Retire as soon as possible.

I get that there are people who are just "wired to work". My wife is, but not me. I retired in 2019 and I enjoy every day. I haven't even considered going back to work.
The problem there is that most people work for someone else and not for themselves. They spend decades working so some other person can fulfill their desires and never have the time to fulfill their own.

When you realize you don't need to trade your hours for dimes you can truly find a purpose that is yours and not someone else's

I get that there are people who are just "wired to work". My wife is, but not me. I retired in 2019 and I enjoy every day. I haven't even considered going back to work.

Thats me,I have no desire to go back to work although I do miss hanging with my coworkers at closing time and having a few beers.
I also miss running a machine because in some cases it's enjoyable.
I just dont want to do it 5 days a week.

if people really felt their job was the expression of their purpose in life they would never retire

Thats me,I have no desire to go back to work although I do miss hanging with my coworkers at closing time and having a few beers.
I also miss running a machine because in some cases it's enjoyable.
I just dont want to do it 5 days a week.
I just had a lunch re-union with some former co-workers, that was really great! I agree I do miss the people I worked with all those years. Not sure what your profession is but part time might not be a bad deal.

The problem there is that most people work for someone else and not for themselves. They spend decades working so some other person can fulfill their desires and never have the time to fulfill their own.

When you realize you don't need to trade your hours for dimes you can truly find a purpose that is yours and not someone else's
It's not uncommon in academia to just keep on working especially if you get tenure. Since my wife is a professor I've met a lot of them.

It's not uncommon in academia to just keep on working especially if you get tenure. Since my wife is a professor I've met a lot of them.
That’s because their job is so easy and pays extraordinarily well.

I just had a lunch re-union with some former co-workers, that was really great! I agree I do miss the people I worked with all those years. Not sure what your profession is but part time might not be a bad deal.

I was a machinist for just short of 30 years.
One thing I definitely dont miss is coming home smelling like coolant.
Thought about buying a lathe and a mill but I wouldnt use it enough to justify the cost.

@65 i'm certainly all ears , kids are gone, no mortgage anymore , easy to keep the lights on. Thing is , i like what i do & it's lucrative .......so tell me why i should bow down to the Gub'Mit handout?

I don't trust any of them

~S~

@65 i'm certainly all ears , kids are gone, no mortgage anymore , easy to keep the lights on. Thing is , i like what i do & it's lucrative .......so tell me why i should bow down to the Gub'Mit handout?

I don't trust any of them

~S~

You shouldnt rely on Gov handouts.
The Wife and I see SS as the final payout,we have enough saved to live like we always have,by the time it's getting low we'll start spending the SS money.
We're finding that we spend way less money as we get older.

You shouldnt rely on Gov handouts.
The Wife and I see SS as the final payout,we have enough saved to live like we always have,by the time it's getting low we'll start spending the SS money.
We're finding that we spend way less money as we get older.
I'm listening HWGA, i guess i'm a tad stubborn , bustin' a** for 4 decades is kinda addictive

what would i do with myself , if i hadda get up w/ no place to go ?

I'd be lost.......see?

~S~

I'm listening HWGA, i guess i'm a tad stubborn , bustin' a** for 4 decades is kinda addictive

what would i do with myself , if i hadda get up w/ no place to go ?

I'd be lost.......see?

~S~

Take up golf,fishing or something else that interests you.
My problem is my hip is fucked,all of the things I used to do I can no longer do.
Fishing,hunting,messing around in the garage are now a no go.
I could actually still do these things but getting set up would be a real bitch.
Hell,I cant even clean the garage. Standing for more than 10 minutes becomes painful,and only having one hand to carry a things due to the necessity of using a cane makes doing things pretty much impossible.

I have nothing but ill will for all my emp!oyers. They have all padded on as far as I have been told. They were all awful terrible rotten people.

Wired to work folk die too. Any nobody at all cares about how hard they worked.

Forum List

Back