Restoring A Constitutional Federal Government, The TX Plan

The following link takes you to a plan put forth by TX Governor Greg Abbott, to propose amendments to our Constitution, to bring the balance of powers back to the founders original intent.

It's a very lengthy document, 93 pages with footnotes, but it's worth the read. It explains in detail why the amendments are needed and thoroughly explains how far our republic has strayed form its founding. It's both educational and informative. The proposals would have to be implemented through a Article 5 convention, the establishment in both parties would reject them out of hand, they wouldn't want to give back the power they've accumulated over the years.

I don't fully agree with the plan entirely but it's a place to start the discussion.

Please don't comment until you at least read the full summary, it's only 2.5 pages.

Abbott-Constitutional-Proposals

I like the idea that two-thirds of the states can either remove a federal law or establish one themselves. It just makes sense to me that the states should have some method to override the federal government.

Except that the Congress does not have to call a V convenction.

The modal is "shall" not "will".

Sorry, boss, but you are wrong. I know, but you just are.

Neither Congress nor SCOTUS will ratify any amendments from a convention they don't approve.

It doesn't say " may do it whenever we damn well feel like it" either. I shall pay my taxes doesn't mean I will do it whenever I want. I have to do it. Learn english....

Neither Congress nor SCOTUS will ratify any amendments from a convention they don't approve.

It doesn't say " may do it whenever we damn well feel like it" either. I shall pay my taxes doesn't mean I will do it whenever I want. I have to do it. Learn english....

They are afraid of Trump! They are afraid of an article 5! They are afraid of their own shadow! And Jake is afraid to post his comments as RIGHTWINGER.

If that doesn't explain it all, I don't know what will!

The following link takes you to a plan put forth by TX Governor Greg Abbott, to propose amendments to our Constitution, to bring the balance of powers back to the founders original intent.

It's a very lengthy document, 93 pages with footnotes, but it's worth the read. It explains in detail why the amendments are needed and thoroughly explains how far our republic has strayed form its founding. It's both educational and informative. The proposals would have to be implemented through a Article 5 convention, the establishment in both parties would reject them out of hand, they wouldn't want to give back the power they've accumulated over the years.

I don't fully agree with the plan entirely but it's a place to start the discussion.

Please don't comment until you at least read the full summary, it's only 2.5 pages.

Its a pretty awful proposal. As it lowers the threshold necessary for the States to strip people of rights to 2/3rds rather than its proper 3/4. And the first thing that Texas would do with such authority would be to start taking away rights of federal citizens.

Its a pretty awful proposal. As it lowers the threshold necessary for the States to strip people of rights to 2/3rds rather than its proper 3/4. And the first thing that Texas would do with such authority would be to start taking away rights of federal citizens.

Another dummy chimes in, a State wouldn't be able to do a damn thing on its own. It would take 34 States to do anything. Does it hurt to be wrong so often?

Smiling...c'mon OK. You know the first four decisions that Texas would ignore would be Lawrence v. Texas, Roe V. Wade, Obergefell v Hodges and US v. Wong Kim Ark.

With Loving v. Virginia, Brown v. Board of Education and Johnson v. Texas being at least plausibly on the menu.

Republicans want to lower the threshold of stripping their citizens of rights....because they want to strip their citizens of rights.

The modality of the meaning of shall and will are similar not the same. The Congress will simply continuing ignoring the cry to call the Convention and suits have not been entertained favorably by SCOTUS. So show me 'how' the Convention will be convened. The States can't do it on their own authority; SCOTUS will simply throw it out.

Another dummy chimes in, a State wouldn't be able to do a damn thing on its own. It would take 34 States to do anything. Does it hurt to be wrong so often?

And when, pray tell, did I say a State could do anything on its own? I said if Texas could strip rights, it would. Oh, and what part of this sentence confused you so utterly?

As it lowers the threshold necessary for the States to strip people of rights to 2/3rds rather than its proper 3/4

Can you just highlight the portion you couldn't comprehend?

OK and ima are running around screaming. So what? Nothing will happen, no convention will be held.

Awful, ridiculous, idiotic, and wrong.

Clayton, no one is interested in your resume.

roflmao
Clayton, no one is interested in your resume.

roflmao
Clayton, no one is interested in your resume. roflmao
The 90% of America that understands you don't what you are talking about is not going to allow a V convention. Congress won't, SCOTUS won't.

Only bozos think that Trump will support such a thing, for he will permit no restriction on his EO and EA rights.

The 90% of America that understands you don't what you are talking about is not going to allow a V convention. Congress won't, SCOTUS won't.

It is not up to Congress or SCOTUS. If the required states file the petition the Congress shall convene the convention. It's not a request... it's not an option.

And when, pray tell, did I say a State could do anything on its own? I said if Texas could strip rights, it would. Oh, and what part of this sentence confused you so utterly?

As it lowers the threshold necessary for the States to strip people of rights to 2/3rds rather than its proper 3/4

No you said TX would, not try, here's your sign.

And the first thing that Texas would do with such authority would be to start taking away rights of federal citizens.

Now run along child.

It is not up to Congress or SCOTUS. If the required states file the petition the Congress shall convene the convention. It's not a request... it's not an option.

I agree......once its been determined that the threshold has been passed. I would argue that its Congress' duty to determine that threshold. Probably using the Office of the Federal Register.

No you said TX would, not try, here's your sign.

And the first thing that Texas would do with such authority would be to start taking away rights of federal citizens.

Now run along child.

And look at the sentence immediately before it:

As it lowers the threshold necessary for the States to strip people of rights to 2/3rds rather than its proper 3/4. And the first thing that Texas would do with such authority would be to start taking away rights of federal citizens

But I'm arguing that Texas alone can strip people of rights? Laughing.......you're embarrassing yourself. My post was a grand total of 3 sentences long. And still you couldn't help but blunder.

You're not very good at this, are you boy?

I agree......once its been determined that the threshold has been passed. I would argue that its Congress' duty to determine that threshold. Probably using the Office of the Federal Register.

There are already more than 600 requests from 49 States for a convention in the record, has been for years, so why hasn't congress called one? I've been asking my reps that question, have you?

There are already more than 600 requests from 49 States for a convention in the record, has been for years, so why hasn't congress called one? I've been asking my reps that question, have you?

Probably because they arguably haven't been about the same amendment.

The proposed "amendments" are absurd and are aimed at undermining the supremacy of the national government INTENDED within the four corners of the US Constitution that got rid of the Articles of Confederation in the first place. It's nothing more than a proposal for the neoconservative faction to take over national control through oligarchic rule and transform existing individual rights into majority rights & rule with the majority being that of the ruling oligarchs.

For those who haven't read them, here are Abbott's nine POS "proposed amendments":

I. Prohibit Congress from regulating activity that occurs wholly within one State.

II. Require Congress to balance its budget. (the only one worth consideration)

III. Prohibit administrative agencies—and the unelected bureaucrats that staff them—from creating federal law.

IV. Prohibit administrative agencies—and the unelected bureaucrats that staff them—from preempting state law.

V. Allow a two-thirds majority of the States to override a U.S. Supreme Court decision.

VI. Require a seven-justice super-majority vote for U.S. Supreme Court decisions that invalidate a democratically enacted law.

VII. Restore the balance of power between the federal and state governments by limiting the former to the powers expressly delegated to it in the Constitution.

VIII. Give state officials the power to sue in federal court when federal officials overstep their bounds.

IX. Allow a two-thirds majority of the States to override a federal law or regulation.

Forum List

Back