Restaurant die-off is first course of California’s $15 minimum wage

Once again you moron 82% of McDonald's are owned by small business owners....

So again still scared to find out the slim profit margins ?

Why not tell us, we are too dumb. Please provide a link as well. Thanks.

Is this how the left in America really are? I only took night courses at a community college for mold making and once in awhile looked into franchise fees and profit margins of company's...

I thought all Lefty's say they graduated from a four year college on here?

Only in your mind.

So you post about stuff you never bothered to look into yourself?

Why is that?

I never wanted to own one, but I've worked at supper clubs putting myself through college. If a business can't pay their employees a good living wage they should shut their door. Also its such a easy google so I let you do it.

One what's a living wage?

Two why do you want doors of business to close and ruining anyone else chance for a job?

Three if it was a supper club you should of made kiler tips unless you sucked at it.

Maybe they should not pass the wage increase on to the consumer. Sooner or later these business owners need to take the hit.
Then the business will close entirely, putting everyone out of a job. Do you understand economic reality at all?

Yes, I do not care. The more money more people make they more they spend. Why do you think Bush gave checks out to everyone, some 500 or so when he was in office, to stimulate the economy. The middle and lower income , if they have more money it goes around and slowly makes it way to the top. Most business owners want to get rich overnight, they grow and over extend and that is why they fail or they have not done their marketing .

instead of trickle down, we know that does not work. I say trickle up.

Why not tell us, we are too dumb. Please provide a link as well. Thanks.

Is this how the left in America really are? I only took night courses at a community college for mold making and once in awhile looked into franchise fees and profit margins of company's...

Only in your mind.

Why is that?

I never wanted to own one, but I've worked at supper clubs putting myself through college. If a business can't pay their employees a good living wage they should shut their door. Also its such a easy google so I let you do it.

Two why do you want doors of business to close and ruining anyone else chance for a job?

Three if it was a supper club you should of made kiler tips unless you sucked at it.

I made killer tips. There is a job down the street paying more. Why would a business want to close its door, then they will be unemployed. See how that works. Its a 2 way street.

Maybe they should not pass the wage increase on to the consumer. Sooner or later these business owners need to take the hit.
Oh they are definitely taking the hit. It's such a hard hit that it bankrupted them.

Only in your mind.

Why is that?

I made killer tips. There is a job down the street paying more. Why would a business want to close its door, then they will be unemployed. See how that works. Its a 2 way street.

Your the one who said they should close their doors if they don't pay a living wage not me.

Then the business will close entirely, putting everyone out of a job. Do you understand economic reality at all?

Yes, I do not care. The more money more people make they more they spend. Why do you think Bush gave checks out to everyone, some 500 or so when he was in office, to stimulate the economy. The middle and lower income , if they have more money it goes around and slowly makes it way to the top. Most business owners want to get rich overnight, they grow and over extend and that is why they fail or they have not done their marketing .

Trickle up how? By artificially raising the minimum wage...that's trickle up poor

You obviously know nothing about business owners, especially in food service. It takes years for the average restaurant to start earning a profit, and during that time, many business owners take very small salaries and sometimes none at all. You obviously have never run a business or had to make a payroll. You should try it for a while.

Your first sentence explains a lot.

Let me just add another example. When I order Papa Johns, I have to pay $10.99 for a cheese pizza, pay the owner's sales tax for him, pay a $3.69 delivery fee, and then tip the driver on top of it (paying the employee's wage for the owner).

$10.99 (pizza) + 0.91 (tax) + $3.69 (delivery fee) + $5.00 (tip) = $20.59 for one fucking pizza. But damn, that pizza shop owner must be poor!!

You see him driving a Porsche?

You're saying if someone doesn't drive a Porche they're poor? I can already see this is the start of a string of retarded posts from you.

/---- Being spoiled by the best pizzarias in the world---Brooklyn----I wouldn't pay $2 for a chain pizza.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Generally, restaurants go out of business because their food and/or service sucks.

/---- more often than not a chef opens a restaurant and it fails even though the food is very good. Just because you can cook doesn't mean you can run all aspects of a restaurant like negotiating leases, dealing with vendors, tax departments, health department. The list goes on and on.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Restaurant die-off is first course of California’s $15 minimum wage

In a pair of affluent coastal California counties, the canary in the mineshaft has gotten splayed, spatchcocked and plated over a bed of unintended consequences, garnished with sprigs of locally sourced economic distortion and non-GMO, “What the heck were they thinking?”

The result of one early experiment in a citywide $15 minimum wage is an ominous sign for the state’s poorer inland counties as the statewide wage floor creeps toward the mark.

Consider San Francisco, an early adopter of the $15 wage. It’s now experiencing a restaurant die-off, minting jobless hash-slingers, cashiers, busboys, scullery engineers and line cooks as they get pink-slipped in increasing numbers. And the wage there hasn’t yet hit $15.

As the East Bay Times reported in January, at least 60 restaurants around the Bay Area had closed since September alone.

A recent study by Michael Luca at Harvard Business School and Dara Lee Luca at Mathematica Policy Research found that every $1 hike in the minimum wage brings a 14 percent increase in the likelihood of a 3.5-star restaurant on Yelp! closing.

Another telltale is San Diego, where voters approved increasing the city’s minimum wage to $11.50 per hour from $10.50, this after the minimum wage was increased from $8 an hour in 2015 – meaning hourly costs have risen 43 percent in two years.

The cost increases have pushed San Diego restaurants to the brink, Stephen Zolezzi, president of the Food and Beverage Association of San Diego County, told the San Diego Business Journal. Watch for the next mass die-off there...

Luckily, I live in the central coast area between L.A. and San Francisco, so this area hasn't gone as extreme left as those parts of California.

I think it's hilarious and will benefit Americans... More people will have to start eating home cooked meals.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. When the burger on the menu costs $3.00 to make, the fries cost $1.00 to make, and then you charge $10.99 for the entire meal without a $2.50 drink that costs the owner $0.05 a cup to fill, or tip, that's basically robbery. $13.50 for a meal that costs $4.50 to prepare and then I have to pay the owner's sales tax for him, his employee's wage, and then they still bitch because they're "poor," somehow... Amazing how other companies which pay standard minimum wage or a bit higher aren't "poor" but these "lowly" restaurant owners are. Bull shit.
I am learning the art of "short order cookery" on YouTube, in case i have to move out from mom's basement.

Let me just add another example. When I order Papa Johns, I have to pay $10.99 for a cheese pizza, pay the owner's sales tax for him, pay a $3.69 delivery fee, and then tip the driver on top of it (paying the employee's wage for the owner).

$10.99 (pizza) + 0.91 (tax) + $3.69 (delivery fee) + $5.00 (tip) = $20.59 for one fucking pizza. But damn, that pizza shop owner must be poor!!
Papa John doesn't complain about Little Caesar and his five dollar, hot and ready pizza.

Restaurants rarely go out of business because of price. If the food is good, people will go there to eat. Restaurants fail all the time. Price of food is at the very bottom of the list of reasons of failure.

Asking business owners to pay people a livable wage isn't unreasonable. If a business owner cannot afford to pay people a livable wage, then perhaps they shouldn't be running a business.

Restaurants rarely go out of business because of price. If the food is good, people will go there to eat. Restaurants fail all the time. Price of food is at the very bottom of the list of reasons of failure.

Asking business owners to pay people a livable wage isn't unreasonable. If a business owner cannot afford to pay people a livable wage, then perhaps they shouldn't be running a business.

Another one against jobs

Another one against jobs

I'm not against jobs, but you have to pay people a livable wage.

They're trying. More and more fast food places are implementing self-service kiosks here in California. I don't blame them either.

I so doubt that this is due to the wage increase, shame on them for paying min wage in the state to begin with. The cost of living is high in San Diego, and that is all they make. There comes a time when the worker just needs to say hell with it when the business owners want to get rich off their backs. I bet they do not even cost share health insurance. Self serve, well we all know waitresses do not make min wage.
You've obviously never been associated with a restaurant. It's a brutal business with very low margins and extreme swings in business climate. Plus there are very few businesses that I know of that could handle a 43% increase in labor costs over 2 years. I know it would put my business down, of course if I saw it coming I wouldn't wait, I'd get out immediately.

One very successful Italian restaurant owner told the secret to success was to stop employee theft. "If you can stop workers from stealing the olives, you got a chance."

Forum List

Back