Restaurant die-off is first course of California’s $15 minimum wage

I don't know about you but I care because I would prefer to see businesses thrive and people gainfully employed as opposed to being reliant on government handouts. The more government handouts the more burden placed on businesses and those currently employed.
Why should we care; social services cost around fourteen dollars an hour anyway.

In a pair of affluent coastal California counties, the canary in the mineshaft has gotten splayed, spatchcocked and plated over a bed of unintended consequences, garnished with sprigs of locally sourced economic distortion and non-GMO, “What the heck were they thinking?”

The result of one early experiment in a citywide $15 minimum wage is an ominous sign for the state’s poorer inland counties as the statewide wage floor creeps toward the mark.

Consider San Francisco, an early adopter of the $15 wage. It’s now experiencing a restaurant die-off, minting jobless hash-slingers, cashiers, busboys, scullery engineers and line cooks as they get pink-slipped in increasing numbers. And the wage there hasn’t yet hit $15.

As the East Bay Times reported in January, at least 60 restaurants around the Bay Area had closed since September alone.

A recent study by Michael Luca at Harvard Business School and Dara Lee Luca at Mathematica Policy Research found that every $1 hike in the minimum wage brings a 14 percent increase in the likelihood of a 3.5-star restaurant on Yelp! closing.

Another telltale is San Diego, where voters approved increasing the city’s minimum wage to $11.50 per hour from $10.50, this after the minimum wage was increased from $8 an hour in 2015 – meaning hourly costs have risen 43 percent in two years.

The cost increases have pushed San Diego restaurants to the brink, Stephen Zolezzi, president of the Food and Beverage Association of San Diego County, told the San Diego Business Journal. Watch for the next mass die-off there...

Luckily, I live in the central coast area between L.A. and San Francisco, so this area hasn't gone as extreme left as those parts of California.

Mar 15, 2016 ... Around 60 percent of new restaurants fail within the first year. And nearly 80 percent shutter before their fifth anniversary. Often, the No. 1 reason is simply location — and the general lack of self-awareness that you have no business actually being in that location.
The right wing prefers to "blame the poor". Those Firms would have probably failed anyway.

Yes they would have failed anyway and for reasons other than payroll costs as the study clearly shows, and that's why these shitbag repubs use restaurants as their leading indicator to condemn the higher rate of pay.

The "top poster of the month" doesn't understand that the restaurant industry will become way too expensive; thus, people will stop eating out because it'll break their budget. It already costs a pair of people $30 to go out to eat at a restaurant on a weekend night. For a person making $15 an hour, that's an okay price, but add another $10 and it comes to the point where I can just buy groceries instead.

Ahhj I hurt you ignorant feelings child?a gain their will still be resteraunts ..

Hell if I will ever cook at home.

You know what, I'm going to personally message a mod just so you'll never get that kind of "status" ever again. If I show them the stupid shit you post, they'll laugh so hard they'll shit their pants at how you could even be considered a poster of the month.
It's only the number of posts Bear made. Are you new here? Don't know what it means?
He clearly doesn't know much of anything.

I clearly do..prove I am wrong here tard I will be waiting...

I was responding to the other guy, maybe read it again. Go fuck yourself.

Restaurants rarely go out of business because of price. If the food is good, people will go there to eat. Restaurants fail all the time. Price of food is at the very bottom of the list of reasons of failure.

Asking business owners to pay people a livable wage isn't unreasonable. If a business owner cannot afford to pay people a livable wage, then perhaps they shouldn't be running a business.
Again with the livable qualifier. I had low paying jobs but lived within my means. I'm still here so I obviously lived. Nobody owes you a living. Want more pay? Work your way up or get a better job.

No one can live on a $8 an hour without getting a second job or receiving government assistance.

You know what, fine. Keep the current minium wage but conservatives shouldn't whine about people receiving government subsidies like section 8, food stamps and medicade.

Either increase the minium wage or give people subsidies.

Restaurants rarely go out of business because of price. If the food is good, people will go there to eat. Restaurants fail all the time. Price of food is at the very bottom of the list of reasons of failure.

Asking business owners to pay people a livable wage isn't unreasonable. If a business owner cannot afford to pay people a livable wage, then perhaps they shouldn't be running a business.
Again with the livable qualifier. I had low paying jobs but lived within my means. I'm still here so I obviously lived. Nobody owes you a living. Want more pay? Work your way up or get a better job.

No one can live on a $8 an hour without getting a second job or receiving government assistance.

You know what, fine. Keep the current minium wage but conservatives shouldn't whine about people receiving government subsidies like section 8, food stamps and medicade.

You can't bully me into accepting your world view. You believe people are owed a lifestyle. I don't. Like I said I lived on dirt wages so I know what I'm talking about, you don't.

You can't bully me into accepting your world view. You believe people are owed a lifestyle. I don't. Like I said I lived on dirt wages so I know what I'm talking about, you don't.

If you work you should be able to make a living and not live like a rat.

I just said I lived through it and didn't say I lived like a rat. Everything is warped in your twisted mind. If you are only worth a dollar and hour that's all I'm willing to pay.

Maybe they should not pass the wage increase on to the consumer. Sooner or later these business owners need to take the hit.
even if taking that hit puts them in the red?

Tell me just what is the average profit margin of a restaurant?

In a pair of affluent coastal California counties, the canary in the mineshaft has gotten splayed, spatchcocked and plated over a bed of unintended consequences, garnished with sprigs of locally sourced economic distortion and non-GMO, “What the heck were they thinking?”

The result of one early experiment in a citywide $15 minimum wage is an ominous sign for the state’s poorer inland counties as the statewide wage floor creeps toward the mark.

Consider San Francisco, an early adopter of the $15 wage. It’s now experiencing a restaurant die-off, minting jobless hash-slingers, cashiers, busboys, scullery engineers and line cooks as they get pink-slipped in increasing numbers. And the wage there hasn’t yet hit $15.

As the East Bay Times reported in January, at least 60 restaurants around the Bay Area had closed since September alone.

A recent study by Michael Luca at Harvard Business School and Dara Lee Luca at Mathematica Policy Research found that every $1 hike in the minimum wage brings a 14 percent increase in the likelihood of a 3.5-star restaurant on Yelp! closing.

Another telltale is San Diego, where voters approved increasing the city’s minimum wage to $11.50 per hour from $10.50, this after the minimum wage was increased from $8 an hour in 2015 – meaning hourly costs have risen 43 percent in two years.

The cost increases have pushed San Diego restaurants to the brink, Stephen Zolezzi, president of the Food and Beverage Association of San Diego County, told the San Diego Business Journal. Watch for the next mass die-off there...

Luckily, I live in the central coast area between L.A. and San Francisco, so this area hasn't gone as extreme left as those parts of California.

Mar 15, 2016 ... Around 60 percent of new restaurants fail within the first year. And nearly 80 percent shutter before their fifth anniversary. Often, the No. 1 reason is simply location — and the general lack of self-awareness that you have no business actually being in that location.
Correct about new restaurants failing, but everyone who actually read the article knows that isn't the case here.

Are you trying to say the Fresno (or Modesto) Bee is a RW blog?

Joining San Francisco’s restaurant die-off was rising star AQ, which in 2012 was named a James Beard Award finalist for the best new restaurant in America. The restaurant’s profit margins went from a reported 8.5 percent in 2012 to 1.5 percent by 2015. Most restaurants are thought to require margins of 3 and 5 percent.

If what’s happening with one early adopter of the $15 wage progression is any indication, locally famous inland hash houses and burger joints from Calexico to the Cow Counties will disappear as mandated wages climb to $15 statewide. And that will only be the start of things.
The Art of Cookery is not fungible with the Art of making Profit.
As the article proved, there's truth in your statement. A well rated restaurant eeked out a 8.5% profit before the mandated minimum wage rules then closed its doors due to a 1.5% margin whereas a minimum of 3-5% is required to keep restaurants open.

You do know that with tips a waitress or bartender often makes well over 15 an hour don't you?
At 15 an hour and no tips they are getting a pay cut

The right wing prefers to "blame the poor". Those Firms would have probably failed anyway.
No one is blaming the poor, we just can't seem to get it across to those not in business that artificially increasing the costs on a business has consequences. Not every job can support a family of 4. And raising labor costs by 43% in 2 years is not a small burden.
Why should we care; social services cost around fourteen dollars an hour anyway.
Again, do the math. Social services are based on taxes. If there are no businesses to tax, where do you expect the money to come from?

The Democrats are looking through the wrong end of the telescope on this just as they did with Obamacare. Yes, you can't buy a three bedroom house, two car garage home and send two kids to college on flipping burgers at McDonalds. Instead of jacking up minimum wage resulting in higher prices and businesses collapsing or automating thereby reducing jobs, why not just find ways to reduce costs? Obamacare is in trouble because it didn't fix the main problem with healthcare: costs.

No one is blaming the poor, we just can't seem to get it across to those not in business that artificially increasing the costs on a business has consequences. Not every job can support a family of 4. And raising labor costs by 43% in 2 years is not a small burden.
Again, do the math. Social services are based on taxes. If there are no businesses to tax, where do you expect the money to come from?

I guess that is DT's problem now hey. The elites do all they can to not pay taxes, laundering money , sending it to the Virgin Islands, creating a fake foundation, etc. If a restaurant is good with good service, the more you pay your help, the longer they stay and work good for you, and the more thriving your business will be. What is expensive is to keep training help and have them come and go.

I guess that is DT's problem now hey. The elites do all they can to not pay taxes, laundering money , sending it to the Virgin Islands, creating a fake foundation, etc. If a restaurant is good with good service, the more you pay your help, the longer they stay and work good for you, and the more thriving your business will be. What is expensive is to keep training help and have them come and go.
Non sequitur. Just because the Feds are reducing taxes on the rich (something I disagree with BTW) doesn't mean urban centers like San Francisco and Chicago cannot tax them.

Another problem, as a previous link proved, is that passing a flat min wage across the board hurts businesses in smaller communities. Yes, cities are more expensive than rural areas, so why mandate minimum wage on a small family restaurant in Chico or Doyle with the result that the small restaurant closes and a fully automated McDonald's replaces it?

Correct about new restaurants failing, but everyone who actually read the article knows that isn't the case here.

Are you trying to say the Fresno (or Modesto) Bee is a RW blog?

Joining San Francisco’s restaurant die-off was rising star AQ, which in 2012 was named a James Beard Award finalist for the best new restaurant in America. The restaurant’s profit margins went from a reported 8.5 percent in 2012 to 1.5 percent by 2015. Most restaurants are thought to require margins of 3 and 5 percent.

If what’s happening with one early adopter of the $15 wage progression is any indication, locally famous inland hash houses and burger joints from Calexico to the Cow Counties will disappear as mandated wages climb to $15 statewide. And that will only be the start of things.
The Art of Cookery is not fungible with the Art of making Profit.
As the article proved, there's truth in your statement. A well rated restaurant eeked out a 8.5% profit before the mandated minimum wage rules then closed its doors due to a 1.5% margin whereas a minimum of 3-5% is required to keep restaurants open.
Good Capitalists like Henry Ford, doubled autoworker wages not minimum wages.

Don't believe in being legal to the laws of demand and supply, right winger.

Maybe they should not pass the wage increase on to the consumer. Sooner or later these business owners need to take the hit.

So you are not interested in jobs or wages, rather just interested in punishing people who invest in creating jobs and paying out wages?

Forum List

Back