Retire as soon as possible.

Not so according to some. There are so many job opening many people have the flexibility to quit their existing job, then look for a new one.
Many have messed up lives and use it as an excuse to drop out. As a young man my life was pretty messed up as well, but work was my anchor (I still had to pay for those things that were messing up my life). :biggrin:

Last edited:
I strongly believe most workers consider their employers as enemies.

I'm confident none of mine do.

My businesses are successful because of my employees, and they're rewarded for that. I've had employees who were offered better paying jobs elsewhere who've elected to remain in my employ...

I could go ahead and retire now and, in fact, it seems like my smokin' hot puerto Rican girlfriend and I have been discussing it more and more lately. She'll be 53 in January and retired from NASA a couple of years ago.

The truth, though, is that I love my job. I love what I do. I love working with the people who work for me. I legitimately love getting up every morning and going to the office, if only for a couple of hours, every day.

I'm only 60 and I'm in reasonably good health. I could look at that in two ways:
  • I've got a few more good years in me to work, so why not do that since I enjoy it so much?
  • I'm relatively young and in good health, so why not spend my later years with the woman I share my life with pursuing a never ending life of leisure?
Quite honestly, both of those sound pretty good to me...

Many have messed up lives and use it as an excuse to drop out. As a young man my life was pretty messed up as well, but work was my anchor (I still had to pay for those things that were messing up my life). :biggrin:
Huge generalization.

Not for everyone of course.

"Building" a business often starts with having a job to start it up.

I did that. Sold my apartment building, a venture that started with my job. Saved up half of the down payment (took me 10 years). Borrowed the other half from my employer. Pays to do a good job on the job.

A person's employment history is an important part of obtaining a business loan. Also, assets used for collateral are usually obtained over time by traditional employment...a job.

You don't need a loan to start a business.

My renovation and construction business started as a weekend gig when I was 17. Every cent I earned from that went right back in to buying tools and equipment. My regular job paid my living expenses and when I was 21 I was full time in my own business

That has always been true
Yes but now many are quitting, where in the past workers felt trapped. My father worked for decades in a job he disliked because he felt he had to, to support a family of seven.

Yes but now many are quitting, where in the past workers felt trapped. My father worked for decades in a job he disliked because he felt he had to, to support a family of seven.
That's always been true too.

People today aren't having 7 kids, are having kids later in life etc. So there is a little more flexibility and a little less responsibility for younger people

That's always been true too.

People today aren't having 7 kids, are having kids later in life etc. So there is a little more flexibility and a little less responsibility for younger people
My experience is young people aren’t as dedicated to their jobs as baby boomers tended to be. They seem to place more importance on their personal lives, which I find admirable.

My dad made it through the Depression thanks to odd jobs and living at home. He took a low-paying factory job and never sought more. Many never felt secure enough to try for advancement. Such was the Depression experience.

Forum List

Back