Restaraunt gives discount for praying

Well I wasn't so much concerned with what you'd frown on as with a consistent application of the legal principle. ...

What you were grilling me on, both with the burka and "burka-like" scenarios, was the consistent application of my approach.

...People here seem to be willing to ignore the obvious religious discrimination of this case, yet it's relatively easy to imagine (or, in fact, find) equivalent circumstances that they'd "frown on". ...

But apparently not so easy to come up with equivalent circumstances in which my proposal is shown to be hypocritical? Because you haven't.

The reason I'd frown on gender-exclusive discounts is directly related to the principle at the core of my approach, specifically that the only justifiable policies are those involving universally accessible criteria.

I don't agree there's any obvious religious discrimination at play in Mary's case. In fact, in light of her widely publicized statements, it's pretty obvious to me that the opposite of religious discrimination is occurring there.

...I Just see an awful lot of hypocrisy in the way we apply discrimination laws and I think there's a reason for that. I think we all know, that if the concept were applied consistently we'd have a ubiquitous government telling us what to think, and what not to think, at every turn. I guess it's good we recognize that, but it seems it would give us pause to understand that that's what's going on currently in the instances where we do enforce it.

Agreed.

Forum List

Back