS in my post. That is why you failed to point to it! By the way, that tactic is getting old. When Ali refused to fight for America, blacks really had little or no representation in this country. They were, de facto, second class citizens. What incentive did black people have to fight Communism when White based capitalism had been so cruel to them? What loyalties did they owe to a nation that despised them, had enslaved them, cheated them, and had allowed terrorists to murder them with impunity for decades?
. It begs the question of why did they want to remain here during all that, instead of being repatriated to what they called as their homeland in Africa ? Was it that they were manipulated by big business for years to have them think that they were needed here regardless of how bad things were for them ? Is big business still this influential, that it can influence huge populations to endure hell in order to remain in a nation that might be hostile to them ? Corporations and government for corporations are truly diabolical in the ways that it can manipulate entire populations to do it's bidding for them, and do it in some of the most hostile environments imaginable.

Most poor and middle class Americans have no money or means to leave nor do they have the desire. Repatriation for almost 40 million people would be economically unfeasible.

Besides, the Black American birthright is as valid as yours as indicated by the US Constitution. (XIVth ammendment)

Ali did not dodge the draft, he met it head on. While conservatives were sending their sons to Canada or getting them college deferments, Muhammad Ali just refused to step across that line at the inception station. That was a powerful moment that stands as one of the most spectacular in Black History.

Here was a real man who was courageous enough to let the the White world know he was a Black man who demanded to be in control of his fate and not just a shill for corporate America. With Jim Crow and a plethora of other racial atrocities as the backdrop of his refusal to be drafted, Ali's decision became even more important during the era of MLK. Frankly it would have been interesting to see other Black draftees follow the advise of MLK and do what Ali did.

Thousands of Black men died in Vietnam as in all of our wars; even as their loved ones, left behind, still had to struggle with their real enemy: RW conservatism/racism. Ali knew that and was brave enough and smart enough to bring it out to be recorded by the unblinking eye of the news cameras for the entire world to see. He was willing to make that ultimate sacrifice and gained more respect in that moment than all the Blacks who acquiesced and went with the flow; earning nothing but more contempt by many Whites who hated them anyway…and hated obsequious Blacks even more.

A lot of BS in your post, but at the very least Ali was honest about his refusal obey the law and defend his country from Communism. Real Americans served, and most of those that objected to engaging in combat were given non-combat jobs. I bet you would defend that great RW Conservative, Bill Clinton's college deferments and lying to avoid the draft.

There is no BS in my post. That is why you failed to point to it! By the way, that tactic is getting old. When Ali refused to fight for America, blacks really had little or no representation in this country. They were, de facto, second class citizens. What incentive did black people have to fight Communism when White based capitalism had been so cruel to them? What loyalties did they owe to a nation that despised them, had enslaved them, cheated them, and had allowed terrorists to murder them with impunity for decades?

I didn't point out the BS because there was so much of it. Did you ever wonder why Colin Powell fought for this country?

Many Blacks fought for America and many died or spilled blood. Like Colin, they saw the military as a way out of the daily morass and drudgery that confronted them as civilians. Powell was likely seduced by the prestige of of being an officer. That rarity among Blacks back then was a particularly seductive proposition. And you didn't point out BS because there was none. Just name ONE…thats all, I dare you!

When I served there were a lot of white and black guys that enlisted to get the GI Bill so they could go to college. In my case I went and got my BSEE. Tell me about your reason for serving in the military.

I would like a link to Colin Powell where he said what you think he said.

I didn't point out the BS because there was so much of it. Did you ever wonder why Colin Powell fought for this country?

Many Blacks fought for America and many died or spilled blood. Like Colin, they saw the military as a way out of the daily morass and drudgery that confronted them as civilians. Powell was likely seduced by the prestige of of being an officer. That rarity among Blacks back then was a particularly seductive proposition. And you didn't point out BS because there was none. Just name ONE…thats all, I dare you!

I will wait for your answer to my question about that R/W conservative Bill Clinton who dodged the draft with college deferments and lying. This was in reference to your BS comments about conservatives getting deferments and going to Canada, as if liberals didn't do that as well.
The BS about Bill Clinton wasn't mine, it is yours alone. I didn't mention him, YOU did. And as a southern White teen back in the 60s Clinton would have been indoctrinated by southern conservatism. Further, when I mentioned that conservatives were dodging the draft and getting deferments, I don't think it was incumbent upon me to show liberals were doing the same thing. You have just confessed that my premise wasn't BS after all.

A family spokesman says Muhammad Ali died of septic shock "due to unspecified natural causes."
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/muhammad-alis-hometown-mourns-loss-of-favorite-son
Spokesman Bob Gunnell says Ali died Friday at 9:10 p.m., spending the last hour of his life surrounded by his family. He was initially hospitalized in the Phoenix area on Monday.

His funeral is scheduled for Friday afternoon at the KFC Yum! Center in Louisville, Kentucky.

Eulogies will be given by former President Clinton, Billy Crystal and Bryant Gumbel.

Gunnell says Ali was a citizen of the world and he wanted people of all walks of life to be able to attend. The funeral will be translated and streamed on the Internet.

One of Ali's daughters is describing her father's last moments, saying his heart wouldn't stop beating for 30 minutes after all of his other organs failed.

Hana Ali writes on Instagram that "no one had even seen anything like it."

She says the family was surrounding Ali, hugging and kissing him, holding his hands and chanting an Islamic prayer while his heart kept beating as his other organs failed.

She calls it a "true testament to the strength of his spirit and will."

Muhammad Ali died of septic shock in Arizona; funeral to be held in Louisville, Kentucky

. It begs the question of why did they want to remain here during all that, instead of being repatriated to what they called as their homeland in Africa ? Was it that they were manipulated by big business for years to have them think that they were needed here regardless of how bad things were for them ? Is big business still this influential, that it can influence huge populations to endure hell in order to remain in a nation that might be hostile to them ? Corporations and government for corporations are truly diabolical in the ways that it can manipulate entire populations to do it's bidding for them, and do it in some of the most hostile environments imaginable.

Most poor and middle class Americans have no money or means to leave nor do they have the desire. Repatriation for almost 40 million people would be economically unfeasible.

Besides, the Black American birthright is as valid as yours as indicated by the US Constitution. (XIVth ammendment)
. Not talking about now, but was talking about back when things were really bad for them, but if they want to do it now, then go for it, because most could afford it now if want to, and if ask, the feds would provide the means for them to accomplish the task. This would be better than living in a place where all you think you can do is hate for the rest of your life in the place where you currently live. Isn't it the case where people should always persue happiness in life ? I try to live as happy as I can, and the last thing I need is people being focused on destroying my happiness when I had nothing to do with their sadness and unhappiness in life.

When I served there were a lot of white and black guys that enlisted to get the GI Bill so they could go to college. In my case I went and got my BSEE. Tell me about your reason for serving in the military.

I served because I wanted to do something meaningful for myself and this country. At the time I was drafted, I felt extremely patriotic and had a head full of fanciful dreams of seeing far away places, meeting people and enriching my existence here on earth.

My youthful exuberance drove me to take advantage of my conscription and the camaraderie I found among soldiers of all races was enough to cause me to stay until retirement. I got a much fairer shake in the Army than I did as a civilian; I rose through the ranks so fast, I couldn't quit. I loved it. But when I retired, I returned to the real world where racism and bigotry and White Flight was still pervasive, I was disappointed , saddened and somewhat embittered.

Colin Powell? Where did you see that I quoted him? And what has he to do with this op?

. Oh and their birthright is not in question here, but it's their happiness living with or alongside of whitey here that is in question. To hear or read some of the racist remarks that some have about whitey and America, it only tells me that they should be pursuing a quest to get away from that which they hate so badly in life. If that means moving to a place where there is little to know whitey for them to encounter, then by all means go for it. Ohh and for those who are haters, how about quit trashing the black Americans who love their Americanism, and love life living with or alongside of their white brothers and sisters here.

Last edited:
He was also great at proving it in the ring.
He did NOT prove to be "the greatest" in the ring, as I showed in previous posts. He wasn't even close to being the greatest.
that is all up to the individual.....who you think is the greatest may not be a top 5 fighter in someone elses list....but im willing to bet Ali will be in more top 5 or no 1 positions than the fighter you think is the greatest....

Condolences to all in the Ali family. Sad ti see a guy pass away at only 74. Nowadays that is a young age for someone to die. Look a Bernie Sanders. He's 74 and he's a bundle of energy. Same with Ringo Starr and Mick Jagger, who tour the world and dance all over stages.

Something does need to be said about this "greatest" title we keep seeing and hearing so much, though. Muhammad Ali (AKA Cassius Clay) was perhaps "the greatest" at showmanship and self-promotion. As a boxer, he was a very good one, but he was far from being the greatest at that.

He lost a few fights, and there are other boxers (Rocky Marciano, Floyd Mayweather, Joe Calzaghe, Ricardo Lopez, Sven Ottke, Edwin Valero, and others) who fought dozens of fights, and still went UNDEFEATED. Valero won all 27 of his fights, all of them by knockouts. Not fair to these guys to call Ali "the greatest".

List of undefeated boxing world champions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How many of those guys had four prime years taken away because they stood up for their political principles?

Ali had legitimate religious objections to the war. The Supreme Court unanimously agreed with him

Clay v. United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

. Not talking about now, but was talking about back when things were really bad for them, but if they want to do it now, then go for it, because most could afford it now if want to, and if ask, the feds would provide the means for them to accomplish the task. This would be better than living in a place where all you think you can do is hate for the rest of your life in the place where you currently live. Isn't it the case where people should always persue happiness in life ? I try to live as happy as I can, and the last thing I need is people being focused on destroying my happiness when I had nothing to do with their sadness and unhappiness in life.
Well, Black Americans cannot be repatriated to a place where they have never been. Most probably wouldn't want to leave anyway because they are NOT unhappy or sad as you posit. Most are prospering and being viable citizens thanks to liberals and their own initiatives. And with RW Whites like you quickly disappearing, the option to stay here is a tantalizing prospect. Why leave a wonderful country that will soon merge into one racial category…human!

I served because I wanted to do something meaningful for myself and this country. At the time I was drafted, I felt extremely patriotic and had a head full of fanciful dreams of seeing far away places, meeting people and enriching my existence here on earth.

My youthful exuberance drove me to take advantage of my conscription and the camaraderie I found among soldiers of all races was enough to cause me to stay until retirement. I got a much fairer shake in the Army than I did as a civilian; I rose through the ranks so fast, I couldn't quit. I loved it. But when I retired, I returned to the real world where racism and bigotry and White Flight was still pervasive, I was disappointed , saddened and somewhat embittered.

Colin Powell? Where did you see that I quoted him? And what has he to do with this op?
. So the government coddled you instead of preparing you, and therefore it had you believing that you couldn't make it in the real world instead of preparing you for it once you got out ? And because of this, it led to your utter disappointment when re-entering the real world once you left the safety blanket found in the governments bosom who created a world for you free of problems while there ? Is it your dreams that the government would take over the real world for you, just so you won't ever be offended again in life ? This is the problem of government, where as it isn't fixing things, but rather creating dependency as seen in this post that illustrates what happened once you left the governments safety net created for you.

I met him when I was a kid in the locker room after his fight with Charlie Powell in Pittsburgh. When you were on the room with him, you realized that you were in the presence of greatness.
I was a fan even though I didn't know at the time anything about his racial politics or racial stance in life. I just new him as a heavy weight boxer who was running his mouth big time, and then backing it up in the ring. Learned way later on about his refusing his military service requirement at the time, and his racial ideology at the time. He was a great fighter in the ring, and we sure did enjoy the show.
As far as his refusing military service, I can understand. He had a contract with White businessmen from Louisville and his selective service rating was 4F. He was naivenough to believe this. Then his contract was up and he signed with some Black businessmen from Detroit. He became 1a and got his draft notice.

Well, Black Americans cannot be repatriated to a place where they have never been. Most probably wouldn't want to leave anyway because they are NOT unhappy or sad as you posit. Most are prospering and being viable citizens thanks to liberals and their own initiatives. And with RW Whites like you quickly disappearing, the option to stay here is a tantalizing prospect. Why leave a wonderful country that will soon merge into one racial category…human!
. Your dreaming that it will merge into one racial category in which is based upon being human, and not being categorized as being something other than that tells me you are blind, deaf and dumb to all the unrest and hate that is being spewed and projected by the haters in this nation now, and this be it from black haters or who ever they are these days. I'm with you on the human note, but not naieve about it all either. Your words about me getting out of the way by death, is you accusing me as being racist against blacks, but you are so wrong on that one, but I am against those who are anti-American, and their are blacks who are anti-American because whites are part of the equation still, but the dream of having the whites become a minority in order to straighten this whole thing out is a liberal racist backed pipe dream.

Last edited:

. So the government coddled you instead of preparing you, and therefore it had you believing that you couldn't make it in the real world instead of preparing you for it once you got out ? And because of this, it led to your utter disappointment when re-entering the real world once you left the safety blanket found in the governments bosom who created a world for you free of problems while there ? Is it your dreams that the government would take over the real world for you, just so you won't ever be offended again in life ? This is the problem of government, where as it isn't fixing things, but rather creating dependency as seen in this post that illustrates what happened once you left the governments safety net created for you.

So you are equating military retirees with being coddled? Careful, you are treading on thin ice there, buster. First you deride people for not serving and when they do serve you don't appreciate that either. Screw you. WhenI retired from service I was still a young man but I had no problem honing the leadership skills I had learned in the military and putting those skills to good use in starting my own business. My disappointment came as a result of running into assholes like you, not not because I couldn't "make it." I was used to Whites and Blacks working, living and fighting together to achieve mutual goals. The very existence of people like you makes me more inclined to agree with Ali. He must have been around people of yourilk more thanI was in his formative years…your kind created his worldview of America.

Is Iraq?
Tell Obama to get the fuck out of there idiot

No Iraq is not. Once he's finished cleaning up Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Wolfowitz's clusterfuck, I'm sure he will.
Dear lord, you're still whining about bush? Get a fucking life asshole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The people Bush murdered are still dead and there is no statute of limitations on murder... asshole. ....

He didn't "murder" anyone, drama-queen. Words have meaning.
You know more about it than Vincent Bugliosi who successfully prosecuted 102 of 103 felonies including Charles Manson? Bugliosi makes a case for murder 2 at the least. Read the fucking book before opening your yap with the "drama-queen shit.
The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So you are equating military retirees with being coddled? Careful, you are treading on thin ice there, buster. First you deride people for not serving and when they do serve you don't appreciate that either. Screw you. WhenI retired from service I was still a young man but I had no problem honing the leadership skills I had learned in the military and putting those skills to good use in starting my own business. My disappointment came as a result of running into assholes like you, not not because I couldn't "make it." I was used to Whites and Blacks working, living and fighting together to achieve mutual goals. The very existence of people like you makes me more inclined to agree with Ali. He must have been around people of yourilk more thanI was in his formative years…your kind created his worldview of America.
I am working directly from your attitude in which covers you specifically, and not blanketing all of the military service, so get over it or give your opinions somewhere else.

. You don't have to be more inclined to believe Ali, and thanks for confirming his racist position in life, but you want to believe in Ali's position, and so your just looking for an excuse.

. Your dreaming that it will merge into one racial category in which is based upon being human, and not being categorized as being something other than that tells me you are blind, deaf and dumb to all the unrest and hate that is being spewed and projected by the haters in this nation now, and this be it from black haters or who ever they are these days. I'm with you on the human note, but not naieve about it all either. Your words about me getting out of the way by death, is you accusing me as being racist against blacks, but you are so wrong on that one, but I am against those who are anti-American, and their are blacks who are anti-American because whites are part of the equation still, but the dream of having the whites become a minority in order to straighten this whole thing out is a liberal racist backed pipe dream.
Yawnnnn!

. You don't have to be more inclined to believe Ali, and thanks for confirming his racist position in life, but you want to believe in Ali's position, and so your just looking for an excuse.
YAWWNNNNN!

Is Iraq?
Tell Obama to get the fuck out of there idiot

No Iraq is not. Once he's finished cleaning up Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Wolfowitz's clusterfuck, I'm sure he will.
Dear lord, you're still whining about bush? Get a fucking life asshole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The people Bush murdered are still dead and there is no statute of limitations on murder... asshole. ....

He didn't "murder" anyone, drama-queen. Words have meaning.
You know more about it than Vincent Bugliosi who successfully prosecuted 102 of 103 felonies including Charles Manson? ....

No matter who wrote some book to take money from idiots and suckers like you, words still have meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back